tom danielson

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by R Jing, Feb 10, 2003.

  1. R Jing

    R Jing Guest

    This chap was a revelation in winning Le Tour De Langkawi over the weekend. Anyone knows how much
    has he raced?

    Tags:

  2. Danny Callen

    Danny Callen Guest

    "R JING" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > This chap was a revelation in winning Le Tour De Langkawi over the
    weekend.
    > Anyone knows how much has he raced?

    First I heard of him was when he beat Tyler Hamilton's record up Mt. Washington. At 24, I'd say he's
    definately one to watch. Incredible.

    Danny Callen

  3. Jtn

    Jtn Guest

    he used to race mtb at the semi-pro level before coming over to road racing. he is an incredible
    climber. started out in cat 3 road racing and smoked it on climbing type races and went straight
    to the top.

    its not like the press states where he jumped on a bike in cat 3 and became pro the next year. he
    was already training and racing alot in the mtb scene. i believe he was also the NCAA nattional
    champ on mtb. correct me if im wrong.

    he reminds me of vaughters. where there are mtns he will be competitive.

  4. easyrider

    easyrider New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2002
    He was racing on the collegiate scene practically yesterday. I wasn't racing here in Colorado yet but some of my college teammates were and their like, "WHOA, that dude we were racing just won the TdL!"

  5. "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "R JING" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > This chap was a revelation in winning Le Tour De Langkawi over the
    > weekend.
    > > Anyone knows how much has he raced?
    > >

    > First I heard of him was when he beat Tyler Hamilton's record up Mt. Washington. At 24, I'd say
    > he's definately one to watch. Incredible.
    >
    > Danny Callen

    I think he has mostly had a mountain bike background, and has been racing road on and off for
    several years. He is the reigning NCAA DI national champion in XC. So he definitely did not
    come from nowhere. He should be pretty good in the near future, well, seems as though he's
    pretty good now.

    Tom

  6. Danny Callen

    Danny Callen Guest

    "Tom Arsenault" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "R JING" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > This chap was a revelation in winning Le Tour De Langkawi over the
    > > weekend.
    > > > Anyone knows how much has he raced?
    > > >

    > > First I heard of him was when he beat Tyler Hamilton's record up Mt. Washington. At 24, I'd say
    > > he's definately one to watch. Incredible.
    > >
    > > Danny Callen
    >
    > I think he has mostly had a mountain bike background, and has been racing road on and off for
    > several years. He is the reigning NCAA DI national champion in XC. So he definitely did not come
    > from nowhere. He should be pretty good in the near future, well, seems as though he's pretty
    > good now.
    >
    > Tom

    Just for clarification, I didn't intend that he came from nowhere. I just wanted to point out that
    beating Tyler's record up Mt. Washington is no small feat!! Being a s young as 24 means in the croad
    ycling world that he damn near came from nowhere! (I just hadn't heard of him prior to the Mt.
    Washington thing..)

    Danny Callen

  7. Bikerecker

    Bikerecker Guest

    He won a NCCA (not NCAA, LOL) MTB XC championship, no mean feat. The Langkawi win is a great one,
    climbing with Munoz in the Genting stage marks him as a potential world class ascender. I have been
    wondering for a while when the next great white hope would come along to replace Armstrong as a
    major tour contender. If Danielson isn't the guy, I don't know who is. Of course, at 23, Armstrong
    had already won a Pro RR World Championship, but he had a much earlier start. Greg Miller

  8. On 11 Feb 2003 01:31:32 GMT, Bikerecker wrote:
    >I have been wondering for a while when the next great white hope would come along to replace
    >Armstrong as a major tour contender.

    That's stretching the metaphor of that phrase a bit. White hope? As opposed to Beloki, Botero,
    González, Sevilla, Heras, Casero, Simoni, Savoldelli, Garzelli? Bicycle racing is as white as it
    gets. Or maybe speedskating.

    >Of course, at 23, Armstrong had already won a Pro RR World Championship

    Yes. We have a saying: what is good, comes fast.

  9. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    On 11 Feb 2003, Bikerecker wrote:

    > He won a NCCA (not NCAA, LOL) MTB XC championship, no mean feat. The Langkawi win is a great one,
    > climbing with Munoz in the Genting stage marks him as a potential world class ascender. I have
    > been wondering for a while when the next great white hope would come along to replace Armstrong as
    > a major tour contender. If Danielson isn't the guy, I don't know who is. Of course, at 23,
    > Armstrong had already won a Pro RR World Championship, but he had a much earlier start.

    It's February. How many guys were _really_ peaking for this race?

    ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [email protected] Kyle Legate [email protected]

    Tower of Tongues:Thursday PM:10:30-11:30 EDT:http://cfmu.mcmaster.ca moon
    musick:ritual:IDM:experimental(electronica):minimalism:glitch
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ...

  10. Jtn

    Jtn Guest

  11. Chris Daggs

    Chris Daggs Guest

    "JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > he used to race mtb at the semi-pro level before coming over to road racing. he is an incredible
    > climber. started out in cat 3 road racing and smoked it on climbing type races and went straight
    > to the top.
    >
    > its not like the press states where he jumped on a bike in cat 3 and became pro the next year. he
    > was already training and racing alot in the mtb scene. i believe he was also the NCAA nattional
    > champ on mtb. correct me if im wrong.

    Danielson did the Pro/1 race in Parker AZ mid-march (after Redlands) last season and was a
    pro/semi-pro MTB racer for Sobe as well. I heard from some guys in CO that he wasn't real serious
    about racing and that had held him back in previous years.

    Hopefully he keeps progressing...I guess Postal was interested in him for 2003, before he went
    with Saturn.

    Chris

  12. On 12 Feb 2003 05:39:22 GMT, Bikerecker wrote:
    >I was, of course, referring to Americans.

    I know, or actually I thought Anglo-American or even English-speaking. That's why I didn't mention
    Leipheimer, Evans, Landis, Millar.

  13. Another February victory by a neo-pro! looks like he's got a lock on the Tour de France from
    2008-2013. I'm placing my bets now.

    Thanks, Ronde Chumpion