Token BB vs FSA MegaExo

On Aug 23, 7:14 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 22, 10:55 am, [email protected] wrote:

> > > Their products are flashy but not durable, at least based my
> > > experience with a broken wheel, BB and crank (and the experience of
> > > others on this NG). So, it sounds like you do not want ISIS but
> > > rather want Octalink -- which is a slightly more durable version of
> > > the oversized spline drive system. You can get any old Octalink v1 BB
> > > you like, but again, I would not waste my time with Ti due to the
> > > expense -- unless you find a BB with replaceable bearings. It's the
> > > bearings that fail because they are too small. I think RaceFace makes
> > > model with replaceable bearings, but I am not sure. -- Jay Beattie..- Hide quoted text -

> > I got this from FSA's website.

> > ISIS-Drive vs. Octalink

> > ISIS-Drive BB's with 22mm diameter axles have superior strength and
> > stiffness compared to Octalink BB's (also 22mm axles), which in turn
> > were already an improvement over square-taper BB axles (17mm diameter
> > axles).

> What poppycock. This implies that square taper was somehow weak and
> flexy..both of which is not true. Larger spindle outside diameter is
> only larger, not better. Both resulted in small bearings, that
> resulted is toasted BBs..enter the outboard bearing crank..a 'fix' for
> ISIS and Octalink..NOT square taper. Octalink was meant to be market-
> ed against square taper,

IMO, Octalink is a classic example of Shimano marketing in action:
they have a huge percentage of the OEM crank market; by introducing a
proprietary BB standard, they ensure themselves of a nice of chunk of
additional business as the Octalink BBs are routinely replaced.

On Aug 23, 5:18 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 22, 10:11 am, [email protected] wrote:
>

> > On Aug 22, 11:45 am, Jay Beattie <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Does not compute. You either need ISIS or you need external bearings
> > > for a two-piece crank. What kind of crank do you have? If you are
> > > buying a crank and BB, go with two-piece and avoid ISIS/Octalink.
> > > Avoid FSA. If you are stuck with ISIS, buy a durable and less
> > > expensive non-Ti BB because you will have to buy a lot of them and you
> > > shouldn't waste Ti. -- Jay Beattie.- Hide quoted text -

> > Let me clarify what I want exactly :

> > Ceramic BB (ISIS) + a lightweight ISIS Crankset

> > What I have now is an old shimano 9 speed dura ace (i bought it second
> > hand) with octalink.

> > I wanted to know the best product combo to go for, and cheapest
> > option. I want to stay away from FSA but I'm not really sure why, and
> > why other folks don't like them either. Any particular reason?
> > Stronglight has a good reputation and that token BB looks sweeeet! The
> > cassette also has CT2 ceramic teflon coating which must be cool to run
> > with a titanium chain to minimize chainring wear. I'm not sure though.

> > FSA on the other hand is popular in the pro peleton

> PelOton...and with a van full of spares and a legion of
> mechanics..they 'can' be popular. They are acquired by team
> management, the rider rides what he is given. As long as it doesn't
> strand him and is light, he's OK with it.
>
> .. Give me a few

Get a Verizon cellular plan, and then you can get all those guys who
will be following you around to drive a support van. The guy with the
Buddy Holly glasses can be your wheel change guy. -- Jay Beattie.