Tonight's yummy vegetable

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by King's Crown, Dec 3, 2005.

  1. King's Crown

    King's Crown Guest

    I was trying to recreate something my mom use to make with canned green
    beans. I abhore green bean casserole and decided to try and make what she
    use to make with canned green beans and it turned out wonderful.

    2 cans green beans drained
    1 small onion cut in slices then halved
    2 cloves of garlic, minced
    5 pieces of thick cut bacon

    Brown bacon and set aside draining on paper towel. Drain pan of all but one
    T of bacon fat. Cook onion on low heat until soft and lightly browned. Add
    garlic and saute' with the onion. Stir in crumble bacon and drained green
    beans. Saute' just until green beans are warm and serve.

    Lynne

    Tags:

  2. On Sat 03 Dec 2005 10:53:09p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it King's
    Crown?

    > I was trying to recreate something my mom use to make with canned green
    > beans. I abhore green bean casserole and decided to try and make what
    > she use to make with canned green beans and it turned out wonderful.
    >
    > 2 cans green beans drained
    > 1 small onion cut in slices then halved
    > 2 cloves of garlic, minced
    > 5 pieces of thick cut bacon
    >
    > Brown bacon and set aside draining on paper towel. Drain pan of all but
    > one T of bacon fat. Cook onion on low heat until soft and lightly
    > browned. Add garlic and saute' with the onion. Stir in crumble bacon
    > and drained green beans. Saute' just until green beans are warm and
    > serve.
    >
    > Lynne

    That's a tasty dish. I make someething almost exactly like that, but I add
    about a teaspoon of granulated sugar and 2-3 teaspoons cider vinegar. Also
    a nice taste.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  3. Wayne replied to Lynne:

    >> I was trying to recreate something my mom use to make with canned green
    >> beans. I abhore green bean casserole and decided to try and make what
    >> she use to make with canned green beans and it turned out wonderful.
    >>
    >> 2 cans green beans drained
    >> 1 small onion cut in slices then halved
    >> 2 cloves of garlic, minced
    >> 5 pieces of thick cut bacon
    >>
    >> Brown bacon and set aside draining on paper towel. Drain pan of all but
    >> one T of bacon fat. Cook onion on low heat until soft and lightly
    >> browned. Add garlic and saute' with the onion. Stir in crumble bacon
    >> and drained green beans. Saute' just until green beans are warm and
    >> serve.
    >>
    >> Lynne

    > That's a tasty dish. I make someething almost exactly like that, but I
    > add about a teaspoon of granulated sugar and 2-3 teaspoons cider vinegar.
    > Also a nice taste.

    Interesting. Like a German potato salad using green beans instead of
    potatoes. I bet it would be good with sliced boiled potatoes added -- or to
    combine two threads, it would probably be good with boiled (or steamed)
    diced rutabaga.

    Bob

  4. On Sat 03 Dec 2005 11:42:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Bob
    Terwilliger?

    > Wayne replied to Lynne:
    >
    >>> I was trying to recreate something my mom use to make with canned
    >>> green beans. I abhore green bean casserole and decided to try and
    >>> make what she use to make with canned green beans and it turned out
    >>> wonderful.
    >>>
    >>> 2 cans green beans drained
    >>> 1 small onion cut in slices then halved
    >>> 2 cloves of garlic, minced
    >>> 5 pieces of thick cut bacon
    >>>
    >>> Brown bacon and set aside draining on paper towel. Drain pan of all
    >>> but one T of bacon fat. Cook onion on low heat until soft and lightly
    >>> browned. Add garlic and saute' with the onion. Stir in crumble bacon
    >>> and drained green beans. Saute' just until green beans are warm and
    >>> serve.
    >>>
    >>> Lynne

    >> That's a tasty dish. I make someething almost exactly like that, but I
    >> add about a teaspoon of granulated sugar and 2-3 teaspoons cider
    >> vinegar. Also a nice taste.

    > Interesting. Like a German potato salad using green beans instead of
    > potatoes. I bet it would be good with sliced boiled potatoes added --
    > or to combine two threads, it would probably be good with boiled (or
    > steamed) diced rutabaga.

    Yes, rather like that, Bob. As much as I love rutabaga, though, I think
    that might be a bit overpowering. Here's a red potato and green bean
    salad that I've made for years that is really delicious...

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Red Potato and Green Bean Salad

    Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Robb's Salads
    Vegetables

    2 1/2 lb New potatoes, scrubbed
    1 1/2 lb Green beans
    1/3 c Herb vinegar
    1/3 c Extra-virgin olive oil
    1/3 c Vegetable oil
    2 tb Granulated sugar
    1 t Paprika
    1/2 ts Salt
    1 Clove garlic
    1 t Coleman's dry mustard
    2 ts Caraway seeds, crushed
    3/4 ts Celery seeds
    1 c Walnut pieces
    1 Medium sweet red pepper
    6 Scallions (half green tops)
    1 Bunch parsley
    1/2 ts Black pepper, or to taste

    To prepare dressing, in blender container combine herb vinegar, olive
    oil,
    vegetable oil, granulated sugar, paprika, salt, garlic, dry mustard,
    caraway seeds, and celery seeds. Blend until well emulsified.

    Cut green beans on the diagonal in 1-1/2-inch pieces and cook in a large
    pot of boiling water until just tender-crisp. Refresh in cold water,
    drain
    and pat dry.

    Cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiling water until just tender when
    pierced with aknife, 12-15 minutes. Drain and pat dry. Allow the
    potatoes
    to cool slightly. Slice potatoes into 1/4-inch thick slices, drizzling a
    small amount of dressing over potato slices and tossing to coat as you
    slice.

    Add green beans to potato slices and toss to combine, drizzling a small
    amount of dressing to coat.

    Dice red pepper, chop scallions and parsley, and add with remaining
    ingredients and toss to combine, drizzling just enough additional
    dressing
    to evenly coat salad. Grind black pepper over salad to taste and lightly
    toss again. Taste and adjust seasonings.

    Salad is best if eaten the same day it is made - slightly warm or at
    room
    temperature - do not refrigerate! Leftovers should be refrigerated, but
    may
    be warmed slightly in the microwave before serving.

    NOTE: I use Soleillou Radiant Wine Herb Vinegar which contains white
    wine
    vinegar, cloves, thyme, rosemary, fennel, bay laurel leaves, basil, and
    marjoram. This is available from Balducci's, New York City.

    A reasonable substitute could probably be made by steeping these herbs
    in
    white wine vinegar for a few weeks before using.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  5. "King's Crown" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I was trying to recreate something my mom use to make with canned
    > green beans. I abhore green bean casserole and decided to try and
    > make what she use to make with canned green beans and it turned out
    > wonderful.
    >
    > 2 cans green beans drained
    > 1 small onion cut in slices then halved
    > 2 cloves of garlic, minced
    > 5 pieces of thick cut bacon
    >
    > Brown bacon and set aside draining on paper towel. Drain pan of all
    > but one T of bacon fat. Cook onion on low heat until soft and lightly
    > browned. Add garlic and saute' with the onion. Stir in crumble bacon
    > and drained green beans. Saute' just until green beans are warm and
    > serve.
    >
    > Lynne

    Lynne, I do about the same thing when fresh string beans are in season.
    Sometimes I'll use a ham hock instead of the bacon. Mmmmm... good.

    Michael

    --
    ....Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.

    All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber kitten. He
    now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the household and has the
    final say on what is, or is not, posted.
    Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

  6. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
    > "King's Crown" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> I was trying to recreate something my mom use to make with canned
    >> green beans. I abhore green bean casserole and decided to try and
    >> make what she use to make with canned green beans and it turned out
    >> wonderful.
    >>
    >> 2 cans green beans drained
    >> 1 small onion cut in slices then halved
    >> 2 cloves of garlic, minced
    >> 5 pieces of thick cut bacon
    >>
    >> Brown bacon and set aside draining on paper towel. Drain pan of all
    >> but one T of bacon fat. Cook onion on low heat until soft and
    >> lightly browned. Add garlic and saute' with the onion. Stir in
    >> crumble bacon and drained green beans. Saute' just until green
    >> beans are warm and serve.
    >>
    >> Lynne

    > Lynne, I do about the same thing when fresh string beans are in
    > season. Sometimes I'll use a ham hock instead of the bacon. Mmmmm...
    > good.
    >
    > Michael

    I'd be tempted to add sliced water chestnuts or bamboo shoots to this just
    to add some crunch :)

    Jill