tom simpson's family tree ?

ppauper

Dec 5, 2004
this is probably the wrong forum to ask this, but would anyone know the family tree of the late great Tom Simpson (the late great british cyclist) ?

My mother's mother lived in Seaham, Co. Durham, England and lost her husband (my mother's father) to TB.
She remarried a man called Bobby (Robert) Simpson (now long since dead, who was a coalminer, and by the time I came around had a metal leg as a result of a mine accident and whom I never really knew)
My mother (who like Tom Simpson was born in 1937) used to say that Tom Simpson was
her cousin. Obviously, that would be step-cousin or whatever the term is, but I'd be curious
to know if anyone's got a family tree so I could see what the relationship of my mother's stepfather Robert Simpson to Tom Simpson actually was.

Thanks

ppauper said:
thanks, I'll try there.
I'm just curious

Also, Tom Simpsons autobiography has just been reprinted. There might be some family background in that.

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cycling-My-Life-Tommy-Simpson/dp/0224083082]Cycling is My Life: Amazon.co.uk: Tommy Simpson: Books[/ame]

ppauper said:
this is probably the wrong forum to ask this, but would anyone know the family tree of the late great Tom Simpson (the late great british cyclist) ?

My mother's mother lived in Seaham, Co. Durham, England and lost her husband (my mother's father) to TB.
She remarried a man called Bobby (Robert) Simpson (now long since dead, who was a coalminer, and by the time I came around had a metal leg as a result of a mine accident and whom I never really knew)
My mother (who like Tom Simpson was born in 1937) used to say that Tom Simpson was
her cousin. Obviously, that would be step-cousin or whatever the term is, but I'd be curious
to know if anyone's got a family tree so I could see what the relationship of my mother's stepfather Robert Simpson to Tom Simpson actually was.

Thanks

William Fotheringham's book: Put me back on my bike : may have some additional background information.

ISBN-10: 0224061879
ISBN-13: 978-0224061872

I read this book and it does give some family background about TS - but it is so long since I read it I cannot recall clearly.

Fotheringham can be contacted at the Guardian Newspaper.

ppauper said:

Thanks

England Family History Society

Poke around in there for a bit and see what you might find... Failing that you could always hit up the local registrars office (aka the place where they register births, marriages and deaths) and seek advice from them.

ppauper said:
this is probably the (the late great british cyclist) ?

hope I am doing this correctly Tommy Simpson was my uncle. Family details to follow:

His father was Tom Simpson, his son was always referred to as Tommy to distinguish the two!

His mother was Alice Cheetham who had sisters Polly, Lilly and a brother Harry. She was born in 1900 and Tom in 1901.

Tom died in June 1980 and Alice in 1981 they are both buried in a single plot in Harworth cemetary.

Tommy had 4 sisters and a brother - Margaret, Alice, Renee and Jane Ann (Jenny) who was my mother. Harry, his brother lives in Australia. On his mothers side he had 7 neices and nephews.

I don't know anything about his dad's side except they were all born in South Hetton, Co Durham, Tommy himself was born in Haswell Social Club (which no longer exists).