Tom Boonen For the TdF White Jersey

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by gntlmn, Apr 16, 2005.

1. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

Belgian Tom Boonen, 24, is having a great season this year. He won stages in Paris-Nice, then won Harelbeke E3 Grand Prix outright, won the Tour of Flanders, and won Paris-Roubaix. He placed 4th in the Scheldeprijs (Grote Prijs Vlaanderen). The race was won by the winner of a 2 man successful breakaway. Tom Boonen was outsprinted as the peloton made its way to the finish line. He's skipping the Amstel Gold in preparation for the TdF.

Who thinks he'll win the white jersey for the TdF this year?

Tags:

2. Dead Star

Dead Star New Member

I certainly think he'll be one of the contenders, but no way is he a runaway favourite or anything similar. McEwen, Hushovd, O' Grady and co will all be on form and all have an equally good chance to win it. It all depends so much on what happens on the day as well, with sprinters sometimes getting in a good position or losing out by getting blocked etc.

3. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

Sorry. Am I making mistakes or what? I meant White Jersey. McEwen is too old for the white jersey (young rider), but the way I posed the question, I'd put him right in the running for the green jersey at the TdF.

Ok, I can't change the heading. The question remains: Is a Tom Boonen a shoe-in for the young rider's jersey--the white jersey?

4. Virenque

Virenque New Member

Without Petacchi, it will be more interesting..

5. Dead Star

Dead Star New Member

I read somewhere that Credit Agricole are dropping their dual-captain role for the tour and focusing entirely on stage wins. This basically means they'll be sending a train to help Hushovd. With the absence of Petacchi, I can see that this could be very promising for him. A train of Bodrogi, Wiggins, Hunt, Kirsipuu, Lequatre could work very well.

6. Jesus Malone

Jesus Malone New Member

I can say, without a doubt, that Boonen will not get the white jersey. Maybe he will lead it for a few days at the start of the tour, but once the roads start going up....the white jersey is going to come off Boonen (if he has it).

If Cunego is in the race, he may win the white jersey....and be on the podium at the finish. Thats if he isnt fried from the Giro (likely).

Names to watch for the white jersey:

-Luis Leon Sanchez Gil (Liberty Seguros)
    -Alejandro Valverde
    -Yaroslav Popovych
    -Thomas Dekker
    -and quite a few more......

7. ed073

ed073 New Member

Agree 100%. all of these names will finish higher on GC than big Tom.

8. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

No one mentions the 2004 winner, Vladimir Karpets. He was 100th in the 2003 Tour and 13th in the 2004 Tour. He's the one who had the white jersey in the end. He was born September 20, 1980. He'll still be 24 when the Tour ends in 2005.

The one who most people remember as the leading young rider, the Frenchman Thomas Voeckler, held the yellow jersey from stage 5 to stage 14. But he lost the white jersey on July 24 during the ITT to Vladimir Karpets who finished about 6 minutes ahead of Voeckler in the GC in Paris. It seems that Voeckler scored the most publicity of the two. Voeckler was 25 last year. He'll be 26 when the Tour starts this year. He's too old now to be contending for the white jersey. He was 119th in the 2003 Tour and 18th in the 2004 Tour.

Cunego is a hot name now. I see a lot written about him and Basso going head to head for the Giro this year. It's hard to say how well he'll do in the Tour after that. Here's a photo of him. He looks like a champion to me. He kind of reminds me of a young Greg Lemond. http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos.php?id=photos/2005/features/giro2005/35

9. musette

musette New Member

Boonen can't win the white jersey, and he will fail in getting the green jersey he has indicated is his target. He may or may not get 2 stage wins, his achievement last year, or more, esp. if Ale-Jet adheres to his indication he will not race the Tour. But that will be FLAT stages.

I think Boonen's chances of winning the white jersey are worse than his chances of winning the green jersey, with the latter being at least conceivable (although not likely).

Boonen's chances of winning white jersey are also made worse by VALVERDE and CUNEGO (the former, probably 25 this year?; the latter definitely 25 or under) also doing the Tour. These cyclists can climb. Boonen can't, in the sense of the TdF climbing. Therefore, one of Valverde or Cunego (more likely Valverde, in my mind) could be in white jersey in Paris.

10. Dead Star

Dead Star New Member

don't forget "curtains for Karpets" too

11. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

What? Is there something wrong with him now? I can't seem to find any write-ups on him since last TdF, 2004. I see him on the roster still though for the same team as last year: Illes Baleares-Banesto.

http://www.cyclingfx.nl/Renners_fotos/Vladimir Karpets.htm

12. Dead Star

Dead Star New Member

he's still around, just being very quiet, which is pretty much like last year when he sneaked into the white jersey without making too much of a fuss.

13. ed073

ed073 New Member

Karpets rode out here as a very young bloke on the national team (sponsored by Itera, I think). Very impressive on the tough climb of Mt Wellington just out of Hobart.

Showed all the signs of a future star.

14. Dead Star

Dead Star New Member

yeah, he seems to be a bit of an Indurain. weighing about 80kg, good time-trialist and he's able to survive in the mountains.

15. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

That's what I'm thinking too. I don't know if one of his cosponsors is the same company that sponsored Indurain, but the parallels seem to be there. He doesn't seem to care much for the limelight, like Indurain. He's also a little bit taller even than Indurain and a good time trialist. I wonder if he is quietly making serious progress for this year's TdF. Cunego is the big name; Karpets is in the shadows.

16. Dead Star

Dead Star New Member

illes balears were formerly Banesto, so they might indeed be grooming another Indurain. who knows, this could be the next guy to dominate the tour like big mig and Armstrong both did.

17. ed073

ed073 New Member

What about Valverde as the next Indurain?

18. Dead Star

Dead Star New Member

Valverde reminds me of a young Jan Ullrich. Able to climb and sprint on the flat equally as well. It'll be interesting to see how Illes will organise their TDF team..

19. Virenque

Virenque New Member

I think Mancebo will be the leader and it can happen the same as with Simoni - Cunego on Giro.

20. oely

oely New Member

He wont win the White jersey, he wont get even close to it by the end of the race. He will be a massive danger for the Green though. Him, McEwen (if he gets healthy) and Hushovd will be the danger guys. Hondo too had he been still racing. Assuming all are fit and on form id back Mcewen to do it again. He seems to stay stronger than other sprinters after the mountains. The Zabel, Davis, O┬┤Grady like sprinters will be "up there" but thats all. Im not convinced of Freire getting that close to it too. It would take some bad luck for some other sprinters for guys like them to win the green.

For the White jersey id back Cunego or Valverde i guess. I cant think of other young riders at the moment. Im not sure Thomas Dekker is doing the tour this year but even if he was, he wont be consistantly climbing with Cunego and co. Personally i dunno if i would have him in there at all. He is still very young and does not need to be burnt out and blown away in his first season of top level racing.