Tomilaris-isms

a5hi5m

New Member
Aug 22, 2005
Arrrrrgh!! This guy ***** me sometimes, don't know why but he just does.

A few efforts from the end of this mornings summary:

Dennis Menchov showing so much form in the lead up to this race, particularly in last years Vuelta...

Michael Boogard showed so much form in the early part of his career, without actually delivering...

And lets talk more about Cadel Evans. He of course is a former bike rider ...

Thanks Mike, another great summary!!

Ash

a5hi5m said:
Thanks Mike, another great summary!!

He mentioned something else last night that floored me. The I promply forgot what the fk it was, must sit down with paper & pen tonight to jot down those *pearls of wisdom*. :D

cfsmtb said:
He mentioned something else last night that floored me. The I promply forgot what the fk it was, must sit down with paper & pen tonight to jot down those *pearls of wisdom*. :D

Yeah, he mentioned that Cadel was a former mountain biker who got into bike racing.

Was Mike around before the "Lance era"? His constant reference to no one dominating like Lance shat me to tears - maybe I was just tired an grumpy.

If you see the clock behind him, he's doing that talk live, about 6 or 7 minutes after the leaders have gone through, not much time to prepare let alone rehearse what to say.

a5hi5m wrote:

> Arrrrrgh!! This guy ***** me sometimes, don't know why but he just does.
>
> A few efforts from the end of this mornings summary:
>
> Dennis Menchov showing so much form in the lead up to this race,
> particularly in last years Vuelta...
>
> Michael Boogard showed so much form in the early part of his career,
> without actually delivering...
>
> And lets talk more about Cadel Evans. He of course is a former bike
> rider ...
>

> Thanks Mike, another great summary!!

He even managed to mention Lance Armstrong 5 times during his 'wrap-up'
More than Phil and Paul last night I think.

--
BrettS

BrettS <[email protected]> wrote:

> He even managed to mention Lance Armstrong 5 times during his 'wrap-up'
> More than Phil and Paul last night I think.

However I think Paul still managed to say "engine room" at least 136
times.

--
..dt

I don't remember seeing anyone last night in the big ring charging up
the hill

Maybe thats why he was mentioning Armstrong

On 2006-07-14, dtmeister (aka Bruce)
> BrettS <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> He even managed to mention Lance Armstrong 5 times during his 'wrap-up'
>> More than Phil and Paul last night I think.

> However I think Paul still managed to say "engine room" at least 136
> times.

They're still talking about massive gears despite der kaiser being
out.

--
TimC
To define recursion, we must first define recursion.

I got an email from blah [email protected] but his return address
bounced so I am assuming he meant to post this to the ng and am responding
here

From: blah>

> Theo Bekkers wrote:

> > [email protected] wrote:

> > > My favourite Philism of the night was his comment about the upcoming

> > > Stage 11: "There's a lot of climbs in tomorrows stage, and we finish
> > > on the last one."

> > There were a few climbs in stage 10, but they didn't finish on the last
> > one.

> > Stage 11 finishes at the top of a climb, which is what I understood

> > Phil to say in context to stage 10, where he said it.

> Jeeeez mate! Get into the pedantic spirit here!

Not at all. I was a little incensed that the original poster (was that you?)
was slinging off at Phil and appeared not to have understood what he said at
all.

I have a great respect for Phil and other commentators who can talk for six
hours during a stage during which nothing happens for at least three hours,
and still manage to be entertaining and informing. I know I couldn't do it,
could you?

Theo Bekkers

Last night, I was watching for riders "turning themselves inside out". (Not sure who said it but they must have said it a dozen times)

How would you tell which team they were riding for - they would all just be pink and fleshy.

SteveA

SteveA wrote:
> Last night, I was watching for riders "turning themselves inside out".
>
> How would you tell which team they were riding for - they would all
> just be pink and fleshy.
>
> SteveA
>

> --
> SteveA

Last night they had McEwen leading the mountains competition and they
couldn't remember Boogerd doing so well on a mountain stage ever
before, even I could remember him winning a mountain stage a few years
ago and I wasn't even there.

Bruce.

Theo Bekkers wrote:
> I got an email from blah [email protected] but his return address
> bounced so I am assuming he meant to post this to the ng and am responding
> here
>
> From: blah>
>
> > Theo Bekkers wrote:

> > > There were a few climbs in stage 10, but they didn't finish on the last
> > > one.

> > > Stage 11 finishes at the top of a climb, which is what I understood

> > > Phil to say in context to stage 10, where he said it.

> > Jeeeez mate! Get into the pedantic spirit here!

> Not at all. I was a little incensed that the original poster (was that you?)
> was slinging off at Phil and appeared not to have understood what he said at
> all.
>
> I have a great respect for Phil and other commentators who can talk for six
> hours during a stage during which nothing happens for at least three hours,
> and still manage to be entertaining and informing. I know I couldn't do it,
> could you?
>
> Theo Bekkers

Aha, that's where it went! Sorry, must have clicked 'reply to author'
on google groups rather than 'reply to group'. Sorry!
On to the point:
I was more ironically suggesting that, like everyone (ie, not everyone,
but you know what I mean) else here, you should be complaining about
Phil and Paul, not supporting them. Ironically.
The 'pedantic' reference was to the exact original poster who was
saying that phil's statement was a tautology (hope it; I'm sure a
pedant will pull me up if it isn't): of course you finish on the final
climb. It's the final one. Pity the picky so and so was wrong!
I'm a huge fan of paul and phil, as I've stated in other threads. Can't
say enough good about them.

Michael Boogard showed so much form in the early part of his career, without actually delivering...

Alot of people still alude to Boogerd not delivering at the Tour in the past. Its always been totally unfair though, coz its always been apparent Boogerd has never had the complete game to do really well in Grand Tours. I think it came from the Dutch just being so desperate to have a GC rider again they latched onto him. I assumed Tomalaris was referring to all that, which actually pleasantly surprised me, that he even knew Boogerd was ever considered to have any promise at the Tour.

Bruce Dickson said:
Last night they had McEwen leading the mountains competition and they
couldn't remember Boogerd doing so well on a mountain stage ever
before, even I could remember him winning a mountain stage a few years
ago and I wasn't even there.

Bruce.
Well I cant remember him climbing so well either. Its his most impressive ride i think (classics aside). He was doing all the tempo in lead group, shelling guys, and still didnt finish that far behind when dropped. For his Queens stage win, he was allowed to get alot of time in a breakaway, he hadnt exactly ridden the leaders off his wheel. Still a good effort, not knocking it but this performance i thought was far more impressive.

I just can't stand any of the SBS guys using the 'fancy' Southern and Western Euro accents on the Euro names.

My "favourite" of Tomo's was his "Mee-airks" for "Merckx", during that history of The Tour doco he narrated.

And how about Andrew Orsati during previous tours saying "Veronkay", for "Virenque"!! ****** :)

oely wrote:
> > Michael Boogard showed so much form in the early part of his career,
> > without actually delivering...

> Alot of people still alude to Boogerd not delivering at the Tour in the
> past. Its always been totally unfair though, coz its always been
> apparent Boogerd has never had the complete game to do really well in
> Grand Tours. I think it came from the Dutch just being so desperate to
> have a GC rider again they latched onto him. I assumed Tomalaris was
> referring to all that, which actually pleasantly surprised me, that he
> even knew Boogerd was ever considered to have any promise at the Tour.
>
> Bruce Dickson Wrote:
> >
> > Last night they had McEwen leading the mountains competition and they
> > couldn't remember Boogerd doing so well on a mountain stage ever
> > before, even I could remember him winning a mountain stage a few years
> > ago and I wasn't even there.
> >
> > Bruce.

> Well I cant remember him climbing so well either. Its his most
> impressive ride i think (classics aside). He was doing all the tempo in
> lead group, shelling guys, and still didnt finish that far behind when
> dropped. For his Queens stage win, he was allowed to get alot of time
> in a breakaway, he hadnt exactly ridden the leaders off his wheel.
> Still a good effort, not knocking it but this performance i thought was
> far more impressive.
>

> --
> oely

I'm not saying it wasn't more impressive. I was just surprised that
they were going on about how he'd never done a good ride in the
mountains before and how surprising it was and didn't once refer back
to that mountain stage win when often they dig up all sorts of obscure
facts from riders past performances.

Bruce.

On 2006-07-14, 531Aussie (aka Bruce)

At least we don't have a ****** saying "tour DAY france". That would
**** me off.

--
TimC
In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded.

TimC wrote:
> On 2006-07-14, dtmeister (aka Bruce)
>
>>BrettS <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>He even managed to mention Lance Armstrong 5 times during his 'wrap-up'
>>>More than Phil and Paul last night I think.

>>However I think Paul still managed to say "engine room" at least 136
>>times.

> They're still talking about massive gears despite der kaiser being
> out.

Is that because der kaiser does massive amounts of gear?
allegedly :)

>>>However I think Paul still managed to say "engine room" at least 136
>>>times.

And the race radio is aways "crackling in his ear".

There was a great photo in the SMH on Friday of the peloton climbing around
a bend - worth framing.

fb in damp sidnee - should be right for a ride tomorrow (William St bike
lane protest at Noon)

Theo Bekkers wrote:
> I got an email from blah [email protected] but his return address
> bounced so I am assuming he meant to post this to the ng and am responding
> here
>
> From: blah>
>
> > Theo Bekkers wrote:

> > > There were a few climbs in stage 10, but they didn't finish on the last
> > > one.

> > > Stage 11 finishes at the top of a climb, which is what I understood

> > > Phil to say in context to stage 10, where he said it.

> > Jeeeez mate! Get into the pedantic spirit here!

> Not at all. I was a little incensed that the original poster (was that you?)
> was slinging off at Phil and appeared not to have understood what he said at
> all.
>
> I have a great respect for Phil and other commentators who can talk for six
> hours during a stage during which nothing happens for at least three hours,
> and still manage to be entertaining and informing. I know I couldn't do it,
> could you?

If there is nofin' to say, don't say nofin' at all...

Couple a years back Dingus One actually says something like "there is a
lot of conversation in the pelaton today" and Dingus Two says "yes if
you very quite you can actually pick up what they are saying"

Did either Dingus STFU ?

Beastly Gear for a Beast of A Man

haha