Tom Taylor FWD , Anyone here built one???

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Robert Box, Jun 4, 2003.

  1. Robert Box

    Robert Box Guest

    Has anyone here built a Tom Taylor, fwd swinging boom bike?

    I am looking for info on these bikes and would appreciate an email or seeing your comments on your
    experiences. Both good and bad. Things you would change, improvements to it ect. They appear to be
    pretty neat but I am looking for someone with hands- on experience.

    I'm trying to get research it first before the prototype begins construction.

    Thanks

    Robert

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] (Robert Box) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Has anyone here built a Tom Taylor, fwd swinging boom bike?
    >
    > I am looking for info on these bikes and would appreciate an email or seeing your comments on your
    > experiences. Both good and bad. Things you would change, improvements to it ect. They appear to be
    > pretty neat but I am looking for someone with hands- on experience.
    >
    > I'm trying to get research it first before the prototype begins construction.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Robert

    I built one last summer, and haven't been able to ride it more than a few hundred feet or so. My
    version is USS, and I think that that may be part of the problem. I'll be mailing you some
    pictures shortly.

    Paul

  3. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (Robert Box) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Has anyone here built a Tom Taylor, fwd swinging boom bike?
    >
    > I am looking for info on these bikes and would appreciate an email or seeing your comments on your
    > experiences. Both good and bad. Things you would change, improvements to it ect. They appear to be
    > pretty neat but I am looking for someone with hands- on experience.
    >
    > I'm trying to get research it first before the prototype begins construction.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Robert

    You'll find more info if you spell his name correctly: Tom Traylor. I'll assume you've already found
    his web page at http://traylorfwd.home.mindspring.com/index.html

    I think that people's experiences with other moving-crank-FWD bikes would probably be relevant. You
    should look at postings about the Flevo bikes and Pops Patterson's designs.

    Too bad you weren't in Portland a week and a half ago- Tom and Sima were in town for the Human Power
    Challenge. You could have sampled his- and many other's- bikes.

    (I'm still putting together the results and photos web pages. I should be done tomorrow. In the
    meantime, here's a sample photo: http://www.photodad.com/gallery/hpv_030525/IMG_2075 An interesting
    technical tidbit from the races: of the five multi-rider entries, only one had a conventional linked
    drivetrain- a RANS Screamer. All the rest were independant drivetrains: a pair of linked
    Kettweisels, Gary Dinsmores WYMS copy, and a pair of back-to-back bikes. I'll put comments on the
    web page.)

    Jeff

  4. Robert Box

    Robert Box Guest

    My apologies to Tom for the misspelling of his name .