Tomorrow AM - low of -4 F. I am SO riding at 4 AM.

MotownBikeBoy

Nov 24, 2012
Am I nuts? Well, yes, but that is another story. ;) I gotta ride, it's under my skin like .... Well, I need it like a junkie needs a fix. :) So, I am ready - heated boots, Columbia snow pants, heated coat, heated gloves, multiple layers, balaclava, pack with charged spare batteries for the Columbia heated gear. Oh, and some cash for a hot breakfast at the all-night Coney Island about 10 miles away. Might even splurge and have pancakes for the first time in 18 months. And the last - I'm starting a detox Monday, the entire Tri team is doing it.

Originally Posted by MotownBikeBoy

a hot breakfast at the all-night Coney Island about 10 miles away. Might even splurge and have pancakes for the first time in 18 months. And the last - I'm starting a detox Monday,
I am starting to be very curious about some of the sandwiches some of those dinners make over there. I discovered these "Pulled Pork" and "Pit Beef" sandwiches that look pretty tasty... Strangely enough there isn't a single place that I know that makes those around here, (or in the neighbouring countries for that matter). It's kinda strange since they look very tasty and there are allready lot's of burger grills etc. There are also TGI' Wednesdays and some other similar places...

Are they as tasty as they look?
love.png

Yup, pretty good. Very easy to make, too. Southern style pulled pork sandwiches often have cole slaw on top. In general, those are southern dishes which have spread in popularity due to cooking shows, the new emphasis on regional cuisine and "real food". Yet, the US is a nutritional wasteland, empty calories, enormous portions, not enough fresh produce, far too much refined sugar, salt, and artificial ingredients. My area has fewer regional dishes - can't really think of anything in particular except coney dogs, named after Coney Island in New York but a Detroit area thing. - hot dog with onion, relish, and chili.

You may want some ski goggles or at least some clear safety glasses - frozen eyeballs are not fun.

Yup, pretty good. Very easy to make, too. Southern style pulled pork sandwiches often have cole slaw on top. In general, those are southern dishes which have spread in popularity due to cooking shows, the new emphasis on regional cuisine and "real food".
South, north, I dont care, I just want to eat it...
big-smile.png

Doesn't look that easy to make actually... You have to really slow roast the meat on a barbeque dont you? I was checking these slow roasting recipes and its something like 6 hours roasting in a low temperature... Maybe it's more of a restaurant thing...

No, you can make it in a slow cooker or oven, too. Just not smoked that way. If you ever come to Michigan, I'll take you out for some real American cuisine. Time to ride - air temp -2 F, windchill -13 F, clear sky.

No, you can make it in a slow cooker or oven, too. Just not smoked that way.

If you ever come to Michigan, I'll take you out for some real American cuisine.
I suspect that the smokey flavour makes all the difference... Maybe when seal-frying it, before roasting, you can let it get a bit more "very well done" but it will probably still taste better BBQ'd...

Deal...
wink.png
I applied for a job in Canada lately, who knows...
smile.png
Allthough if I ever come to the US I doubt I am gonna visit Detroit...
big-smile.png
I have this thing lately about cities with population more then 200,000.
big-smile.png

0.jpg

cole slaw
There are a number of variations in Greek mythology on the story of how humans acquired the gift of fire, but in my version when Prometheus stole fire as a gift for the humans, he exited through the kitchens of Mount Olympus and snagged the recipe for cole slaw on the way out. Anyone with two pieces of wood can make fire, but not everyone can make great slaw.

Well, I remember the kind of nasty 1970's version here, cabbage, carrot, green pepper, onion, which is fine. Dressing of Miracle Whip thinned with milk and some sugar added. Blech. Real mayo, pepper, salt, a little balsamic vinegar. Much better.

BTW, it was F-ing cold out there! 10 was all I could take. Bottle of water at room temp when input it in the cage had ice crystals 5 miles out.

Well, I remember the kind of nasty 1970's version here, cabbage, carrot, green pepper, onion, which is fine. Dressing of Miracle Whip thinned with milk and some sugar added. Blech. Real mayo, pepper, salt, a little balsamic vinegar. Much better.
You're on the right track, I cannot divulge my personal recipe but usually stick to the simple green or red cabbage variety without any extra veggies, though I will say I take the care to roll each leaf and cut it separately. Knife skills are essential or you'd still be cutting after the BBQ was done. IMO the quickest way to kill an entire batch is to not remove the stalk properly and use a mechanical slicer.

Btw, not as bad as you got it but 25F in Brooklyn today. Have you tried the insulated Polar Bottles?

I only mentioned the Polar bottle as it's the one I have experience with but you may want to stick with the CB... just found this user test: http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/archive/index.php/t-51086.html

In brief -
I started off by filling each bottle with an equal number of ice cubes. Then topped off each bottle with tap water. Temperature measurements were made with a digital probe kitchen thermometer after turning the bottle over a couple times to get a good mix of the water/ice.

Right off it doesn't take long for the water to reach ~34F. But having them sit in the house at 75F isn't going to tell me much, and will take too long. So right away I set them on the back porch, in the shade. Its a nice toasty ~96F today, made for a good test.

Observations:
- 60 minutes: opened the tops of each, lots of ice still visible in each.
- 90 minutes: still plenty of ice in the Camelbak bottle, visibly less in the Polar bottle, but still a fair amount.
- 120 minutes: Camelbak has a few bits of ice left, overall temp of 48F. The Polar has no ice, water temp of 58F.
- 150 minutes: Camelbak at 49F, Polar at 59F.
- 180 minutes: Camelbak at 60F, Polar at 72F.

It may be an actual backpack stye Camelback is the best option on a frozen day if one could eliminate the insulation barrier so body heat could keep the water from freezing. I haven't used one in decades but am thinking there's probably such a barrier in place to keep the water from getting warm during the summer for the same reason.

I have one of the Camelbak packs. Never ever wore it on a ride, as I usually wear a regular pack with supplies, and because where I live, I don't need to carry a lot of water, there is always some place open 24/7 within a few miles anywhere I ride in the metro area. I bought it to wear to group fitness classes, easier than keeping track of a water bottle as we move around the gym.

Originally Posted by danfoz
You're on the right track, I cannot divulge my personal recipe but usually stick to the simple green or red cabbage variety without any extra veggies, though I will say I take the care to roll each leaf and cut it separately. Knife skills are essential or you'd still be cutting after the BBQ was done. IMO the quickest way to kill an entire batch is to not remove the stalk properly and use a mechanical slicer.
Have you tried pickled cabbage on them? It might not be the most "correct" salad for these sandwiches but it might taste good.
smile.png

Btw if you like vinegar (which I dont't much) and dont want to eat mayo (I don't like mayo either
big-smile.png
) you can try to "cook" the cabbbage with just the vinegar.

If you chop the cabbage very thin and you mix it with the vinegar you can leave it to "cook" in the vinegar so it will be kinda softer as an alternative to pickled. Same thing works with courgettes.

Courgettes, aubergine, haricot vertes, petit pois, You have all of the fun names for food, This is going to turn into Danny's cooking thread here, but one thing I love now is roasted cauliflower, cooked until very brown and a little crisp. As a former fatty, I used to love French fries - this is a great substitute with far fewer calories. Just drizzle florets with a little oil, and into a 400 F oven for about 45 minutes.

Tomorrow AM low of 9°.

I am so NOT riding!

2" of fresh snow today another inch or two coming overnight.

Send the big slobbering mutt with brandy...winter is not ending this week.

I got the slobbering dog or I can fill on for him. Time to make some more turns.

This is going to turn into Danny's cooking thread here, but one thing I love now is roasted cauliflower, cooked until very brown and a little crisp. As a former fatty, I used to love French fries - this is a great substitute with far fewer calories. Just drizzle florets with a little oil, and into a 400 F oven for about 45 minutes.
+1
wink.png

They are also pretty good roasted with some cheese..
love.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .
Send the big slobbering mutt with brandy...winter is not ending this week.

Brandy?
big-smile.png

So how was the ride?

I was feeling a bit stir crazy myself and headed out for a 20 miler today. I did the ride the warmest part of the day, however. Still my ski goggles iced up on one side, my tang iced and my video camera battery froze up.

I've been a bit of a spin class hero the last few weeks, putting in up to 8 hours of spin a week. All that time, I thought I was doing well: my heart rate was peaking on the multitudes of intervals (tabata and such), I was sweating buckets and intimidating my classmates during sprints and "climbs". Well, being a spin class hero hasn't made me a monster on the road - I struggled to maintain a 15mph pace today.

There is a big difference between accelerating a 40-50 pound flywheel vs. a 230 pound rider plus lots of winter gear. It felt good to do some real biking nontheless.

Forecasts here look good for mid-week. They are predicting average February temperatures, 30's possibly.

Here is a vid of the ride. It is still uploading but will be available soon:

0.jpg