Today's ride

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tim Hall, Feb 1, 2004.

  1. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    I'm not getting as much cycling these days as I'd like, and have to really make the time to get out.

    So this afternoon I managed to set off on my fixer, just as it was getting dark and the rain was
    starting. No plan in mind, just go out for an hour or so. The rain started coming down harder after
    the first few kilometres. It was then I realised I'd forgotten to put my neoprene overshoes on.
    Bum. Never mind, a slight tail wind made the riding easy. Zip up past Gatwick on the A23 and then
    peeled off onto some lanes. Raining even harder, bastard motorists who don't dip their lights, it
    _still_ felt good. Feet by now were absolutely soaking and my waterproof turned out not to be. By
    now I'm back in town and had a close call at a roundabout as a dozy motorist didn't see me. Then I
    go round a corner and something feels wrong - at first I thought the back end had stepped out so I
    carried on. Then I realised the front tyre was flat. Bum. Only 1k from home so I walked it rather
    than fix it.

    Back home, wet, happy.

    I like cycling.

    Tim

    Tags:

  2. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Tim Hall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm not getting as much cycling these days as I'd like, and have to really make the time to
    > get out.

    snip

    > Back home, wet, happy.
    >
    > I like cycling.

    Strange how sometimes a ride is fantastic when any sane person would consider you mad to be out.

    I love cycling in heavy rain -- don't know why but its always so relaxing!!

  3. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Strange how sometimes a ride is fantastic when any sane person would consider you mad to be out.
    >
    > I love cycling in heavy rain -- don't know why but its always so
    relaxing!!

    Ditto on the rain thing - just recently noticed that i actually prefer to ride in the rain.

    Weird I am!

  4. pineapple

    pineapple New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2003
    It's a fantastic feeling. Shame about all the gunk that gets in your bike though.

  5. "Lee" <g[email protected]om>

    > Ditto on the rain thing - just recently noticed that i actually prefer to ride in the rain.
    >
    > Weird I am!

    Well, you said it. I agree - you are ;-).

    Rich

  6. \ Dave

    \ Dave Guest

    "Lee" <[email protected]com>

    > "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    > >

    > > Strange how sometimes a ride is fantastic when any sane person would consider you mad to be out.
    > >
    > > I love cycling in heavy rain -- don't know why but its always so
    > relaxing!!

    > Ditto on the rain thing - just recently noticed that i actually prefer to ride in the rain.
    >
    > Weird I am!

    Wonder if it's got anything to do with all the negative ions released from running water that excite
    the cilia in your throat, clearing all the gunk out alowing more oxygen in ?.... (could be a load of
    old dogsdoos, memory ain't what it was when I originally heard that 'nearly-fact') Cheers, Dave.
    - don't mind the rain, it's just the metal corroding salt they put in it over the last couple
    of weeks!! -

  7. J-P.S

    J-P.S Guest

    On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 14:49:59 -0000, Lee wrote: ) Ditto on the rain thing - just recently noticed that
    i actually prefer to ) ride in the rain.

    Riding into work in the rain yesterday was absolutely bloody awful. After overtightening my cones a
    few weeks ago I was certain I must've scoured a new rim on my back wheel, and that was slowing me
    down as much as the rain. I was dreading the evening.

    Riding home in similar drizzle, however, was a pleasure. Either I was aided by having the wind
    behind me, or I was just so glad that the stressful day I'd predicted was finally over....

    J-P
    --
    Controversial gargling gonk millionaire Björk warns that a new ice age is far from inevitable in her
    latest video, Me So Pingu