Tom Danielson Tests Positive For Testosterone

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by steve, Aug 3, 2015.

1. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Tom Danielson (Cannondale Garmin) has returned a positive test for synthetic testosterone. The test was taken on July 9, he quickly took to twitter once he was notified of the positive test;

[​IMG] tomd.jpg

It's an interesting mistake to make in considering drug companies appear to be working with organisations like WADA. It's also a good time to reflect on the fact this sport is far from clean.

This is the second time Tom Danielson has been found to have used doping products. On October 10, 2012, the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) announced that Danielson would be suspended for six months after admitting to doping during his time with Discovery Channel.

It will most likely be the end of his career.

Attached Files:

Tags:

2. b3rniemac

b3rniemac New Member

I'm really not surprised, if the rumours about Tommy are to be believed he openly doped, without shame, in his time before Slipstream. What's worrying here is that Slipstream are billed as a "fully-clean" pro team, and they run their own internal anti-doping tests. Surely then, they would have caught this before USADA? If not, it doesn't fill me with much faith that the other riders in the team (and in other teams with less strict anti-doping controls) aren't doing exactly the same thing.

steve likes this.
  3. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSports New Member

This sucks for him. I get that he was doping and everything, but his whole career might be shot down just because of this incident. He was fun to watch ride, too.

4. b3rniemac

b3rniemac New Member

Sucks for him indeed, but if your career was on the line if you doped, would you really take the chance? I should maybe reserve judgement until the B Sample is analysed, but it's hard to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Fool me once etc etc.

5. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Exactly, if it comes back positive he must surely get a 4 year ban.

gplama likes this.
  6. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

He is entitled to due process.

If the B sample confirms his doping, then given his history, the sport need to take a very tough sanction against him.

7. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

This would be his second offense (admitting to blood doping on US Postal was the first.)

If he doesn't get a lifetime ban and the UCI doesn't appeal then Mr short of beard Santa Claus that took over and promised reform really is a limp dick.

8. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Due process is a good thing but wasnt the original intent that no news would be released until all tests were carried out and the final result was given?

Make a B sample test mandatory immediately after an A sample positive is noted. Test in a different lab with the second lab having no notice of the prior result. Make it quick and accurate.

9. b3rniemac

b3rniemac New Member

Was Tom the one who broke the news (via Twitter) or was it leaked to the media? Any word from Vaughters?

10. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

tom broke it on twitter.
    tom broke it on twitter.
    tom broke it on twitter.
    tom broke it on twitter.
    tom broke it on twitter.
    tom broke it on twitter.
    tom broke it on twitter.

11. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

something tells me tom broke it on twitter.