Tomato's - can I eat as much as I like?

J

Johan Van Zyl -

Hi As I am very fond of tomatoes it would be goods news if I could each as much as Ilike without it
rasing my BG. Thx T2

pick up a copy of one of Corinne T. Netzer's books, such as "The complete book of Food Counts".

BTW, tomato 2-3/5" diameter 5.7 carbs

there are PAGES of tomato info in the Food Counts book

dave

Johan van Zyl - JVZ Systems CC wrote:

> Hi As I am very fond of tomatoes it would be goods news if I could each as much as Ilike without
> it rasing my BG. Thx T2

just in case you don't know about carbs...YES, tomatoes will raise your bgs.

dave

> Hi As I am very fond of tomatoes it would be goods news if I could each as much as Ilike without

they have natural sugar in them iirc.

some days they dont bother me as much as others, it's a go day by day game when your diabetic.

no two days will be the same.

--
RK - t1 *Disclaimer: i'm not a doctor. I only share personal experience of being a diabetic. I have
no textbook learning, only life itself.
----------------------
In tribute to the United States of America and the State of Israel, two bastions of strength in a
world filled with strife and terrorism.

"Johan van Zyl - JVZ Systems CC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

LOL yes that would be very good news :). but it is news that's not coming. personally I like cherry
tomatoes or plum best( not saying those are the best choices) usually only have them in a nice
spinach salad with some blue cheese dressing and some baby carrots. works fine for me. personally I
wish I could eat as many Italian pastries as I wanted with out raising my blood sugar - or the nice
old fashion type of cheese cake :(. cheese cake used to be my favorite have not had it in over a
year - :(. lol sorry for my little vent. lol wow that really hurt thinking about it. felt like I was
just dx'd all over again. I was dx'd diabetic January, 2003 39 male type 2.

--
"I'm a wabbit swayer, a guitar pwayer, with a nasty habit, KILL DA WABBIT! KILL DA WABBIT!" in da
burning wight, it was a kiwwing night Steewl meets da head, another wabbit's dead..."

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:57:45 GMT, Bay Area Dave <[email protected]> wrote:

>pick up a copy of one of Corinne T. Netzer's books, such as "The complete book of Food Counts".
>
>BTW, tomato 2-3/5" diameter 5.7 carbs
>
>there are PAGES of tomato info in the Food Counts book
>
>dave
>
>Johan van Zyl - JVZ Systems CC wrote:
>
>> Hi As I am very fond of tomatoes it would be goods news if I could each as much as Ilike without
>> it rasing my BG. Thx T2

The cans of tomatoes in my pantry average 3.9% carbs, of which 2.9% is sugar. Fat is negligible,
fibre (seperate to carbs over here) is 0.5%.

You would get between two and four servings from one can. To turn that into grams, say you got three
serves, it works out at about 5gm of carb, including 3 1/2 gm of sugar.

I use tomatoes in one form or another in almost everything I cook, and of course, also fresh in
salads. I would probably eat tomatoes in two meals out of three. Unfortunately you can't eat "as
much as I like without it rasing my BG." But they are a lot less likely to cause problems than most
fruits and any of the starchy veges.

Watch out for canned tomato soup. Maybe they are different in your country, but I spike on canned
soups even if the ingredients list indicates I shouldn't. Something they add in the processing I
suspect. Make your own - it's tastier and safer.

Cheers Alan, T2, Oz. dx May 2002 , A1C 8.2=>5.8, wt 117kg=>90kg, no meds, diet and not enough
exercise. I have no medical qualifications beyond my own experience. Choose your advisers carefully,
because experience can be an expensive teacher.
--
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

> Hi As I am very fond of tomatoes it would be goods news
if I could each
> as much as Ilike without it rasing my BG.

Tomatoes can raise bg's. I can eat lots of tomatoes in one meal, some cooked as a suace over meat
and more in a side salad. The only way you can work out what foods personally give you a rise is to
test it with your meter.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>
>Hi As I am very fond of tomatoes it would be goods news if I could each as much as Ilike without it
>rasing my BG. Thx T2

If you've got a BG meter, test yourself, eat some totmatoes, wait an hour, and test again. There is
no way to predict how your body is going to react to different foods, you just have to try it and
see what happens. It may be that you can't eat tomatoes at all (or only very seldom); it may be you
can eat them in moderation, or it may be it's chow time! You'll have to test to find out.

Good luck

FW

> it rasing my BG.

No. They contain carbs. 1/2 cup of cooked tomatoes or 1 cup of raw tomatoes is about 15 g of carb.
Unless you buy those nasty canned ones that I bought the other day. Bought some with peppers and
onions, thinking I'd save myself a step. Then found out that they added sugar! Better than high
fructose corn syrup I suppose, but still not something I want in my tomatoes.

I find that when it comes to food, there is nothing I can eat as much as I like of. Although I do
really like salad, and so far have not been able to overeat on it.

--
Type 2 http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

In alt.support.diabetes Johan van Zyl - JVZ Systems CC <[email protected]> wrote:
: Hi As I am very fond of tomatoes it would be goods news if I could each as much as Ilike without
: it rasing my BG. Thx T2

tomatos don't aprticularly spike me, but they do spike others. The only way you will know how many
you can tolerate is to try a given amount and then test at 1 and 2 hours after eating them.

Wendy