Tom Austin

Tom Crispin

Guest
Tom Austin is the son of a friend who is a cycling instructor
colleague of mine; I spent three days working with Anthony Austin the
week before last. My thoughts are with him as he flies to Bolivia to
collect his son's body.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7366377.stm

"Tom Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tom Austin is the son of a friend who is a cycling instructor
> colleague of mine; I spent three days working with Anthony Austin the
> week before last. My thoughts are with him as he flies to Bolivia to
> collect his son's body.
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7366377.stm

My condolences to the family.

"According to local reports, the Toyota Land Cruiser came off the road and
rolled 300ft down a rocky embankment, killing eight people and injuring
five."

I suppose the eight and five include Tom and his two companions, but unless
the Land Cruiser hit other by-standers it must have been overloaded.

David Lloyd

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 09:21:37 +0100, "David Lloyd"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Tom Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Tom Austin is the son of a friend who is a cycling instructor
>> colleague of mine; I spent three days working with Anthony Austin the
>> week before last. My thoughts are with him as he flies to Bolivia to
>> collect his son's body.
>>
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7366377.stm

>My condolences to the family.
>
>"According to local reports, the Toyota Land Cruiser came off the road and
>rolled 300ft down a rocky embankment, killing eight people and injuring
>five."
>
>I suppose the eight and five include Tom and his two companions, but unless
>the Land Cruiser hit other by-standers it must have been overloaded.

The Land Cruiser contained 13 and a suffered a tyre blow out. The
dead included a mother and 6 day old baby.

In a typical display of victim blaming, Lt. Col. Agusto Angulo, head
of the La Paz transit police accident division suggested that the
cyclists were racing and in vehicle lane of the road.

Tom Crispin wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 09:21:37 +0100, "David Lloyd"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "Tom Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Tom Austin is the son of a friend who is a cycling instructor
>>> colleague of mine; I spent three days working with Anthony Austin the
>>> week before last. My thoughts are with him as he flies to Bolivia to
>>> collect his son's body.
>>>
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7366377.stm

>> My condolences to the family.
>>
>> "According to local reports, the Toyota Land Cruiser came off the road and
>> rolled 300ft down a rocky embankment, killing eight people and injuring
>> five."
>>
>> I suppose the eight and five include Tom and his two companions, but unless
>> the Land Cruiser hit other by-standers it must have been overloaded.

> The Land Cruiser contained 13 and a suffered a tyre blow out. The
> dead included a mother and 6 day old baby.
>
> In a typical display of victim blaming, Lt. Col. Agusto Angulo, head
> of the La Paz transit police accident division suggested that the
> cyclists were racing and in vehicle lane of the road.

It hardly looks like it has lanes at all.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yungas_Road
http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2006/11/most-dangerous-roads-in-world.html

On 27 Apr, 10:37, TheMgt <[email protected]> wrote:
> Tom Crispin wrote:
> > On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 09:21:37 +0100, "David Lloyd"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> "Tom Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >>news:[email protected]...

> >> My condolences to the family.

> >> "According to local reports, the Toyota Land Cruiser came off the road and
> >> rolled 300ft down a rocky embankment, killing eight people and injuring
> >> five."

> >> I suppose the eight and five include Tom and his two companions, but unless
> >> the Land Cruiser hit other by-standers it must have been overloaded.

> > The Land Cruiser contained 13 and a suffered a tyre blow out.  The
> > dead included a mother and 6 day old baby.

> > In a typical display of victim blaming, Lt. Col. Agusto Angulo, head
> > of the La Paz transit police accident division suggested that the
> > cyclists were racing and in vehicle lane of the road.

> It hardly looks like it has lanes at all.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yungas...om/2006/11/most-dangerous-roads-in-world....- Hide quoted text -

Interesting. A 64km road down a mountain in a third world country.
Popular with cyclists, but 13 have been killed. It sounds like the
Isle of Man - dangerous but a tremendous buzz to ride on. If you want
the thrills, then you take the risk. No risk-no thrill. When you're
young you take the risk and get the thrill because you think you're
going to live forever. Tragically its your parents who have to live
with the consequences.

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 09:37:10 GMT, TheMgt <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Tom Crispin wrote:
>> On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 09:21:37 +0100, "David Lloyd"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> "Tom Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> My condolences to the family.
>>>
>>> "According to local reports, the Toyota Land Cruiser came off the road and
>>> rolled 300ft down a rocky embankment, killing eight people and injuring
>>> five."
>>>
>>> I suppose the eight and five include Tom and his two companions, but unless
>>> the Land Cruiser hit other by-standers it must have been overloaded.

>> The Land Cruiser contained 13 and a suffered a tyre blow out. The
>> dead included a mother and 6 day old baby.
>>
>> In a typical display of victim blaming, Lt. Col. Agusto Angulo, head
>> of the La Paz transit police accident division suggested that the
>> cyclists were racing and in vehicle lane of the road.

>It hardly looks like it has lanes at all.
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yungas_Road
>http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2006/11/most-dangerous-roads-in-world.html

A new paved road opened last year, in some places next to the original
road. I expect that the overloaded car was on the paved road and the
cyclists on the original road.

Quote from the Wikipedia site you mention above.

"At the end of 2006, after 20 years of construction, a new road (a
by-pass) from La Paz to Coroico was opened to public. This new route
features modern construction (bridges, drainage, etc.), multiple
lanes, pavement, guardrails and many other elements that make it
considerably safer than the original route. As a result, the original
North Yungas Road is currently much less used by traffic, although an
increasing number of adventure travelers bike it for the thrills."

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 09:59:45 +0100, Tom Crispin
<[email protected]> said in
<[email protected]>:

>In a typical display of victim blaming, Lt. Col. Agusto Angulo, head
>of the La Paz transit police accident division suggested that the
>cyclists were racing and in vehicle lane of the road.

Yes, because racing on the road with bikes is illegal and bikes
aren't vehicles, right?

Oh, wait...

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 09:59:45 +0100, Tom Crispin
> <[email protected]> said in
> <[email protected]>:
>
>> In a typical display of victim blaming, Lt. Col. Agusto Angulo, head
>> of the La Paz transit police accident division suggested that the
>> cyclists were racing and in vehicle lane of the road.

> Yes, because racing on the road with bikes is illegal and bikes
> aren't vehicles, right?
>
> Oh, wait...
>
> Guy

I think this article (http://www.gravitybolivia.com/view?page=27) may
give you an idea of the circumstances.

Tom Crispin wrote:

> A new paved road opened last year, in some places next to the original
> road.

Yes, but you don't go there to ride down the new road, you go to ride
the road in the scary pictures.

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 15:57:58 GMT, TheMgt <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Tom Crispin wrote:
>
>> A new paved road opened last year, in some places next to the original
>> road.

>Yes, but you don't go there to ride down the new road, you go to ride
>the road in the scary pictures.

Yes, it's an adrenaline ride. But it is not that which killed Tom. A
heavily laden Land Cruiser left the paved road, after suffering a blow
out, and killed him.