Today's ride.

Wafflycathcsdir

Guest
Vernon & I went out for a short cycle ride today. V wanted to see how his bruised ribs would hold
up. I wanted to see if I could do better in the lung stakes than yesterday :)

Another glorious day weather wise. On our local route - part is used by quite a few HGVs using a
local rural industrial estate. Once again - mucho courtesy by said HGV drivers - giving us room,
hanging back when not safe to overtake etc., so many a wave of thanks were exchanged. This polite
cyclist/driver thing is remarkably pleasant :)

Then - prat motorist event occurred late in the ride. Round a couple or right angle blind bends on
narrow roads. vernon & I were cycling in single file - Vernon in front & me behind, with a bit of a
gap between us - it was also uphill slightly & by this time my lungs were objecting.Came out of the
bend and there was an oncoming HGV - no problem he was on the right side of the road. However,
screaming up behind me came prat motorist in a red car, far too fast round the bend, to find a
couple of cyclists in front of him (single file) and an oncoming HGV on a narrow road. Obviously he
wasn't going to slow down in the face of oncoming HGV as he overtook me and narrowly missed swiping
me as he screeched into the gap between Vernon & I, only becasue I braked like mad to avoid being
side swiped by prat motorist. Put it this way - the guy's tyres burnt rubber as he braked & swerved
between Vernon & I. If the gap between Vernon & I were shorter - i.e., If I hadn't of braked heavily
to avoid being side swiped - he'd have had me off my bike and possibly Vernon too. The smell of car
tyre rubber filled the air. Sadlt prat motorist's rear number plate was totally obscured by dirt and
he roared off as soon as the HGV went by. One can but hope said prat motorist wraps himself round a
tree soon, thus removing a danger from the roads - as long as he doesn't take anyone else with him.

Then, further along - on a straight - was an oncoming pedestrian - no footpath
- and the ped was walking facing the oncoming traffic. Also, behind, in the distance, I could hear
an approaching HGV. So I anticipated by giving a right hand signal to indicate I was going to
pull out to give the ped room and moved out a bit, just as a driver overtaking an obstruction
would indicate to move to overtake. HGV driver coming up from behind slowed up - once round ped
- HGV caught up and safely overtook V & I - as he started to overtake, I waved a thank you wave
and once past, HGV driver waved in return. Like I said, the polite cyclist/driver thing is
remarkably pleasant.

Then a bit later passed Ted from the cycling club out for his bike ride, so Vernon, Ted & I
exchanged a cheery hello.

All in all, not a bad day, discounting the idiot in the red car!

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

> Vernon & I went out for a short cycle ride today. V wanted to see how his bruised ribs would hold
> up. I wanted to see if I could do better in the lung stakes than yesterday :)
[...]
> All in all, not a bad day, discounting the idiot in the red car!

I hope Vernon's ribs are literally holding up. When I broke a rib (over the bars accident) I
remember the doctor stressing that I had to breath deeply, rather than holding back, to prevent a
lung infection. I found cycling good for this, not as jarring as running but a good excuse to push
the breathing, despite a little discomfort. Sneezing was hell though.

Colin

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 14:46:46 -0000, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:

>Sneezing was hell though.

I broke a handful of mine on a skiing holiday, and it was hell. I was able to ski slowly without too
much pain but the evenings in the chalet were hell. All those jokes!

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

> Vernon & I went out for a short cycle ride today. V wanted to see how his bruised ribs would hold
> up. I wanted to see if I could do better in the
lung
> stakes than yesterday :)
>
> Another glorious day weather wise. On our local route - part is used by
quite a
> few HGVs using a local rural industrial estate. Once again - mucho
courtesy by
> said HGV drivers - giving us room, hanging back when not safe to overtake
etc.,
> so many a wave of thanks were exchanged. This polite cyclist/driver thing
is
> remarkably pleasant :)

How was the 'nip in the air' and the 'tight chest' compared to yesterday? ;)

I find Band-Aids work really well ...

>How was the 'nip in the air' and the 'tight chest' compared to yesterday? ;)
>
>I find Band-Aids work really well ...

The nip in the air was a lot less nippy than yesterday :)

The chest was slightly less tight - I had to recover my lungs less often than yesterday :)

Still very tight when I got home though.

Cheers, helen s