toe nails for runners

octogenarian

Guest
Is there any reason we should not remove all the toe nails? In my case,
any imperfection in the socks cause black nails, sometimes just the
ones of big or one or more of the others.

Of course, less than 10K runs are fine but I do want to go further at
times. Does adding cotton balls around the blackened nails help while
the new ones grow beneath them?

On 14 Jan 2006 08:57:44 -0800, "octogenarian" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Is there any reason we should not remove all the toe nails? In my case,
>any imperfection in the socks cause black nails, sometimes just the
>ones of big or one or more of the others.

Look stupidass, socks do not cause black nail, shoes that are too
small DO! Your feet swell at least a full size after a certain
distance.

>Of course, less than 10K runs are fine but I do want to go further at
>times. Does adding cotton balls around the blackened nails help while
>the new ones grow beneath them?

No, but adding the right size shoes will solve the problem.

Son, I have been running for years. Same brand of shoes with lots of
wiggle room and same brand of socks which I throw away about two weeks
use. Last 7 days, I ran about 70Km. Occasionally I have black nails.

You never have black nails running 2 marathons in a week?

On 14 Jan 2006 09:19:06 -0800, "octogenarian" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Son, I have been running for years. Same brand of shoes with lots of
>wiggle room and same brand of socks which I throw away about two weeks
>use. Last 7 days, I ran about 70Km. Occasionally I have black nails.
>
>You never have black nails running 2 marathons in a week?

No. Because you run a lot doesn't mean you know WTF you are doing,
because obviously you don't. Once more slowly, try to let it sink in:
get the right size shoes!

Son, how many Km do you fast walk a day on the average? About 0.001Km
between the can and the fridge? LOL!

On 14 Jan 2006 09:31:12 -0800, "octogenarian" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Son, how many Km do you fast walk a day on the average? About 0.001Km
>between the can and the fridge? LOL!

9 miles a day, for 20plus years WO injury, boy.

The cost to remove 10 toe nails would be one reason...

As our vestigial claws, you may have noticed they're not that useful
for climbing trees. So, there's little functional reason to keep them.
In terms of protection, the nail bed will toughen up and not remain
sensitive.

I had a big toenail permanently removed and I would warn you that it
takes a long time for the nail bed to properly heal--at least six
weeks. If you aren't up to following a careful daily regimen during
this time, there is a real risk of infection. It cost me circa $200
for one nail but I think it's worth considering when a nail causes
problems and will not grow back properly.

Man, did your insurance cover at least 50%?

I think I shall stick with trimming my toe nails to the meat at least
once a week, make sure my socks are not pulled to tight especially
during humid days, avoid running down the half-dome trail or the Great
Wall of China.

Son, good for you. But just you wait. Tell me no injury when you are
60. BTW, one of my running bud said:

I use my toes to tell the seasons. If my first two toes are black then
it is running season. If my little toe is black it is cross country
skiing season. If I don't have any black toes then I'm 10 pounds over
weight. It is easy to run with several black toes than with 10 extra
pounds.

[email protected] wrote:

> Is there any reason we should not remove all the toe nails?

Your career as a foot model will soon be over. Other than that, probably
not much use for toenails. I'd check with a podiatrist to see if it is
worth the cost and effort.

> In my case, any imperfection in the socks cause black nails, sometimes
> just the ones of big or one or more of the others.

Some runners are prone to black toenails. I assume you have already tried
wearing running shoes with a generous amount of room in the toe box. My 2nd
toe used to always turn black and fall off until I went up a half size. Now
I never have this problem, even on 20+ mile runs.

> Of course, less than 10K runs are fine but I do want to go further at
> times. Does adding cotton balls around the blackened nails help while
> the new ones grow beneath them?

If there is no pain from the black toenail, you probably don't need to do
anything. Just let it fall off and the new one will start to grow in

--
Phil M.

I usually leave the black nails fall off. But it takes about 3 to 4
months for the big toe nails to fall off entirely and appear
presentable in birkenstocks without socks.

On 14 Jan 2006 12:39:52 -0800, "octogenarian" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Son, good for you. But just you wait. Tell me no injury when you are
>60. BTW, one of my running bud said:
>
>I use my toes to tell the seasons. If my first two toes are black then
>it is running season. If my little toe is black it is cross country
>skiing season. If I don't have any black toes then I'm 10 pounds over
>weight. It is easy to run with several black toes than with 10 extra
>pounds.

You AND your friends are idiots. I've NEVER had black toenails.
Idiots, get a clue.

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 21:11:41 GMT, "Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote:

>Some runners are prone to black toenails. I assume you have already tried
>wearing running shoes with a generous amount of room in the toe box. My 2nd
>toe used to always turn black and fall off until I went up a half size. Now
>I never have this problem, even on 20+ mile runs.

I tried to tell the idiot that, but apparently he needs to hear it
from someone else too.

Son, I don't want to wear a pair of shoes that is 2 sizes too large!
Heck, with your logic, I should just wear teh same size of NB as big
goot Shaq.

This threat has been fun. At least someone answered my original
question: toe nails are useless but a hinderance for runners.

Shalom!

BYW. I live near San Francisco and ran 7 miles this morning in
intermittent rain. It was great other than the added weight with a
soaking wet sweater, shorts, socks and shoes.

On 14 Jan 2006 18:17:31 -0800, "octogenarian" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Son, I don't want to wear a pair of shoes that is 2 sizes too large!
>Heck, with your logic, I should just wear teh same size of NB as big
>goot Shaq.

Boy,
Then you will forever suffer from "****er toe".

>This threat has been fun. At least someone answered my original
>question: toe nails are useless but a hinderance for runners.
>
>Shalom!
>
>BYW. I live near San Francisco and ran 7 miles this morning in
>intermittent rain. It was great other than the added weight with a
>soaking wet sweater, shorts, socks and shoes.

You live in "queer town"? No wonder you are so F'ed up.

Son, I know you are ****** that Brokeback Mountain is not showing in
your hick town. But give it another 9 months, you'll be able to get the
DVD from amazon. Yes indeed, you boys from Wyoming are pretty.

On 14 Jan 2006 19:57:13 -0800, "octogenarian" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Son, I know you are ****** that Brokeback Mountain is not showing in
>your hick town.

No, but "Bareback Mounters" is showing down at the "Boy Town" *** gay
theatres. Same?

>But give it another 9 months,

Nine whole months? Gee, me and sis will have another baby by then,
afterall, she is 9YO, and in her prime.

>you'll be able to get the
>DVD from amazon.

You mean I gotta go to the Congo to see it? No thanks old guy.

>Yes indeed, you boys from Wyoming are pretty.

My mom/aunt says so.

A Denver newspaper wrote an article about a Leadville 100 guy
who did such.
Looks a little wierd should he walk around in public in bare feet
(which is common in COlorado in the summer).