Toeing in

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Vp, Jun 15, 2003.

  1. Vp

    Vp Guest

    Hey there.

    Toeing in is confusing. Pads should touch at the front and not at the back? The diagram half way
    down is confusing:

    http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_cant.shtml

    Can someone lead me to some clarity?

    Cheers

  2. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > Toeing in is confusing. Pads should touch at the front and not at the
    back?
    > The diagram half way down is confusing:
    >
    > http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_cant.shtml

    If you have problems with brake squeal, then it can help to use toe-in. All this means is that the
    front of the pad hits the rim before the rear of the pad. The method I use is to put a business card
    between the rear half of the pad and the rim when adjusting the pad alignment. The pictures here
    show a small elastic on the rear part of the pad serving the same function.

    -John Morgan

  3. Vp

    Vp Guest

    John Morgan,

    > If you have problems with brake squeal, then it can help to use toe-in. All this means is that the
    > front of the pad hits the rim before the rear of the pad. The method I use is to put a business
    > card between the rear half of the pad and the rim when adjusting the pad alignment. The pictures
    > here show a small elastic on the rear part of the pad serving the same function.

    Ok I didn't know how much to toe it in. I'm having front brake problems and I have to take the wheel
    out to modify it. It's a real pain and haven't been able to get it to work. A business card is all
    it needs? Cool.

    Thanks.

  4. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    VP wrote:
    > Hey there.
    >
    > Toeing in is confusing.

    It's not really...

    Pads should touch at the front and not at the back?
    > The diagram half way down is confusing:
    >
    > http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_cant.shtml
    >
    > Can someone lead me to some clarity?

    I can't see how that diagram is confusing, but anyway. The front section of the pads should hit
    first. That is, when you look at the bike side on, it should be the sections of the pad that are
    nearest to the front of the bike that touch first.

  5. bomba says:

    >That is, when you look at the bike side on, it should be the sections of the pad that are nearest
    >to the front of the bike that touch first.

    Or to put it another way, the pads should be toed out with respect to rotation ;-)

    Steve

  6. Cameron

    Cameron Guest

    > bomba says:
    >
    > >That is, when you look at the bike side on, it should be the sections of the pad that are nearest
    > >to the front of the bike that touch first.
    >
    > Or to put it another way, the pads should be toed out with respect to rotation ;-)

    Ya'll just gotta complicate things.

    Stand up, look down at yer fate, an' point yer toes in. Assuming you can see yer feet.
    :p

    Or get a bike with disc brakes.

  7. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "VP" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB138E67.42122%[email protected]...
    > bomba,
    >
    > > I can't see how that diagram is confusing, but anyway. The front section of the pads should hit
    > > first. That is, when you look at the bike side on, it should be the sections of the pad that are
    > > nearest to the front of the bike that touch first.
    >
    > Ok thought so. That diagram has it backwards, if that arrow has wheel rotation.

    No, actually, it doesn't. While the bottom of the wheel goes towards you (like the road does), the
    top goes away.

    Jon Bond

  8. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    VP wrote:

    >>I can't see how that diagram is confusing, but anyway. The front section of the pads should hit
    >>first. That is, when you look at the bike side on, it should be the sections of the pad that are
    >>nearest to the front of the bike that touch first.
    >

    > Ok thought so. That diagram has it backwards, if that arrow has wheel rotation.

    Um, no. Provided you're looking down on the wheel with the bike upright, then the diagram's correct.

  9. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Jon Bond <[email protected]> spoke thusly...

    > "VP" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB138E67.42122%[email protected]...
    > > bomba,
    > >
    > > > I can't see how that diagram is confusing, but anyway. The front section of the pads should
    > > > hit first. That is, when you look at the bike side on, it should be the sections of the pad
    > > > that are nearest to the front of the bike that touch first.
    > >
    > > Ok thought so. That diagram has it backwards, if that arrow has wheel rotation.
    > >

    > No, actually, it doesn't. While the bottom of the wheel goes towards you (like the road does), the
    > top goes away.
    >
    > Jon Bond

    Ahh, but the back is just the opposite. ;-)
    --
    ~Travis

    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

  10. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 02:01:56 -0400, VP <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hey there.
    >
    >Toeing in is confusing. Pads should touch at the front and not at the back? The diagram half way
    >down is confusing:
    >
    >http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_cant.shtml
    >
    >Can someone lead me to some clarity?

    Diagram looks fine to me. If you want clarity stop smokin' crack.

    :-]

  11. Vp

    Vp Guest

    Jon Bond,

    >> Ok thought so. That diagram has it backwards, if that arrow has wheel rotation.
    >>

    > No, actually, it doesn't. While the bottom of the wheel goes towards you (like the road does), the
    > top goes away.

    If I'm riding backwards. Haven't done that since...the incident.

  12. Vp

    Vp Guest

    Bill Wheeler,

    > Diagram looks fine to me. If you want clarity stop smokin' crack.

    human beings, for Crissakes?

    Then you go on to say...

    > Peace, Bill

    You're telling ME about clarity? Yer an idiot.

    Secondly, I am looking at the diagram right now. Mid way down this page:

    <http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_cant.shtml>

    Pad Toeing...'So the front edge strikes first'...is the 'front edge' the front of the bike, or the
    front of the pad? Since I'm asking about pads, I was thinking about the pad, not the bike. I will
    modify accordingly.

    And in the meantime, lighten up. If you want to do mountainbiking a favour, stop pissing people off
    in the newsgroups.

  13. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "VP" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB13F0D6.4226C%[email protected]...
    > Jon Bond,
    >
    > >> Ok thought so. That diagram has it backwards, if that arrow has wheel rotation.
    > >>

    > > No, actually, it doesn't. While the bottom of the wheel goes towards
    you
    > > (like the road does), the top goes away.
    >
    > If I'm riding backwards. Haven't done that since...the incident.

    Ah, ok. Didn't know you were riding a fixie with rudder steering ;)

    Jon Bond

  14. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    VP wrote:

    >>Diagram looks fine to me. If you want clarity stop smokin' crack.
    >

    > human beings, for Crissakes?

    That would go against our better nature :)

    > You're telling ME about clarity? Yer an idiot.

    Well, in all fairness, nobody else has a problem with this concept and it has been explained to you
    several times.

    > Secondly, I am looking at the diagram right now. Mid way down this page:
    >
    > <http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_cant.shtml>
    >
    > Pad Toeing...'So the front edge strikes first'...is the 'front edge' the front of the bike, or the
    > front of the pad?

    Erm, both. The front of the pad is at the front of the bike.

    > And in the meantime, lighten up. If you want to do mountainbiking a favour, stop pissing people
    > off in the newsgroups.

    You appear to be the only one getting pissed off, perhaps it's you that needs to lighten up. FWIW,
    try and take most of this stuff as a joke -
    a.m-b isn't the worst group, but like a lot of Usenet, you'll need a thick skin and a laid back
    attitude to prevent ulcers and high blood pressure.

    --
    b.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm

    c.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

  15. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  16. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 22:15:34 -0400, VP <[email protected]> wrote:

    [snip rant]

    >And in the meantime, lighten up. If you want to do mountainbiking a favour, stop pissing people off
    >in the newsgroups.

    chill grasshopper, chill...

    :-]

  17. Vp

    Vp Guest

    Stephen Baker,

    > It's not like we sent you this ink when you didn't want to google something, after all...

    I don't mind googling anything. But why do that when we're on topic? If you want an answer, go
    searching for it.

  18. Vp

    Vp Guest

  19. Vp

    Vp Guest

    bomba,

    > Well, in all fairness, nobody else has a problem with this concept and it has been explained to
    > you several times.

    If nobody has issues with it, why is it in your FAQ? You honestly think some of the comments in here
    are not out of the ordinary? What benefit are those comments to mountain biking as a whole? If
    people come in here, don't you think a welcome attitude would do everybody some good?

    > You appear to be the only one getting pissed off, perhaps it's you that needs to lighten up. FWIW,
    > try and take most of this stuff as a joke -
    > a.m-b isn't the worst group, but like a lot of Usenet, you'll need a thick skin and a laid back
    > attitude to prevent ulcers and high blood pressure.

    Um, I'm getting pissed off because others telling me to F-Off? OK then, I guess it's fair game in
    here. I can play that too, but I gave up high school years ago. As for newgroups, I've been at it
    for over a decade and it's junk like some of the postings in here that makes it such a bizarre place
    to go. You wonder why people are alienated.

  20. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    VP wrote:

    >>Well, in all fairness, nobody else has a problem with this concept and it has been explained to
    >>you several times.
    >

    > If nobody has issues with it, why is it in your FAQ?

    The FAQ tells you how to stop brake pads squealing. Repeated pointing out of which part is the front
    of the brake and the direction of rotation of a bicycle wheel is not.

    > You honestly think some of the comments in here are not out of the ordinary?

    Nope. You got almost entirely positive and helpful comments with the exception of a couple that were
    made with tongue in cheek.

    > What benefit are those comments to mountain biking as a whole?

    We're not here as some sort of advocacy group. Having said that, if you hang around long enough,
    you'll discover that most are involved in trail advocacy, and doing various things that benefit the
    sport. Just don't mistake those as the aims of the group.

    > If people come in here, don't you think a welcome attitude would do everybody some good?

    I think you were welcomed with a nice attitude. The problem came when you started throwing your toys
    - standing there and shouting till you're blue in the face for everyone to change isn't going to
    make a difference.

    >>You appear to be the only one getting pissed off, perhaps it's you that needs to lighten up. FWIW,
    >>try and take most of this stuff as a joke -
    >>a.m-b isn't the worst group, but like a lot of Usenet, you'll need a thick skin and a laid back
    >> attitude to prevent ulcers and high blood pressure.
    >

    > Um, I'm getting pissed off because others telling me to F-Off?

    if you don't like the way the group is. Have you read that beta FAQ yet? It might help explain some
    stuff, including Shaun's post.

    OK then, I
    > guess it's fair game in here. I can play that too, but I gave up high school years ago.

    So did everyone here. The average age of the group would be somewhere around 30+ at a guess.

    > As for newgroups, I've been at it for over a decade and it's junk like some of the postings in
    > here that makes it such a bizarre place to go. You wonder why people are alienated.

    It's a bizarre place for sure. Alt.m-b's not an unfriendly place, but one of the things that tends
    not to go down well is a new contributor telling everyone that the group should be run the way he /
    she wants it. That's a fast way to being alienated...