Tom Teesdale is building tadpole framesets

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B. Sanders

I'm voluntarily cross-posting this from rec.bicycles.marketplace because it's big news for trike
fans on a budget: Tom Teesdale (a highly experienced and well respected US custom framebuilder) is
now building tadpole trike framesets! He's building multiple wheel configurations, in both single
and tandem styles. Prices are quite reasonable, and cheaper than the best quotes I received from
Robert Stein for his wonderful trike framesets (tough choice to make). This is all I've seen so far;
but prices and basic specs are included herein. Looks like Tom can provide a complete trike package
for well under $2,000. I can't wait to see some photos.

Place your orders now. A waiting list is sure to follow...

-=B=-

--------------------------------

TET Trikes

Frameset- SINGLES-$1150 frame, boom, seat cover, handlebars, steering linkage, kingpins, frt
hubs,chainpulley,powdercoating. all other components needed are standard bicycle components.
7/8"OD "T" on top of frt der mast for light/monitor mounts three h2o's-one under seat on main tube,
two on boom socket in frt of cross arm-one above and one below flag mount on top of seat rail
(r.h. for Eng, l.h. for American) threaded mounts on top of both seat rails for lights/ect. rack
loop and rear fender/rack mounts stops and fittings for rear der and Sram internal Seat rails/boom
length set by body measurements.

a. Racer/SportRacer-similar to the glr700mm track 4130 cromoly frame with 7005 aluminum boom .
Configured as a 19 x 16 wheel or 20x20 wheeled, choice of any seat angle from 19 to 45 degrees.

b. Sport Touring/Touring- longer, heavier build for general riding and moderate touring 800mm track
4130 cromoly frame with 7005 aluminum boom. Configured as a 20x20 wheeled, choice of any seat
angle from 25 to 45 degrees.

c. Expedition/Hvy touring - build to take the loads and the miles, 800 mm track 4130 cromoly frame
with 4130 boom . configured as a 20x20 wheeled, choice of any seat angle from 25 to 45 degrees.

TANDEM-$2500 frameset Tandem-splits behind the captain into two sections. multiple h2o's, Both
captain and stoker seat rails custom fitted to the riders. 2" x.065" main tube, 900mm track
ExpTANDEM-$2600 frameset Tandem-splits behind the captain into two sections. multiple h2o's, Both
captain and stoker seat rails custom fitted to the riders. 2 1/2" x.065" main tube, 900mm track,
dual pannier set up

Complete component packages available starting at $700. Sram internal, DaVinci drives(for tandem),
Rohloff internals, and Schlumpf cranksets are available.

Oops! Forgot to include Tom's email address and URL:

http://www.tetcycles.com

[email protected]

"B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:D6q5b.343054$o%2.157243@sccrnsc02...
> I'm voluntarily cross-posting this from rec.bicycles.marketplace because it's big news for trike
> fans on a budget: Tom Teesdale (a highly experienced and well respected US custom framebuilder) is
> now building tadpole trike framesets! He's building multiple wheel configurations, in both single
> and tandem styles. Prices are quite reasonable, and cheaper than the best quotes I received from
> Robert Stein for his wonderful trike framesets (tough choice to make). This is all I've seen so
> far; but prices and basic specs are included herein. Looks like Tom can provide a complete trike
> package for well under $2,000. I can't wait to see some photos.
>
> Place your orders now. A waiting list is sure to follow...
>
> -=B=-
>
> --------------------------------
>
> TET Trikes
>
> Frameset- SINGLES-$1150 frame, boom, seat cover, handlebars, steering linkage, kingpins, frt
> hubs,chainpulley,powdercoating. all other components needed are standard bicycle components.
> 7/8"OD "T" on top of frt der mast for light/monitor mounts three h2o's-one under seat on main
> tube, two on boom socket in frt of
cross
> arm-one above and one below flag mount on top of seat rail (r.h. for Eng, l.h. for American)
> threaded mounts on top of both seat rails for lights/ect. rack loop and rear fender/rack mounts
> stops and fittings for rear der and Sram internal Seat rails/boom length set by body measurements.
>
> a. Racer/SportRacer-similar to the glr700mm track 4130 cromoly frame with 7005 aluminum boom .
> Configured as a 19 x 16 wheel or 20x20 wheeled, choice of any seat angle from 19 to 45 degrees.
>
> b. Sport Touring/Touring- longer, heavier build for general riding and moderate touring 800mm
> track 4130 cromoly frame with 7005 aluminum boom. Configured as a 20x20 wheeled, choice of any
> seat angle from 25 to 45 degrees.
>
> c. Expedition/Hvy touring - build to take the loads and the miles, 800 mm track 4130 cromoly frame
> with 4130 boom . configured as a 20x20 wheeled, choice of any seat angle from 25 to 45 degrees.
>
> TANDEM-$2500 frameset Tandem-splits behind the captain into two sections. multiple h2o's, Both
> captain and stoker seat rails custom fitted to the riders. 2" x.065" main tube, 900mm track
> ExpTANDEM-$2600 frameset Tandem-splits behind the captain into two sections. multiple h2o's, Both
> captain and stoker seat rails custom fitted to the riders. 2 1/2" x.065" main tube, 900mm track,
> dual pannier set up
>
> Complete component packages available starting at $700. Sram internal, DaVinci drives(for tandem),
> Rohloff internals, and Schlumpf cranksets are
available.

Thanks for the info. I live in Fort Lauderdale, just an hours drive south of his West Palm Beach
address. I am eager to view his product. Even in my overweight, rundown condition, I could still get
an HPV home under my own power from that location.

--

Joel Wilson Fort Lauderdale
=========================================
Proud 2 B a pioneering satellite radio subscriber AI4I is always on the trailing edge of technology
"B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Usq5b.344096$Ho3.50542@sccrnsc03...
> Oops! Forgot to include Tom's email address and URL:
>
> http://www.tetcycles.com
>
> [email protected]

Originally posted by Ai4i
Thanks for the info. I live in Fort Lauderdale, just an hours drive south of his West Palm Beach
address. ...

West Palm Beach? Where did you find that address?

JR

The address, I thought, was in Iowa. Not Florida. There isn't any information on their website about
recumbents, trikes, etc. And there is no reply so far on e-mails.

Sounds like it is a little premature to be posting about recumbents, etc.?

"John Riley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ai4i wrote:
> > Thanks for the info. I live in Fort Lauderdale, just an hours drive south of his West Palm
> > Beach address. ...
>
>
>
> West Palm Beach? Where did you find that address?
>
> JR
>
>
>
> --
> >--------------------------<
> Posted via cyclingforums.com http://www.cyclingforums.com

Oops, my eyes floated across the location too fast. My mistake.

--

Proud 2 B a pioneering satellite radio subscriber AI4I is always on the trailing edge of technology
> > West Palm Beach? Where did you find that address?
> >
> > JR
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > >--------------------------<
> > Posted via cyclingforums.com http://www.cyclingforums.com

"iLiad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> The address, I thought, was in Iowa. Not Florida. There isn't any information on their website
> about recumbents, trikes,
etc.
> And there is no reply so far on e-mails.
>
> Sounds like it is a little premature to be posting about recumbents, etc.?

Have you ever dealt with a custom builder before? I don't know how Tom works; but most well-known
custom builders are very busy, and have a backlog of work. If it takes a few days for him to respond
to email, then that's how long it takes. I doubt that he would have posted such an elaborate
announcement to rec.bicycles.marketplace without intending to follow through. I presume he has
actually jigged and built some trike prototypes. Again, all I know is what I read; but it appears
legit. Small businesses can't afford to update their websites frequently. It costs money - and lots
of it. (I know because I'm a web designer ;-)

-Barry

>
>
>
> "John Riley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Ai4i wrote:
> > > Thanks for the info. I live in Fort Lauderdale, just an hours drive south of his West Palm
> > > Beach address. ...
> >
> >
> >
> > West Palm Beach? Where did you find that address?
> >
> > JR
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > >--------------------------<
> > Posted via cyclingforums.com http://www.cyclingforums.com

Here is an Email he sent me. I don't think there is anything wrong with my forwarding it to
the group:

*********9/5 Friday Joel Thanks for the e-mail. I am making Greenspeed style tadpole trikes.

I have built upright frames for 27 years and started building trikes a few years ago from Greenspeed
tubing kits and now build them complete. I still use Greenspeed kingpins/frt hubs/chainpulleys/seat
covers and my designs are based on some of their original plans. Seats are fixed w/an adjustable
boom. Steering and parts are interchangable with Greenspeed. I have attached some(large) jpegs of a
couple trikes and a sizing form. The advantage over Greenspeed is cost, delivery time and I custom
build each trike. I sell "framesets" and complete trikes. Framesets are everything except the
standard bicycle parts. Framesets do include the frt hubs which can be drum or disc type. I am
working up the component package listing and will have that shortly if you are interested in a
complete trike. All types of drives are available. In florida a 9spd w/ triple chainrings should be
plenty of gearing for you.

Types I build: All types can have any seat angle you prefer and seats are shaped to fit your body
dimensions. Each can be customized to suit you needs and desires. Racer-think Greenspeed GLR. I
build these as light as can be done. sub 30#,19x16 wheels Sport Racer-a slightly heavier version of
the racer in 20x20 wheel set up Sport Touring-higher seating , longer and wider tracked than the
Racer, more ground clearance. General recreational, commuting,light touring Touring-heavier built,
designed for serious touring Expedition-built with good clearance, designed for distance self
contained touring, heavy loads Tandem- a GTT. splits into two sections Exp Tandem-heavier built than
the Tandem, daul pannier capacity, self contained touring for two.

Below are some general specs and pricing. What type of trike are you looking for? Are you
interested in a frameset or a complete trike? Do you ride 'bents now? What have you ridden and how
did you like them?

Thanks for taking the time to look at the website (though there is no trike related info there yet)
and your interest in TET Trikes. Please let me know any questions or comments you may have.

Thank Tom

Contact, mailing,shipping-- TET/ Tom Teesdale 403 S Maple West Branch. IA 52358 www.tetcycles.com
voice 319-643-2073 e-mail [email protected]

********prices/specs********* TET Trikes

Frameset-(all framesets can be either disc or drum frt brakes, includes everything but the standard
bike components) SINGLES-$1300 frame,boom, seat cover, handlebars, steering linkage,kingpins, frt
hubs,chainpulley,powdercoating. all other components needed are standard bicycle components.
7/8"od "T" on top of frt der mast for light/monitor mounts three h2o's-one under seat on main tube,
two on boom socket in frt of cross arm-one above and one below flag mount on top of seat rail
(r.h. for Eng, l.h. for american) threaded mounts on top of both seat rails for lights/ect. rack
loop and rear fender/rack mounts stops and fiitngs for rear der and Sram internal Seat rails/boom
length set by body measurements.

a. Racer/SportRacer-similar to the glr700mm track 4130 cromoly frame with 7005 aluminum boom .
configured as a 19 x 16 wheel or 20x20 wheeled, choice of any seat angle from 19 to 55 degrees.

b. Sport Touring/Touring- longer, heavier build for general riding and moderate touring 800mm track
4130 cromoly frame with 7005 aluminum boom . configured as a 20x20 wheeled, choice of any seat
angle from 25 to 55 degrees.

c. Expedition - build to take the loads and the miles, 800 mm track 4130 cromoly frame with 4130
boom . configured as a 20x20 wheeled, choice of any seat angle from 25 to 55 degrees.

TANDEM-$2500 frameset Tandem-splits behind the captain into two sections. multiple h2o's, Both
captain and stoker seat rails custom fitted to the riders. 2" x.065" main tube, 900mm track
ExpTANDEM-$2600 frameset Tandem-splits behind the captain into two sections. multiple h2o's, Both
captain and stoker seat rails custom fitted to the riders. 2 1/2" x.065" main tube, 900mm track,
dual pannier set up

Complete component packages available starting a $700. Sram internal, DaVinci drives(for tandem),
Rohloff internals, and schlumph cranksets are availabl

--

"B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:sa56b.272931$Oz4.72655@rwcrnsc54...
> "iLiad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> Have you ever dealt with a custom builder before? I don't know how Tom works; but most well-known
> custom builders are very busy, and have a
backlog
> of work. If it takes a few days for him to respond to email, then that's
how
> long it takes. I doubt that he would have posted such an elaborate announcement to
> rec.bicycles.marketplace without intending to follow through. I presume he has actually jigged and
> built some trike
prototypes.
> Again, all I know is what I read; but it appears legit. Small businesses can't afford to update
> their websites frequently. It costs money - and
lots
> of it. (I know because I'm a web designer ;-)
>
> -Barry

Kinda odd Mr. Teesdale himself has not added his apology or pledge to not go ahead with ripping off
Greenspeed. It might be a winable court action if Greenspeed pushed it that far.

Duplication is flattery only untill you stick on the decals and name of the company you ripped off
and then cloned. If someone puts the clone on Ebay and the steering fails Greespeed has their
reputation soiled because their name is on the product.

Those of us old geezers who bought our "Tour Easy" plans back when E-R was starting out...would
NEVER tell people we had the a TE original....not that anyone had ever seen the original back
then....I feel soooo old sometimes.

**I always wondered how many who started out with a TE-Clone went on to buy the "real McCoy"...with
regret I didn't.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
> Using Greenspeed plans and parts (without a license) can generate some bad press though. See
>
http://pub152.ezboard.com/fbentrideronlinefrm9.showMessage?topicID=437.topic
> for comments from Greenspeed and others.
>
> --
> Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html varis at no spam please iki fi

"Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> SNIP<
>
> Those of us old geezers who bought our "Tour Easy" plans back when E-R was starting out...would
> NEVER tell people we had the a TE original....not that anyone had ever seen the original back
> then....

I saw and rode several of Gardner's "originals" in 1978. He was going 'round to bike stores letting
employees ride his bikes. It was very cool. Not sure anymore, but I may have ridden the bikes used
in the 55mph competition.

cheers, rorschandt

Joshua Goldberg <[email protected]> wrote:
: Kinda odd Mr. Teesdale himself has not added his apology or pledge to not go ahead with ripping
: off Greenspeed. It might be a winable court action if Greenspeed pushed it that far.

Yup Teesdale sounds like a guy whose (present and future) business could be really hurt by bad PR
like this.

Greenspeed needs to add $100 to prices for lawyer fees. I wouldn't think they have too deep
pockets :p

: Duplication is flattery only untill you stick on the decals and name of the company you ripped off
: and then cloned. If someone puts the clone on Ebay and the steering fails Greespeed has their
: reputation soiled because their name is on the product.

I understood Teesdale wasn't going to do anything like that...

Whether it's illegal might depend on the license conditions in Greenspeed kits/plans, what do you
think? Directly copying it sounds like stretching one's luck though...

Consumers could benefit from parts being interchangeable between manufacturers, and from cheaply
priced clones. That said, why make a direct clone if you are an independent manufacturer? (It's
lame, right? :) I understand Teesdale had the intention of improving on the Greenspeed design...

Without the Greenspeed stamp of quality, you couldn't be sure how well the trikes are built before
hearing a few user comments, anyway...

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html varis at no spam please iki fi

Status
Not open for further replies.