too good to be true!

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by less'go, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Ratty

Ratty New Member

er, Waxing Twin, I'm right here. Any funny that you should only call me good looking when you've consumed alot (too much?) of beer. So am I a 1 beer, 2 beer or six-pack kinda guy. (i.e. how many you require before I reacquire my "good looks").

Getting waxed by the twins will be good for me. . . :D ;)

2. rollers

rollers New Member

Aren't we all like that after a few beers?

3. less'go

less'go New Member

Rollers, Ratty! it's been a spell. Where ya' been?

4. Telegram Sam

Telegram Sam New Member

I did not assert that there is no beer in heaven...Frank Yankovich (-the Cleveland Polka King...ask your parents who he is-they will know if you live in America) did. While I don't doubt that there must be beer in heaven- it is a great drinking song. It was determined long ago by a friend of mine who is a member of the clergy that my ticket has been stamped and I will be going straight to hell (where there is probably only something like O'Douls).
    Now- as for Tech- Being the portarait of maturity and sensibility you have presented yourself as (and perhaps been a little critical of those that aren't as chaste), I am sure you are going to heaven. Perhaps, you may find that consumption is in high order there (it sure is among preachers here)...but I caution you, continue your crusade against drunken behaviors. I here that when you pass out around angels, they write on you with permanent markers.

5. rollers

rollers New Member

Mostly on a bike, more or less. It's the end of the season here and I've had my fill for a bit. Time for less miles and more less.

6. TechJD

TechJD New Member

Well Sam it's not that I think I'm better than anyone else ( I'm not by far)
    it's just that it dont do me any good to get drunk
    1 it takes a lot
    2 I make a lot of trips the little boys room
    3 I still remember everything
    4 I dont get hangovers
    5 I end up short on cash

it adds up to I'm better off not gettin drunk lol

7. James Bruce Gil

James Bruce Gil New Member

What about all of us who were born a six pack below normal?

Besides, originally beer was brewed because water quality was poor and it was discovered that it wouldn't brew if the water was bad. On this basis when I travel I only drink beer. Often it is cheaper than bottled water. I even brush my teeth in it.

Kind regards,

8. DHinrichs

DHinrichs New Member

It has always been my assertion that people who don't like beer have only had American large label beer (yes, that means Budweiser etc..) There is GREAT diversity in the taste and if you will, texture of beer, go out and find it! For those sceptics I will make a few recommendations: Smithwicks -- a nice Irish ale, never met anyone who didn't like it but very hard to find in the States. New Castle Nut Brown Ale, very smooth, perhaps even sweet and mild flavored beer, but somewhat expensive. And my favorite lower cost beer to date: Point White beer (Stevens Point Brewery, WI) . A very under known and tasty beer that you can often find for under $5.00/six pack (of bottles). I almost have to hide these from my wife because her "tastes" end up to be half of the bottle/glass. And that is just the start of the list!

9. Telegram Sam

Telegram Sam New Member

Newcastle would be perfect...if they'd get the damn bottle right! You NEVER EVER bottle in clear glass (even if you are a 100+ year old brewery). Flourescent light changes the chemicals in the finish of beer and causes it to be "light struck" (a taste defect), or "skunky" (a Corona defect...ever wonder what caused that smell?). Anyway-it is a good beer, but would be better in brown bottles (and is on tap). Another good, little known, awesome beer is Shiner Bock out of Texas. This is nto a frilly micro with way to much hops, just a good Czech style with great flavor, excellent hops (Saaz, the same as in Pilsner Urquell which is considered perfect by many enthusiasts), and a light and refreshing flavor. Give it a shot-it is very inexpensive.

Tech- forgive me for thinking that "as usual you all missed the point" was a little preachy:) . Anyway, I think point four "I don't get hangovers" is an excuse to drink copiously, not an argument to not. Either way, it doesn't matter wether you drink or not...just wether you come onto a thread obviously loaded with those of us who prefer the taste of barley pop and make a staement like the afformentioned "as usual...". I just felt compelled to reciprocate with a blow of my own.
    Anyway-back to the point at hand. It is funny that it took us 9000 years to figure out what they new in Mesopotamia...oh well:( .

10. James Bruce Gil

I have to agree with your sentiment on Czech beer. The Czech Budweiser is the original Bud and is actually beer. I can't say I like the North American version though. Have you had a go at the Australian quality ones? Crown, Boag's Premium or Cascade Premium lager? Forget Fosters & VB. Now you can feel them doing you good!

Kind regards,

11. TechJD

TechJD New Member

ok :) but I couldnt resist responding as this has been one of the most civil threads
    anyway back to it
    seems to take us a long time figure out a lot of things know back then

12. less'go

less'go New Member

Telegram, James, Hinrichs, I see we have assembled an excellent and knowledgeable panel here... Excellent points about the diversity of beer,those who have only tasted an American Bud or a Coors or, God forbid, a Low-Carb Michelob Light :eek: may have no idea about what real beer tastes like... A Sam Adams, or one of the Belgian Trappist Beers (Leffe being a favorite), or A Czeckie Budweiser...

And Sam, How pleasantly surprised I am to hear someone mention the noble Shiner Bock, a no frills, earnest and inexpensive beer from my home state. Whenever I go home, that's my domestic beer of preference, especially since the Cellis Brewery closed (or did it open again?). Anyone have the skinny?

Cellis made (makes?) some of the best U.S. Belgian-style brews I've ever tasted, including their white beer. Great with a wedge of lemon.

Some people may well only drink beer to get drunk, so maybe they don't mind drinking pipi-water beer ;)

O'Douls in hell... hahahahahhahaha, roflmao...

13. less'go

less'go New Member

I hate to alarm any of you, but I have the distinct impression that some sort of global re-evaluation of membership status has taken place at Cycling Forums Dot Com.

Many of us (you know who you are) used to have "Senior Member" marked underneath our forum names. And now we have been demoted to simple "registered users"!

Were there complaints that "Senior Member" sounded like a reference to our advanced ages, and not to the quality and quantity of our posts? Have we been slighted?

The only one I've seen so far who seems to have gained from the situation is Rollers... He is now a "Distinguished Member". Who'd you have to pay there, Pal?

Have we been demoted? Perhaps for the likes of threads like these... :eek:

14. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I guess I am just glad I am not listed as a registered mis-user.

15. rollers

rollers New Member

Interesting.... Probably has more to do with my age than anything else.

16. eric_the_red

eric_the_red New Member

Are you still considered a 'registered user' if you don't inhale.

17. James Bruce Gil

Interesting that: I used to be a "Senior Member" and probably at 57 that's a fair way to describe me. Being a "registered user" sort of reminds me of working in Saudi Arabia a number of years ago when as an expat you had to register as an alcohol user to be able to purchase beer. One of my friends thought he could survive the 18 month contract period without registering and used to bite me for some every now and again.

However when the expats had a party, (about once a month), there was always a shortage, which we overcame by brewing our own wine. This went well for several months, we used to go to the supermarket buy grape juice, sugar and yeast, mix it all up in a plastic tub cover it with sheet and put it under the bed for about 10 days. Once the yeast activity died away we used to put it back into the bottles leave it a couple of days (aged in glass) and although it was still quite green, it was a long way ahead of softdrink, tea and coffee. This went well for several months.

Then Les (the fellow who thought he could do without) went to the super market one day to get his ingredients. So as not to be too obvious he just bought the yeast and grape juice and as he was going out the checkout, the arabic chap said "Sir, you will sugar for your wine".

Obviously, despite the prohibition, the locals knew something that we didn't!

Kind regards,

18. rollers

rollers New Member

First, thanks for a great story and a really good laugh.
    Second, therein lies a particularly valuable nugget. People are just people like you and me no matter where you go.

19. Telegram Sam

Telegram Sam New Member

Yeah- my wife is a Tejana...a Czech from Westhoff (where they are all Czech...and all related...) It goes without saying that we drink Shiner and listen to Robert Earle Keen Jr. in this house. She even slapped a "Don't mess" sticker on my 65 Falcon...I shuddered at first, and the neighbors do talk, but it has grown on me
    Cheers
    Telegram Sam

20. Ratty

Ratty New Member

my legs felt like they were filled with beer this morning, and not the lite stuff mind you, the real heavy frothy stuff.

Had to think of Ms Less Go to keep the pedals turning. (Ahhh, bliss.)

I'm here in between rides my dear, but have taken more of a lurker role for the time being. Just checking who you've been enticing with your wicked charm. . .

I see you're now using beer. Evil, evil.