TOMRV prep on Rocket?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Seth Jayson, May 12, 2003.

  1. Seth Jayson

    Seth Jayson Guest

    OK, I'm planning to do TOMRV in a month or so.

    Question for those that may have done it, or live out that way, and are familiar with the Rocket.

    I know it's supposed to be hilly, but will I survive OK with the stock rings/cluster on my '02
    rocket? I've got a pretty good mileage base, and I'm in good shape otherwise, something of a
    spinner. I can handle long and not too steep. I just don't want to run out of gears.

    Sj

    Tags:

  2. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Seth Jayson wrote:

    > OK, I'm planning to do TOMRV in a month or so.
    >
    > Question for those that may have done it, or live out that way, and are familiar with the Rocket.
    >
    > I know it's supposed to be hilly, but will I survive OK with the stock rings/cluster on my '02
    > rocket? I've got a pretty good mileage base, and I'm in good shape otherwise, something of a
    > spinner. I can handle long and not too steep. I just don't want to run out of gears.

    Seth,

    Many of the lower volume roads that lead out of the river valley/floodplain up the bluffs have
    grades that may exceed 15%. Elevation gain on quite a few of these climbs may exceed 100 feet. As a
    minimum, I suggest a lowest gear that you can maintain a comfortable cadence in while climbing at
    5-mph. The stock Rocket gearing will be too high for most riders.

  3. Seth Jayson

    Seth Jayson Guest

    I suggest a lowest gear that you can maintain a comfortable
    > cadence in while climbing at 5-mph. The stock Rocket gearing will be too high for most riders.

    Well, maybe it's time to shop for a used 105 crankset, then. Better to have more gears left than run
    out on the low end. And I don't feel the need to spin that 62 on downhills. Or maybe just order a
    smaller bottom chainring for now?

    Guess I might as well pull that cheesey stock bottom bracket out while I'm down there too...