Tonight's dinner

serene

Guest
Looks a delicious dinner for the two of you! I love pork and
saurecraut.

Cheers Bronwyn
Oz

On 18 Mar 2006 18:25:38 -0800, "Bronwyn" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Looks a delicious dinner for the two of you! I love pork and
>saurecraut.

All three of us loved it. :) The others liked the barley more than I
did, but it was all pretty tasty.

Made kettle corn to watch videos with. I swear I feel like I've been
eating all day, and we haven't even gotten to the tiramisu yet. :)

serene

On Sat 18 Mar 2006 06:55:48p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it serene?

> Again, not the best photos (I usually wouldn't post them, because I
> don't think they're pretty, but I said I would -- I gotta stop that.
>:)
>
> The pork dish ingredients:
> http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejournal/pic/0003118f/g5
>
> The dish right out of the oven:
> http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejournal/pic/000327p7/g5
>
> Dinner on plate (should've made a salad or something, but my wife
> isn't really a salad person):
> http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejournal/pic/00033yzd/g5

Pork and Sauerkraut is one of my favorite dishes, and I make it whenever I
can afford to eat it. :)

The Barley Pilaf looks delicious! Can you post the actual recipe? I'd
really like to make it. I love different ways of using barley.

Thanks, Serene!

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

On 19 Mar 2006 04:23:20 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>The Barley Pilaf looks delicious! Can you post the actual recipe? I'd
>really like to make it. I love different ways of using barley.

Sure! This is similar to fried rice in that you basically add what you
like, but here's what I did tonight:

Barley Pilaf

For the barley:

1 cup hulled barley
3 cups water
1 tablespoon oil

For the pilaf:

1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium tomato, chopped
2 scallions, sliced
1 handful parsley, minced
1 head roasted garlic, or garlic powder to taste
salt to taste

Cook the barley with water and oil (I do it in the pressure-cooker for
40 minutes -- I did it this afternoon and kept it in the fridge until
ten minutes before dinner), or use 2-3 cups leftover barley. Saute
tomato in olive oil until it starts to get soft. Add scallions,
parsley, garlic, and salt, and stir until the parsley wilts. Add
barley. Heat and stir until heated through.

serene

On Sat 18 Mar 2006 08:42:47p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it serene?

> On 19 Mar 2006 04:23:20 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>The Barley Pilaf looks delicious! Can you post the actual recipe? I'd
>>really like to make it. I love different ways of using barley.

> Sure! This is similar to fried rice in that you basically add what you
> like, but here's what I did tonight:
>
> Barley Pilaf
>
> For the barley:
>
> 1 cup hulled barley
> 3 cups water
> 1 tablespoon oil
>
> For the pilaf:
>
> 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
> 1 medium tomato, chopped
> 2 scallions, sliced
> 1 handful parsley, minced
> 1 head roasted garlic, or garlic powder to taste
> salt to taste
>
> Cook the barley with water and oil (I do it in the pressure-cooker for
> 40 minutes -- I did it this afternoon and kept it in the fridge until
> ten minutes before dinner), or use 2-3 cups leftover barley. Saute
> tomato in olive oil until it starts to get soft. Add scallions,
> parsley, garlic, and salt, and stir until the parsley wilts. Add
> barley. Heat and stir until heated through.
>
> serene

Thanks, Serene. I will make this very soon. Barley is one of my favorite
grains.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o

BIOYA