Today's snow...

"Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Stuart wrote:
>
> > What amazed me with this pic is the detail, none of the ground detail
> > could be seen with the eye. for all you camera buffs this was taken
> > on an Ixus 400 with 15 sec shutter openings!

> If you think that's amazing, take a look at this one. This is a 4
> minute exposure at f4 at ISO 400. Taken at 6:28pm on Sunday, two and a
> quarter hours after sunset. This shot is lit purely by moonlight.
> http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/lyff/0412190088.jpg

tremendous! looks just like daylight, pity the stars are spoilt by the
exposure time but if you are going to use 4 minutes then I suppose they are
going to move by 1°

presumably the line at top left is a metrioite

also going on the movement of the stars am I rightin guessing the pic was
taken facing west? I can't work out why the stars appear to have moved more
and at a slightly differant angle on the left as opposed to the right, Lens
distortion?

Stuart wrote:

> tremendous! looks just like daylight, pity the stars are spoilt by the
> exposure time but if you are going to use 4 minutes then I suppose
> they are going to move by 1°

Indeed. Many would not use the word "spoilt" though, star trails are
often a desired photographic effect. They'd look far more impressive if
they were longer though. Perhaps 10-30 minutes would have been better
for such an effect.

> presumably the line at top left is a metrioite

I think it's more likely to be a satellite. May even have been a plane,
I saw quite a few of those going over, but they have red lights as well.

> also going on the movement of the stars am I rightin guessing the pic
> was taken facing west?

Northwest to be precise.

> I can't work out why the stars appear to have
> moved more and at a slightly differant angle on the left as opposed
> to the right, Lens distortion?

As I mentioned in the other thread (TR: Beacons Today, if you want to
see the other pics), all the stars rotate around the pole star. Stars
further from the pole rotate faster, just as the outside of a record
rotates faster than the inside. The pole star is outside the picture,
above the right hand corner and a bit to the right.

The lens is an extreme wide angle, but it's not lens distortion that has
caused the different star trail lengths. It does however make the
differences far more obvious since the field of view is so wide. With a
narrower lens most of the trails would be of a similar length and moving
in the same direction. Star trail photography is a fascinating subject
in it's own right. Apparently if you aim at the celestial equator it's
possible to have two different curvatures of star trails in the same
photograph.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:56:46 -0000, "Stuart" <[email protected]>
uttered:

>tremendous! looks just like daylight, pity the stars are spoilt by the
>exposure time but if you are going to use 4 minutes then I suppose they are
>going to move by 1°

Oh dear, first time I looked, I thought they were falling snow :)

--
Dewi,

(remove spin for email)

Stuart wrote:

> somewhere just west of Alness
>
> Clashnabuiac ????

No. Strathcarnage.
Well not really but that's a good name for a shinty team. I'm actually 4
miles east of Alness. Decent guess though.
--
Muzz
reply to uglyduck NOT spamfrog

"spamfrog" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Stuart wrote:
> >
> > somewhere just west of Alness
> >
> > Clashnabuiac ????

> No. Strathcarnage.
> Well not really but that's a good name for a shinty team. I'm actually 4
> miles east of Alness. Decent guess though.
> --
> Muzz
> reply to uglyduck NOT spamfrog

my OS map of |Wyvis cuts off well before your area so I had to rely on a
road map and OS's horrible get a map service, well its horrible on a 56k
connection and why such a tiny window!

With such a good view of a prominent Scottish Hill why don't you set up a
web cam? could be really useful for checking the weather out!

"Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Stuart wrote:
>
> > tremendous! looks just like daylight, pity the stars are spoilt by the
> > exposure time but if you are going to use 4 minutes then I suppose
> > they are going to move by 1°

> Indeed. Many would not use the word "spoilt" though, star trails are
> often a desired photographic effect. They'd look far more impressive if
> they were longer though. Perhaps 10-30 minutes would have been better
> for such an effect.

yes thirty minutes would give a trail long enough to be interesting, would
prefer them stationary though

> > presumably the line at top left is a metrioite

> I think it's more likely to be a satellite. May even have been a plane,
> I saw quite a few of those going over, but they have red lights as well.
>
> > also going on the movement of the stars am I rightin guessing the pic
> > was taken facing west?

> Northwest to be precise.
>
> > I can't work out why the stars appear to have
> > moved more and at a slightly differant angle on the left as opposed
> > to the right, Lens distortion?

> As I mentioned in the other thread (TR: Beacons Today, if you want to
> see the other pics), all the stars rotate around the pole star. Stars
> further from the pole rotate faster, just as the outside of a record
> rotates faster than the inside. The pole star is outside the picture,
> above the right hand corner and a bit to the right.

Yes of course, don't know what I was thinking of to make such a stupid
comment! maybe just a bit obsessed with the distortions that creep intp pano
stitching to see the obvious!

> The lens is an extreme wide angle, but it's not lens distortion that has
> caused the different star trail lengths. It does however make the
> differences far more obvious since the field of view is so wide. With a
> narrower lens most of the trails would be of a similar length and moving
> in the same direction. Star trail photography is a fascinating subject
> in it's own right. Apparently if you aim at the celestial equator it's
> possible to have two different curvatures of star trails in the same
> photograph.

yes no doubt they will go from curving up to being stright when over the
equator to curving downwards when on the other side!

> Paul
> --
> http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
>

>my OS map of |Wyvis cuts off well before your area so I had to rely on a
>road map and OS's horrible get a map service, well its horrible on a 56k
>connection and why such a tiny window!

O$ of course.. Mind getting any sort of look up 1:25000 mapping is
miraculous and I am more than grateful for it. (I will soon be
reunited with my Explorer collection, bigger flat, but since I stored
them, I found getamap very handy indeed. The gazeteer is Cr@p as well
as the window size, but it really is the trig enthusiast's best
friend.

>With such a good view of a prominent Scottish Hill why don't you set up a
>web cam? could be really useful for checking the weather out!

Go for it... Would be very handy...

Richard Webb

Stuart wrote:
> With such a good view of a prominent Scottish Hill why don't you set
> up a web cam? could be really useful for checking the weather out!

Mmm, I was thinking of just updating the picture when there has been a
change, howver a lot of snow has disappeared today but the hill is obscured
by cloud.
--

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:41:00 GMT, RJ Webb wrote:

>>my OS map of |Wyvis cuts off well before your area so I had to rely on a
>>road map and OS's horrible get a map service, well its horrible on a 56k
>>connection and why such a tiny window!

>O$ of course.. Mind getting any sort of look up 1:25000 mapping is
>miraculous and I am more than grateful for it. (I will soon be
>reunited with my Explorer collection, bigger flat, but since I stored
>them, I found getamap very handy indeed. The gazeteer is Cr@p as well
>as the window size, but it really is the trig enthusiast's best
>friend.

As for window size; well they don't want everybody nicking it
wholesale do they?

I find the gazeteer on streetmap much better, use the sites in tandem.
Get the GR off streetmap then look it up on O$.

I note that O$ haven't got the latest 1:50k on their site. They show
the M6Toll as under construction with magenta trunk roads, whereas the
1:50k on Multimap is the latest with green trunk roads and the M6Toll
in all its detail.

"spamfrog" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Stuart wrote:
> > With such a good view of a prominent Scottish Hill why don't you set
> > up a web cam? could be really useful for checking the weather out!

> Mmm, I was thinking of just updating the picture when there has been a
> change, howver a lot of snow has disappeared today but the hill is

obscured
> by cloud.
> --
> Muzz
> reply to uglyduck NOT spamfrog

Being obsesed with the hills I am also obsesed by the weather and do my own
forecasting, the webcams show me if I am getting it right or wrong. The
following are a list of very reliable cams that I refer to on a daily basis.
The met office do have their own webcams and the Loch Glascarnoch is not too
far from where you are, but like all the met office cams they are very
unreliable, often not working for weeks on end (have improved a lot
recently!)

http://freespace.virgin.net/kings.house/image.jpg
http://www.visit-fortwilliam.co.uk/webcam/cam1_bennevis_00001.jpg
http://webcam.smo.uhi.ac.uk/cgi-bin/jpg/image.cgi?resolution=704x576
http://www.kinloch.ukgateway.net/images/image.jpg
http://www.cairngormmountain.com/cams/image.jpg

My own forecasting is far more reliable than the likes of met check (who are
truly awful) however if you want an excellent service then try. Geoff monk
http://www.mwis.org.uk/scotland.php
his forecasting is outstanding, the best hill forecasting I have seen.

I hope the Scottish Exec provide him with proper funding!

Hope you provide a web cam, 1 pic per hour 365 days per year....

>I note that O$ haven't got the latest 1:50k on their site. They show
>the M6Toll as under construction with magenta trunk roads, whereas the
>1:50k on Multimap is the latest with green trunk roads and the M6Toll
>in all its detail.

Funny that.. Good to see multimap has now got updated 1:50k mapping,
Streetmap is getting quite old now...

Strange about getamap.. They had the antigoml shading up on the 1:25k
almost on the day they "opened" the moors...

The new M6 is on the 1:25 on getamap as well. Why did they not update
the 1:50k , I wonder? They also dont have the new A1 to Dunbar on
either, but its on the paper maps.

Richard Webb

Richard Webb

"RJ Webb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >my OS map of |Wyvis cuts off well before your area so I had to rely on a
> >road map and OS's horrible get a map service, well its horrible on a 56k
> >connection and why such a tiny window!

> O$ of course.. Mind getting any sort of look up 1:25000 mapping is
> miraculous and I am more than grateful for it.

Indeed, I also use "get a map" on a reg basis, I just think it could be a
whole lot better, the speed is very slow, I have heard it is even slow on
broadband, and the image size is styngy! As Phil Cook suggests it is a ££££
problem, they want to sell it back to us. A bit rich when we the tax payer
paid for it in the first place! Its like the weather forecast, we the tax
payer funded it, then we the hillgoers are expected to buy it back as a
premium service.

Stuart wrote:
> My own forecasting is far more reliable than the likes of met check
> (who are truly awful) however if you want an excellent service then
> try. Geoff monk http://www.mwis.org.uk/scotland.php
> his forecasting is outstanding, the best hill forecasting I have seen.
>
> I hope the Scottish Exec provide him with proper funding!
>
> Hope you provide a web cam, 1 pic per hour 365 days per year....

This one seems to have decent prediction power, I looked at it at 04:34 this
morning and it's picutre was taken at 05:11 !!
http://webcam.smo.uhi.ac.uk/cgi-bin/jpg/image.cgi?resolution=704x576
--
Muzz
reply to uglyduck NOT spamfrog

"spamfrog" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> Stuart wrote:
>> My own forecasting is far more reliable than the likes of met check
>> (who are truly awful) however if you want an excellent service then
>> try. Geoff monk http://www.mwis.org.uk/scotland.php
>> his forecasting is outstanding, the best hill forecasting I have seen.
>>
>> I hope the Scottish Exec provide him with proper funding!
>>
>> Hope you provide a web cam, 1 pic per hour 365 days per year....

> This one seems to have decent prediction power, I looked at it at 04:34
> this morning and it's picutre was taken at 05:11 !!

Summertime ?

> http://webcam.smo.uhi.ac.uk/cgi-bin/jpg/image.cgi?resolution=704x576

--
Theo
www.theosphotos.fotopic.net

In article <[email protected]>, Stuart <[email protected]>
writes

>"RJ Webb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>
>> >my OS map of |Wyvis cuts off well before your area so I had to rely on a
>> >road map and OS's horrible get a map service, well its horrible on a 56k
>> >connection and why such a tiny window!

>> O$ of course.. Mind getting any sort of look up 1:25000 mapping is
>> miraculous and I am more than grateful for it.

>Indeed, I also use "get a map" on a reg basis, I just think it could be a
>whole lot better, the speed is very slow, I have heard it is even slow on
>broadband, and the image size is styngy!

And reduced quality - even when you opt for the high-quality printable
version :-(

I just made another investment in Tracklogs 1:25k this week (three for
the price of two on web orders placed before end f business tomorrow)
which is so much easier to use :)

> As Phil Cook suggests it is a ££££
>problem, they want to sell it back to us. A bit rich when we the tax payer
>paid for it in the first place! Its like the weather forecast, we the tax
>payer funded it, then we the hillgoers are expected to buy it back as a
>premium service.

Which does make it cheaper for the other tax payers who do not make use
of the service(s)...

--

Dominic Sexton
http://www.dscs.demon.co.uk/