Tomato Sauce?

W

What?

Hi, I notice that many American recipes call for tomato sauce. I'm based in the UK and am not
exactly sure what a recipe means when it stipulates tomato sauce. Does it mean pureed tomatoes or a
cooked and seasoned tomato sauce, such as you would use in an Italian tomato sauce?

TIA.

"what?" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I notice that many American recipes call for tomato sauce. I'm based
in
> the UK and am not exactly sure what a recipe means when it stipulates
tomato
> sauce. Does it mean pureed tomatoes or a cooked and seasoned tomato
sauce,
> such as you would use in an Italian tomato sauce?

It means a cooked and seasoned tomato sauce.

Hal Laurent Baltimore

x-no-archive: yes

Hal Laurent wrote:

>
>"what?" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Hi, I notice that many American recipes call for tomato sauce. I'm based
>in
>> the UK and am not exactly sure what a recipe means when it stipulates
>tomato
>> sauce. Does it mean pureed tomatoes or a cooked and seasoned tomato
>sauce,
>> such as you would use in an Italian tomato sauce?
>
>It means a cooked and seasoned tomato sauce.
>

Oh, not necessarily, I think! There's a product you find on the shelves called "tomato sauce" which
is not exactly the same as puree-- it's more concentrated-- but it's not seasoned unless it's
specially labeled. If I were following a recipe that called for "tomato sauce" I would go for the
unseasoned product.

Naomi D.

"Naomi Darvell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> Hal Laurent wrote:
>
> >
> >"what?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> Hi, I notice that many American recipes call for tomato sauce. I'm
based
> >in
> >> the UK and am not exactly sure what a recipe means when it stipulates
> >tomato
> >> sauce. Does it mean pureed tomatoes or a cooked and seasoned tomato
> >sauce,
> >> such as you would use in an Italian tomato sauce?
> >
> >It means a cooked and seasoned tomato sauce.
> >
>
> Oh, not necessarily, I think! There's a product you find on the shelves
called
> "tomato sauce" which is not exactly the same as puree-- it's more concentrated-- but it's not
> seasoned unless it's specially labeled.

Sounds like you're talking about tomato paste. Not the same thing at all as tomato sauce.

Hal Laurent Baltimore

> (Naomi Darvell) erroneously states:
>
>Oh, not necessarily, I think! There's a product you find on the shelves called "tomato sauce" which
>is not exactly the same as puree-- it's more concentrated-- but it's not seasoned unless it's
>specially labeled. If I were following a recipe that called for "tomato sauce" I would go for the
>unseasoned product.

Canned "Tomato Sauce" (in the US) is a seasoned tomato product, which is why it's called "Sauce"...
read the label.

Canned tomato products labeled Puree, Crushed, Whole, Paste, etc. are not seasoned (except those
that state they contain herbs- usually basil)... where the word "Sauce" appears it's seasoned. Some
canned tomato products state they contain 'no added salt' but they still contain salt, all food
naturally contains salt.

---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon
```````````` "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:11:04 -0500, "Hal Laurent"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"what?" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Hi, I notice that many American recipes call for tomato sauce. I'm based
>in
>> the UK and am not exactly sure what a recipe means when it stipulates
>tomato
>> sauce. Does it mean pureed tomatoes or a cooked and seasoned tomato
>sauce,
>> such as you would use in an Italian tomato sauce?
>
>It means a cooked and seasoned tomato sauce.

That would be spaghetti sauce. Tomato sauce is usually just cooked strained/pureed tomatoes, salt,
and citric acid - unless it's advertised as being adulterated with other spices.

-sw

x-no-archive: yes

Sheldon wrote:

>
>> (Naomi Darvell) erroneously states:
>>
>>Oh, not necessarily, I think! There's a product you find on the shelves called "tomato sauce"
>>which is not exactly the same as puree-- it's more concentrated-- but it's not seasoned unless
>>it's specially labeled. If I
>were
>>following a recipe that called for "tomato sauce" I would go for the unseasoned product.
>
>Canned "Tomato Sauce" (in the US) is a seasoned tomato product, which is why it's called "Sauce"...
>read the label.
>
>Canned tomato products labeled Puree, Crushed, Whole, Paste, etc. are not seasoned (except those
>that state they contain herbs- usually basil)... where the word "Sauce" appears it's seasoned. Some
>canned tomato products state they contain 'no added salt' but they still contain salt, all food
>naturally contains salt.

What is that thing I find on the supermarket shelf labeled "Tomato Sauce"? It commonly comes in 8-oz
cans from companies such as Hunts. It contains nothing other than tomatoes, tomato concentrate,
whatever, and perhaps salt.

Naomi D.

On 27 Jan 2004 02:13:01 GMT, [email protected] (PENMART01) wrote:

>Canned "Tomato Sauce" (in the US) is a seasoned tomato product, which is why it's called "Sauce"...
>read the label.

"Tomato pureee, water, salt, citric acid, tomato fiber, natural flavor".

-sw

"Naomi Darvell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> No, I regularly buy tomato paste. It's not the same as tomato sauce. I'm talking about products by
> companies like Hunt and Contadina which are
labeled
> tomato sauce.
>
>
http://www.hunts.com/gateway?waf.action=Hunts&page_name=P01Products&categoryID=0&mnav=products

Is the url to Hunts product listing. It appears that tomato sauce, while not as flavored as
spaghetti sauce, does have some seasoning to it. It sounds a lot like ketchup to me. They have a
tomato puree that they describe as having "a texture between tomato paste and crushed tomatoes."
Then, they have the regular tomato paste, which is concentrated, strained tomatoes.

"what?" <[email protected]> wrote in message

in
tomato
> sauce.

Could you give an example of the recipe that includes a mention of tomato sauce?

Given that it doesn't seem to be an open and shut definition that is immediatley obvious to other
posters then the recipe may help people to figure out what this ingredient really is.

Cooked and seasoned sauce, but not necessarily spaghetti sauce.

--
Helen

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift: Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God is the object
of our faith; the only faith that saves is faith in Him

<>< ><> www.peagramfamily.com http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/MY_WEIGHT_WATCHERS.html

http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/RECIPES.html

225/188.4/145

"what?" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
in
tomato
> sauce. Does it mean pureed tomatoes or a cooked and seasoned tomato
sauce,
> such as you would use in an Italian tomato sauce?
>
> TIA.

what? <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi, I notice that many American recipes call for tomato sauce. I'm based in the UK and am not
> exactly sure what a recipe means when it stipulates tomato sauce. Does it mean pureed tomatoes or
> a cooked and seasoned tomato sauce, such as you would use in an Italian tomato sauce?

Tomato sauce in the United States is typically a marinara type sauce. If you have a specific
recipe in mind, post the recipe then we can say for sure what type of tomato sauce would be
appropriate for it.

what? wrote:
>
> Hi, I notice that many American recipes call for tomato sauce. I'm based in the UK and am not
> exactly sure what a recipe means when it stipulates tomato sauce. Does it mean pureed tomatoes or
> a cooked and seasoned tomato sauce, such as you would use in an Italian tomato sauce?
>
> TIA.

It's generally meant to be either a finished seasoned sauce or occasionally the equivalent of a
passata. It's not normally used to mean the stuff that goes on bangers or chips, as in Heinz.

On 27 Jan 2004 14:47:12 GMT, [email protected] (PENMART01) wrote:

>> Sqwertz fabricates:
>>
>>(PENMART01) wrote:
>>
>>>Canned "Tomato Sauce" (in the US) is a seasoned tomato product, which is why it's called
>>>"Sauce"... read the label.
>>
>>"Tomato puree'e, water, salt, citric acid, tomato fiber, natural flavor".
>
>Anyone with a can of tomato sauce and who can read will know you're a liar.

Don't you ever get tired of being wrong? I figured you'd be used to it by now, but you keep coming
back for more.

That was from a can of HEB brand tomato sauce.

Some brands may indeed have some "spices" in them, THE USDA even says they can, but a very minute
amount not even *identifiable* in the end product. And certainly not fit for use as a spagetti sauce
without additional adulteration.

-sw

On 28 Jan 2004 00:38:11 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>what? <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi, I notice that many American recipes call for tomato sauce. I'm based in the UK and am not
>> exactly sure what a recipe means when it stipulates tomato sauce. Does it mean pureed tomatoes or
>> a cooked and seasoned tomato sauce, such as you would use in an Italian tomato sauce?
>
>Tomato sauce in the United States is typically a marinara type sauce. If you have a specific
>recipe in mind, post the recipe then we can say for sure what type of tomato sauce would be
>appropriate for it.

Wrong. Tomato sauce in an American recipe is what comes in cans labeled 'tomato sauce'. The URL
posted the other day

http://www.hunts.com/A02-FAQ.jsp?mnav=about

shows that plain 'sauce' is roughly equivalent to 'puree', a diluted form of 'paste', or a
concentrated 'juice'.

I realize that marinara means 'tomato,' so strictly speaking, marinara sauce and tomato sauce are
the same thing, but usually 'marinara' refers to a complete seasoned and cooked sauce, to be put
over pasta or meat, while 'tomato sauce' means liquidized tomatoes with salt and perhaps a teeny bit
of other seasonings to be used as a recipe *ingredient*.

Jarred or canned 'pasta sauces' (oddly not made from pasta :). are meant to be used as-is and are
thoroughly cooked and seasoned.

PENMART01 wrote:
> Frogputz
>
> Stan is correct, and you, Frogputz, are a most ignorant *******...
>
> go stand in the "Hopeless Morons" line with Sqwertz, both of yoose share the same DNA, means yoose
> both have the same 25¢ whoring momma, but different imbecile poppas, unknown marinaras naturally.
>
> Ahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .
>
Off your meds again? plonk.

DRB wrote:

> Is the url to Hunts product listing. It appears that tomato sauce, while not as flavored as
> spaghetti sauce, does have some seasoning to it. It sounds a lot like ketchup to me.

Tomato sauce and ketchup are not alike. At all. And tomato sauce and spaghetti sauce aren't alike,
either. Different altogether.

nancy

In article <[email protected]>, Nancy Young
<[email protected]> wrote:

> DRB wrote:
>
> > Is the url to Hunts product listing. It appears that tomato sauce, while not as flavored as
> > spaghetti sauce, does have some seasoning to it. It sounds a lot like ketchup to me.
>
> Tomato sauce and ketchup are not alike. At all. And tomato sauce and spaghetti sauce aren't alike,
> either. Different altogether.
>
> nancy

It's getting harder and harder to find simple whole, diced or pureed tomatos for all the Italian,
Mexican, zesty and chili-flavored varieties on the shelves. Can sauce be far behind?

"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> DRB wrote:
>
> > Is the url to Hunts product listing. It appears that tomato sauce,
while
> > not as flavored as spaghetti sauce, does have some seasoning to it. It sounds a lot like ketchup
> > to me.
>
> Tomato sauce and ketchup are not alike. At all. And tomato sauce and spaghetti sauce aren't alike,
> either. Different altogether.
>
> nancy

At home in England, ketchup was known as tomato sauce - perhaps it still is. I agree, though, tomato
sauce here in the US is a different animal (no seasoning) from ketchup. BTW, I love Heinz' new
ketchup. It's called "Zesty", or something and really sparks things up.

Dora