too good to be true!

jhuskey said:
No, Actually living beyond your life expectancy will kill you. Air is fatal but only if taken in small amounts for a long period of time.
Let's face it the end will come and there is not a damn thing we can do to stop it.....so enjoy, but find a balance.
Even extreme exercise will shorten your life so do not deny yourself simple pleasures but "you don't got to go crazy".
Find your balance,a couple of beers will not shorten your life.
Worrying about the fact that someone else is having a couple of beers WILL!!

Well said JH.....a question of balance and enjoy the journey.

That said a steaming cup of coffee this morning sitting in the early morning sunshine streaming in over me and the new issue of Procycling was awesome. Off to ride now.

Take care all, ride safe and have fun!

ianf said:
You don't need science - just common sense
Care to explain? What's the broadly accepted, understood feature of, say, green tea, which makes it an unhealthy beverage?

lokstah said:
Care to explain? What's the broadly accepted, understood feature of, say, green tea, which makes it an unhealthy beverage?
I am not a nutritionist or a scientist. But I am a victim of the nutritionist's approach. It is only when my naturopath in Denver switched me from eating anything to the blood group diet.
In my case it has moved me from IBS and CFS to a fit 56-year old cycling athlete who trains 7/7 and rides 40k tts in 1 hour flat. 3 months before changing my eating habits walking up one flight of stairs was a 15-minute painful task.
I have suggested this approach to a number of other people all of whom have seen similar benefits.
An unscientific answer but one that is based firmly in practice.
Eat Right for Your Type, Dr Peter d'Adamo
Order it from Amazon
*Green tea is exceptionally beneficial for the O blood group type.

ianf said:
I am not a nutritionist or a scientist. But I am a victim of the nutritionist's approach. It is only when my naturopath in Denver switched me from eating anything to the blood group diet.
In my case it has moved me from IBS and CFS to a fit 56-year old cycling athlete who trains 7/7 and rides 40k tts in 1 hour flat. 3 months before changing my eating habits walking up one flight of stairs was a 15-minute painful task.
I have suggested this approach to a number of other people all of whom have seen similar benefits.
Order it from Amazon
Well, ok; not sure if there was an answer there. In any case, the point I was trying to make was that teas, coffees, and even alcoholic beverages are complex enough substances that some--not all--contain beneficial substances in degrees. They have their downsides, too, also in degrees.

For teas and coffees, the notable downside is caffeine. As a stimulant and a mild diuretic, your average person needs to keep an eye on their intake... not too hard. Coffee contains moderate amounts. Most black teas contain fairly little, and most green teas contain extremely low levels of caffeine. Teas made from other plants with similar properties, like redbush or rooibos, contain none. In varying degrees, many teas and even some coffees are loaded with healthy ****. Rooibos teas tend to sport potassium, zinc, iron and magnesium, along with olaxic acid and generally high anti-oxidant levels. Green and black teas contain folic acids, naturally occuring flouride, and high anti-oxidant levels as well.

Spend about 3 seconds browsing the web and you'll find volumes of reputable sources. You'd be hard-pressed to find many complaining about the dangers of tea.

Coffee's higher levels of caffeine make it less easy to pass off as a friggin' health tonic, but it's worth pointing out that as a roasted-bean tea, it's fairly high in good plant compounds as well. The anti-oxidant activity levels go down with progressively darker roasts, but the content is present. There are numerous studies linking coffee drinking to the prevention of liver cirrhosis, and even more identifying lower instances of colon cancer in coffee drinkers.

Again, it's not medicine, but it's far from "horrible" for you, unless you have a particular sensitivity to moderate caffeine levels.

Beer? There's a whole thread about beer, above. It's brewed from vegetable compounds and derrives some good stuff from that process, but of course, you've got alcohol to contend with: a slightly poisonous, diuretic depressant.

That is, a slightly poisonous, diuretic depressant which I don't mind tossing down my hatch from time to time, in careful moderation. If drinking in moderation--maybe one to three drinks a week--is shown to be largely harmless, and maybe (like coffee or tea) conveying of some subtle health benefits, I'll continue to do it because I like the stuff. It's tasty.

I'm sure you're right that different blood and body types can benefit from different dietary guidelines, so thanks for bringing that up.

ianf said:
Order it from Amazon

Yeah...I heard about that "diet" as well. It is probably true that some foods do suit individuals differently but is is kinda simplistic to lump all coffees, teas and beers as garbage.

Not to be argumentitive but there are some antibiotics that I am allergic too but that doesn`t mean I consider them all bad for me.....lol. ;)

To each his own and moderation is the key. Glad you have found something that works for you. BTW - I will check out the book....i`m kinda curious now.

jhuskey said:
It should be just about time for Gil to make a triumphant return ..but where is Less.
By the way any other attire go with the slippers? I need the info to complete my fantacized vision.

Huskey,

I am back; Minus half my gut but I'm still going and triumphant non the less. I note that if I drink more than 8 Crown Lagers my belly hurts. When I first left hospital five weeks ago, 4 made me sore.

As to what complements slippers; In hospital I wore as little or as much as I liked as I was just shuffling from the bed to the bathroom and back.

My next goal is 12 Crown lagers, then 16, and finally 24. I feel thats a fair benchmark for somebody my age.

And the bad news for Ratty and the Gillette sisters is that for several weeks I had not a single hair on my chest and abdomen at all. :)

Kind regards,

How disgusting. Why would anyone in their right mind want to drink lagers?

James Bruce Gil said:
Huskey,

I am back; Minus half my gut but I'm still going and triumphant non the less. I note that if I drink more than 8 Crown Lagers my belly hurts. When I first left hospital five weeks ago, 4 made me sore.

As to what complements slippers; In hospital I wore as little or as much as I liked as I was just shuffling from the bed to the bathroom and back.

My next goal is 12 Crown lagers, then 16, and finally 24. I feel thats a fair benchmark for somebody my age.

And the bad news for Ratty and the Gillette sisters is that for several weeks I had not a single hair on my chest and abdomen at all. :)

Kind regards,

I just about to check the Sydney "Obits". Hope you came through in good shape.
You have a lot of catching up to do.

jhuskey said:
I just about to check the Sydney "Obits". Hope you came through in good shape.
You have a lot of catching up to do.

Huskey,

Your right about the catching up. I seem to be taking 5-10 minutes longer on my rides. One plus is that I seem to creap up on the lady cyclists more slowly and while I never really saw my self as a person who appreciated bringing up the rear so to speak, that particular view seems to appeal more as I grow older. I am not sure whether my slowing is caused by lack of fitness or the motivation to appreciate the aesthetics of our lady cyclists. :)

Susan Repp's comment about 5 seconds surveying the general area strikes a chord only it takes me a little longer to switch focus these days.

IanF, this thread was about the appreciation of the finer things in life of which beer of any type is pivotal. Either accept that lager is a style of beer which is to be appreciated or move on to the other thread that is debating the merits of the various types.

And yes the young, and not so young lions of St Sara d'Beers do include lagers.

Kind regards,

James Bruce Gil said:
Huskey,

Your right about the catching up. I seem to be taking 5-10 minutes longer on my rides. One plus is that I seem to creap up on the lady cyclists more slowly and while I never really saw my self as a person who appreciated bringing up the rear so to speak, that particular view seems to appeal more as I grow older. I am not sure whether my slowing is caused by lack of fitness or the motivation to appreciate the aesthetics of our lady cyclists. :)

Susan Repp's comment about 5 seconds surveying the general area strikes a chord only it takes me a little longer to switch focus these days.

IanF, this thread was about the appreciation of the finer things in life of which beer of any type is pivotal. Either accept that lager is a style of beer which is to be appreciated or move on to the other thread that is debating the merits of the various types.

And yes the young, and not so young lions of St Sara d'Beers do include lagers.

Kind regards,

Yes, the finer things and how our perspective of those things change with time.
Time itself is a finer thing and should be most appreciated because it is non-renewable and most precious.
Speaking of rear did you ever notice that some ladies Lyca is practically see-through from the rear if the sunlight hits it just right.
Yes, bringing up the rear and the finer things.
It's all in the balance.

jhuskey said:
Time itself is a finer thing and should be most appreciated because it is non-renewable and most precious.
Speaking of rear did you ever notice that some ladies Lyca is practically see-through from the rear if the sunlight hits it just right.
It's all in the balance.

Huskey,

Yes I had noticed that Lycra is a little transparent when the light is just right, though only recently since I have become a regular back straggler.

Time is very important and is definately one of the finer things; Without time how would we able to enjoy the lingering taste of a beer or enjoy & savour the gentle afterglow of a torrid dalliance.

Kind regards,

James Bruce Gil said:
Huskey,

Yes I had noticed that Lycra is a little transparent when the light is just right, though only recently since I have become a regular back straggler.

Time is very important and is definately one of the finer things; Without time how would we able to enjoy the lingering taste of a beer or enjoy & savour the gentle afterglow of a torrid dalliance.

Kind regards,

I will catch you up on the story of the pooch that showed up back in November sometime. It is a slightly different story and might make a good movie plot.
I'll catch you back in the morning,my morning that is, I used the weed eater on the front forty after work so it will look good for our get-together and then accompanied the wife through the steeps on the MTB.
I am whipped. Very glad you are back in action!

jhuskey said:
It's all in the balance.
I guess I see the consumption of large quantities of beer counter productive to cycling for fitness. To me I associate lager with fat bellies, yob culture and all that is bad about British town centres on Friday and Saturday evenings. Appreciating the finer things in life is not about seeing how much of this liquid you can drink in one evening.
Give me a great bottle of Felix Vassa or Chateau Marguax to share with my friends any time!
As for ladies' bums: I only have eyes for my gorgeous Thai partner!

ianf said:
I guess I see the consumption of large quantities of beer counter productive to cycling for fitness. To me I associate lager with fat bellies, yob culture and all that is bad about British town centres on Friday and Saturday evenings. Appreciating the finer things in life is not about seeing how much of this liquid you can drink in one evening.
Give me a great bottle of Felix Vassa or Chateau Marguax to share with my friends any time!
As for ladies' bums: I only have eyes for my gorgeous Thai partner!

Yes I am referring to my lovely wife. I let her set the pace when I ride with her. She claims it is so I watch her butt and I agree the large consumption of anything will diminish your abilities.Alcohol,food whatever

jhuskey said:
Yes I am referring to my lovely wife. I let her set the pace when I ride with her. She claims it is so I watch her butt and I agree the large consumption of anything will diminish your abilities.Alcohol,food whatever

Huskey,

You don't have to be apologetic for admiring the feminine form. Appreciation of it is indeed one of the finer things.

Whats all this about large consumption? I was talking about Lager consumption.

In Australia we believe that some times, too much of a good thing is barely enough!

IanF,

Who says 24 Crown Lagers is excessive? At the weekend, at a family get together, if you drink 8 bitween 1 PM & 3 PM, 7 between 3PM & 5 PM, 5 between 5 PM & 7 PM, and 4 after that it is quite manageable. Providing you dont drink any more than say two glasses of red wine with dinner and perhaps a port or two after dinner it is in fact quite moderate. It is not binge drinking in my view.

People swilling beer around the streets often seem to also consume the readily available junk food in concert with it.

Alcohol is not fattening in its self, its the rubbish that people eat along with it. Just think of the severe alcoholics you know, how many of them are actually fat? Most the ones I know are all skin and bone.

I also have bad news for you, (I am guessing is a little younger than me); As you grow older your libido declines, but simultaneously you will become less discriminating in your tastes generally and less adament in you views. I am guessing that in a few years time, if your partner was to place a cold bottle of Singha in front of you, you will utter "Cawp Kun Kha" if thats the spelling and you will enjoy it like it is intended to be enjoyed.

Kind regards,

James Bruce Gil said:
Huskey,

You don't have to be apologetic for admiring the feminine form. Appreciation of it is indeed one of the finer things.

Whats all this about large consumption? I was talking about Lager consumption.

In Australia we believe that some times, too much of a good thing is barely enough!

IanF,

Who says 24 Crown Lagers is excessive? At the weekend, at a family get together, if you drink 8 bitween 1 PM & 3 PM, 7 between 3PM & 5 PM, 5 between 5 PM & 7 PM, and 4 after that it is quite manageable. Providing you dont drink any more than say two glasses of red wine with dinner and perhaps a port or two after dinner it is in fact quite moderate. It is not binge drinking in my view.

People swilling beer around the streets often seem to also consume the readily available junk food in concert with it.

Alcohol is not fattening in its self, its the rubbish that people eat along with it. Just think of the severe alcoholics you know, how many of them are actually fat? Most the ones I know are all skin and bone.

I also have bad news for you, (I am guessing is a little younger than me); As you grow older your libido declines, but simultaneously you will become less discriminating in your tastes generally and less adament in you views. I am guessing that in a few years time, if your partner was to place a cold bottle of Singha in front of you, you will utter "Cawp Kun Kha" if thats the spelling and you will enjoy it like it is intended to be enjoyed.

Kind regards,

No it's not an apology, she is just the only female I have been following closely.
As far as too much to drink. As I have said before the person that has a problem is one who has one more than you, besides you and I are past all that hardcore competitive ****.
I enjoy a little comfort and a little sport. I have ran the "Gauntlet" so it is my turn to lay back just a little.
I still enjoy the challenge, I still have a little **** left in me.

jhuskey said:
No it's not an apology, she is just the only female I have been following closely.
As far as too much to drink. As I have said before the person that has a problem is one who has one more than you, besides you and I are past all that hardcore competitive ****.
I enjoy a little comfort and a little sport. I have ran the "Gauntlet" so it is my turn to lay back just a little.
I still enjoy the challenge, I still have a little **** left in me.

Huskey,

I remember many years ago going into a pub and on seeing another customer, thinking that that fellow is in here all the time. Funny that at the time, it didn't occur to me, that he could have been validly thinking exactly the same thing!

In Australia there is a saying that "You can't drink too much, because you collapse before you reach that point".

I still reckon that fellow who was deriding the virtues of beer, has yet to reach the stage in life where it occurs to him that in many situations it is the only answer. After all it is a huge problem that a couple of cases of beer can't take you away from for a while at least. I think it was Winston Churchill who made the observation that "A problem delayed is a problem half solved". (Pity about the soldiers at the front). He apparently enjoyed a heart-starter early in the morning, though admittedly it wasn't beer.

IanF,

I have been puzzling about what is so different about the boyos enjoying the fellowship of a few largers around the pubs & you enjoying the fellowship of a fine wine in the privacy of you own home with friends? It seems to me that the only difference is the extent of the social gathering. You really should go to Octoberfest in Munich; Everybody is friendly!!

Another thing that somebody may be able to shead some light on; I have long concerned my self with why its respectable to enjoy fine wine by the swimming pool, but not so respectable to enjoy a few beers by the river bank?

I've done both and it doesn't seem all that different to me.

Kind regards,

James Bruce Gil said:
Huskey,

I remember many years ago going into a pub and on seeing another customer, thinking that that fellow is in here all the time. Funny that at the time, it didn't occur to me, that he could have been validly thinking exactly the same thing!

In Australia there is a saying that "You can't drink too much, because you collapse before you reach that point".

I still reckon that fellow who was deriding the virtues of beer, has yet to reach the stage in life where it occurs to him that in many situations it is the only answer. After all it is a huge problem that a couple of cases of beer can't take you away from for a while at least. I think it was Winston Churchill who made the observation that "A problem delayed is a problem half solved". (Pity about the soldiers at the front). He apparently enjoyed a heart-starter early in the morning, though admittedly it wasn't beer.

IanF,

I have been puzzling about what is so different about the boyos enjoying the fellowship of a few largers around the pubs & you enjoying the fellowship of a fine wine in the privacy of you own home with friends? It seems to me that the only difference is the extent of the social gathering. You really should go to Octoberfest in Munich; Everybody is friendly!!

Another thing that somebody may be able to shead some light on; I have long concerned my self with why its respectable to enjoy fine wine by the swimming pool, but not so respectable to enjoy a few beers by the river bank?

I've done both and it doesn't seem all that different to me.

Kind regards,

Put a fishing pole in your hands on the river bank and people will think look at that guy enjoying a relaxing day of fishing.
Take away the fishing pole and keep that beer and they think look at that redneck drunk. He should stay home and do that.
Moral: Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will sit in a bassboat and drink all day.

jhuskey said:
Put a fishing pole in your hands on the river bank and people will think look at that guy enjoying a relaxing day of fishing.
Take away the fishing pole and keep that beer and they think look at that redneck drunk. He should stay home and do that.
Moral: Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will sit in a bassboat and drink all day.

Huskey,

In St Sara's consumption of beer will be allowable amywhere, any time. If we can convince IanF that a few beers is OK, then we might even allow him to bring his partner along to immigrate, (that is provided she can cook good Thai food and he learns to like Singha and he won't find the rest of us too distastful).

We will still allow him to drink wine once a week. What do you think? In Sara's absence I think that you and I constitute a sufficient cabal who could make that decision in her stead. :p

I like your one about the bass boat, my wife referes to my crown lager as bottles of bait some times. I'm not sure whether she means it attracts me or she has noticed that I always take it when I go fishing. :confused:

Kind regards,