Tonight's yummy vegetable

King's Crown

Guest
I was trying to recreate something my mom use to make with canned green
beans. I abhore green bean casserole and decided to try and make what she
use to make with canned green beans and it turned out wonderful.

2 cans green beans drained
1 small onion cut in slices then halved
2 cloves of garlic, minced
5 pieces of thick cut bacon

Brown bacon and set aside draining on paper towel. Drain pan of all but one
T of bacon fat. Cook onion on low heat until soft and lightly browned. Add
garlic and saute' with the onion. Stir in crumble bacon and drained green
beans. Saute' just until green beans are warm and serve.

Lynne

On Sat 03 Dec 2005 10:53:09p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it King's
Crown?

> I was trying to recreate something my mom use to make with canned green
> beans. I abhore green bean casserole and decided to try and make what
> she use to make with canned green beans and it turned out wonderful.
>
> 2 cans green beans drained
> 1 small onion cut in slices then halved
> 2 cloves of garlic, minced
> 5 pieces of thick cut bacon
>
> Brown bacon and set aside draining on paper towel. Drain pan of all but
> one T of bacon fat. Cook onion on low heat until soft and lightly
> browned. Add garlic and saute' with the onion. Stir in crumble bacon
> and drained green beans. Saute' just until green beans are warm and
> serve.
>
> Lynne

That's a tasty dish. I make someething almost exactly like that, but I add
about a teaspoon of granulated sugar and 2-3 teaspoons cider vinegar. Also
a nice taste.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Wayne replied to Lynne:

>> I was trying to recreate something my mom use to make with canned green
>> beans. I abhore green bean casserole and decided to try and make what
>> she use to make with canned green beans and it turned out wonderful.
>>
>> 2 cans green beans drained
>> 1 small onion cut in slices then halved
>> 2 cloves of garlic, minced
>> 5 pieces of thick cut bacon
>>
>> Brown bacon and set aside draining on paper towel. Drain pan of all but
>> one T of bacon fat. Cook onion on low heat until soft and lightly
>> browned. Add garlic and saute' with the onion. Stir in crumble bacon
>> and drained green beans. Saute' just until green beans are warm and
>> serve.
>>
>> Lynne

> That's a tasty dish. I make someething almost exactly like that, but I
> add about a teaspoon of granulated sugar and 2-3 teaspoons cider vinegar.
> Also a nice taste.

Interesting. Like a German potato salad using green beans instead of
potatoes. I bet it would be good with sliced boiled potatoes added -- or to
combine two threads, it would probably be good with boiled (or steamed)
diced rutabaga.

Bob

On Sat 03 Dec 2005 11:42:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Bob
Terwilliger?

> Wayne replied to Lynne:
>
>>> I was trying to recreate something my mom use to make with canned
>>> green beans. I abhore green bean casserole and decided to try and
>>> make what she use to make with canned green beans and it turned out
>>> wonderful.
>>>
>>> 2 cans green beans drained
>>> 1 small onion cut in slices then halved
>>> 2 cloves of garlic, minced
>>> 5 pieces of thick cut bacon
>>>
>>> Brown bacon and set aside draining on paper towel. Drain pan of all
>>> but one T of bacon fat. Cook onion on low heat until soft and lightly
>>> browned. Add garlic and saute' with the onion. Stir in crumble bacon
>>> and drained green beans. Saute' just until green beans are warm and
>>> serve.
>>>
>>> Lynne

>> That's a tasty dish. I make someething almost exactly like that, but I
>> add about a teaspoon of granulated sugar and 2-3 teaspoons cider
>> vinegar. Also a nice taste.

> Interesting. Like a German potato salad using green beans instead of
> potatoes. I bet it would be good with sliced boiled potatoes added --
> or to combine two threads, it would probably be good with boiled (or
> steamed) diced rutabaga.

Yes, rather like that, Bob. As much as I love rutabaga, though, I think
that might be a bit overpowering. Here's a red potato and green bean
salad that I've made for years that is really delicious...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Red Potato and Green Bean Salad

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Robb's Salads
Vegetables

2 1/2 lb New potatoes, scrubbed
1 1/2 lb Green beans
1/3 c Herb vinegar
1/3 c Extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 c Vegetable oil
2 tb Granulated sugar
1 t Paprika
1/2 ts Salt
1 Clove garlic
1 t Coleman's dry mustard
2 ts Caraway seeds, crushed
3/4 ts Celery seeds
1 c Walnut pieces
1 Medium sweet red pepper
6 Scallions (half green tops)
1 Bunch parsley
1/2 ts Black pepper, or to taste

To prepare dressing, in blender container combine herb vinegar, olive
oil,
vegetable oil, granulated sugar, paprika, salt, garlic, dry mustard,
caraway seeds, and celery seeds. Blend until well emulsified.

Cut green beans on the diagonal in 1-1/2-inch pieces and cook in a large
pot of boiling water until just tender-crisp. Refresh in cold water,
drain
and pat dry.

Cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiling water until just tender when
pierced with aknife, 12-15 minutes. Drain and pat dry. Allow the
potatoes
to cool slightly. Slice potatoes into 1/4-inch thick slices, drizzling a
small amount of dressing over potato slices and tossing to coat as you
slice.

Add green beans to potato slices and toss to combine, drizzling a small
amount of dressing to coat.

Dice red pepper, chop scallions and parsley, and add with remaining
ingredients and toss to combine, drizzling just enough additional
dressing
to evenly coat salad. Grind black pepper over salad to taste and lightly
toss again. Taste and adjust seasonings.

Salad is best if eaten the same day it is made - slightly warm or at
room
temperature - do not refrigerate! Leftovers should be refrigerated, but
may
be warmed slightly in the microwave before serving.

NOTE: I use Soleillou Radiant Wine Herb Vinegar which contains white
wine
vinegar, cloves, thyme, rosemary, fennel, bay laurel leaves, basil, and
marjoram. This is available from Balducci's, New York City.

A reasonable substitute could probably be made by steeping these herbs
in
white wine vinegar for a few weeks before using.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

"King's Crown" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I was trying to recreate something my mom use to make with canned
> green beans. I abhore green bean casserole and decided to try and
> make what she use to make with canned green beans and it turned out
> wonderful.
>
> 2 cans green beans drained
> 1 small onion cut in slices then halved
> 2 cloves of garlic, minced
> 5 pieces of thick cut bacon
>
> Brown bacon and set aside draining on paper towel. Drain pan of all
> but one T of bacon fat. Cook onion on low heat until soft and lightly
> browned. Add garlic and saute' with the onion. Stir in crumble bacon
> and drained green beans. Saute' just until green beans are warm and
> serve.
>
> Lynne

Lynne, I do about the same thing when fresh string beans are in season.
Sometimes I'll use a ham hock instead of the bacon. Mmmmm... good.

Michael

--
....Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.

All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber kitten. He
now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the household and has the
final say on what is, or is not, posted.
Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> "King's Crown" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
>> I was trying to recreate something my mom use to make with canned
>> green beans. I abhore green bean casserole and decided to try and
>> make what she use to make with canned green beans and it turned out
>> wonderful.
>>
>> 2 cans green beans drained
>> 1 small onion cut in slices then halved
>> 2 cloves of garlic, minced
>> 5 pieces of thick cut bacon
>>
>> Brown bacon and set aside draining on paper towel. Drain pan of all
>> but one T of bacon fat. Cook onion on low heat until soft and
>> lightly browned. Add garlic and saute' with the onion. Stir in
>> crumble bacon and drained green beans. Saute' just until green
>> beans are warm and serve.
>>
>> Lynne

> Lynne, I do about the same thing when fresh string beans are in
> season. Sometimes I'll use a ham hock instead of the bacon. Mmmmm...
> good.
>
> Michael

I'd be tempted to add sliced water chestnuts or bamboo shoots to this just
to add some crunch :)

Jill