Too good to be true

"D.M. Procida" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
news:1i6cjkn.x6p9dx1js4s9kN%[email protected]...
> What a great bike!
>
> <http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BIANCHI-SAN-LORENZO_W0QQitemZ220161872864QQihZ012
> QQcategoryZ33503QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>
>
> It's in Blackpool, according to the seller.
>
> But how strange. According to:
>
> <http://bianchi.com/community/forums/permalink/2355/1722/ShowThread.aspx
> #1722>
>
> it's not!

Yeah, well spotted. All the signs are there of course. 0 feedback, new
seller. Doesn't take PayPal - free delivery. Phone number, will call back.
Does morgages (sic). I'd have thought that someone who "does" mortgages from
home would at least be capable of spelling the word.......

Funny thing is: Just occasionally these clowns are genuine. I got a serious
bargain for a few quid on an item which - had it not been posted under such
suspicious circmstances - would have raised over a hundred. I know because I
sold it on for 135. Not a bad gamble at all.

£300 however is a lot of money to throw away.

Rob

D.M. Procida wrote:
> What a great bike!
>
> <http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BIANCHI-SAN-LORENZO_W0QQitemZ220161872864QQihZ012
> QQcategoryZ33503QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>
>
> It's in Blackpool, according to the seller.
>
> But how strange. According to:
>
> <http://bianchi.com/community/forums/permalink/2355/1722/ShowThread.aspx
> #1722>
>
> it's not!
>
> Shame, I'd have liked to get a $3500 bike for £300.

Two non-geo phone numbers which could be anywhere in the world and you
can't collect even if you live in Blackpool. Nice.

"D.M. Procida" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
news:1i6cn4b.wxrfiwqjauf1N%[email protected]...
> Paul Boyd <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> > <http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BIANCHI-SAN-LORENZO_W0QQitemZ220161872864QQihZ012
>> > QQcategoryZ33503QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>

>> www.tinyurl.co.uk is made for just that sort of link :)
>>
>> But yes, there's some alarm bells ringing loudly there. Not loud enough
>> for one bidder though!

> And the bidder's identity is hidden so I can't warn them.
>
> I'm tempted to put a ludicrously high bid on.

Did you do so?

If not the winner's ID is available to be warned before they make
payment.....

Rob

RobDee <[email protected]> wrote:

> > And the bidder's identity is hidden so I can't warn them.
> >
> > I'm tempted to put a ludicrously high bid on.

> Did you do so?
>
> If not the winner's ID is available to be warned before they make
> payment.....

I did the latter, but eBay helpfully says that "sometimes" such messages
are blocked, presumablty without warning.

Daniele

In article <[email protected]>, Paul Boyd
[email protected]lid says...
> On 21/10/2007 18:36, D.M. Procida said,
>
> > <http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BIANCHI-SAN-LORENZO_W0QQitemZ220161872864QQihZ012
> > QQcategoryZ33503QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>

> www.tinyurl.co.uk is made for just that sort of link :)

No need - eBay listings fit on a single line:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220161872864

> But yes, there's some alarm bells ringing loudly there. Not loud enough
> for one bidder though!

I see a splendid fellow called jizz-mopper has won. :)

"D.M. Procida" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
news:1i6cjkn.x6p9dx1js4s9kN%[email protected]...
> What a great bike!
>
> <http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BIANCHI-SAN-LORENZO_W0QQitemZ220161872864QQihZ012
> QQcategoryZ33503QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>
>
> It's in Blackpool, according to the seller.
>
> But how strange. According to:
>
> <http://bianchi.com/community/forums/permalink/2355/1722/ShowThread.aspx
> #1722>
>
> it's not!
>
> Shame, I'd have liked to get a $3500 bike for £300.
>
> Daniele

There was an article in today's Times (Sunday) about ebay scams. I only
bought it for the Ray Davies CD, honest! I only read part of it, but it
seems to follow what you say: ridiculously cheap goods, wants cash, no land
phone.

D.M. Procida said the following on 21/10/2007 19:51:

> And the bidder's identity is hidden so I can't warn them.

Technically, if you did that you would be guilty of "auction
interference" and could possibly be suspended for a while. I'm not even
sure if you would have been able to report that auction for anything
specific, quite apart from the fact that even if eBay decided there was
something wrong they take longer than most auctions run to do anything
about it! The cynic in me thinks that they're more interested in the
listing fees than protecting people.

Incidentally, because this is a "collection only" item, not taking
Paypal is sensible. If a buyer makes a claim for non-delivery when
paying by Paypal and the seller can't prove receipt, then the buyer will
get a refund from you. Full stop. A buyer who collects can't get
satisfactory proof (in Paypal's view) of receipt. Signed-for delivery
is for the seller's protection, not the buyer's, despite what some
listings say!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Paul Boyd <usenet.is.worse@plusnet> wrote:

> > And the bidder's identity is hidden so I can't warn them.

> Technically, if you did that you would be guilty of "auction
> interference" and could possibly be suspended for a while. I'm not even
> sure if you would have been able to report that auction for anything
> specific, quite apart from the fact that even if eBay decided there was
> something wrong they take longer than most auctions run to do anything
> about it! The cynic in me thinks that they're more interested in the
> listing fees than protecting people.
>
> Incidentally, because this is a "collection only" item, not taking
> Paypal is sensible.

It wasn't collection only. Collection wasn't an option.

Daniele

In message <[email protected]>, Rob Morley
<[email protected]> writes
>In article <[email protected]>, Paul Boyd
>[email protected] says...
>> On 21/10/2007 18:36, D.M. Procida said,
>>
>> > <http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BIANCHI-SAN-LORENZO_W0QQitemZ220161872864QQihZ012
>> > QQcategoryZ33503QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>

>> www.tinyurl.co.uk is made for just that sort of link :)

>No need - eBay listings fit on a single line:
>http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220161872864

Or use a decent newsreader that understands the < > delimiters and will
extract the full url from the post even if it wraps.

--
Chris French

"D.M. Procida" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
news:1i6cjkn.x6p9dx1js4s9kN%[email protected]...
> What a great bike!
>
> <http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BIANCHI-SAN-LORENZO_W0QQitemZ220161872864QQihZ012
> QQcategoryZ33503QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>
>
> It's in Blackpool, according to the seller.
>
> But how strange. According to:
>
> <http://bianchi.com/community/forums/permalink/2355/1722/ShowThread.aspx
> #1722>
>
> it's not!
>
> Shame, I'd have liked to get a $3500 bike for £300.
>
> Daniele

What says it's in Blackpool? The seller info says Essex.

David Lloyd

David Lloyd <[email protected]> wrote:

> > <http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BIANCHI-SAN-LORENZO_W0QQitemZ220161872864QQihZ012
> > QQcategoryZ33503QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>
> >
> > It's in Blackpool, according to the seller.
> >
> > But how strange. According to:
> >
> > <http://bianchi.com/community/forums/permalink/2355/1722/ShowThread.aspx
> > #1722>
> >
> > it's not!
> >
> > Shame, I'd have liked to get a $3500 bike for £300.

> What says it's in Blackpool? The seller info says Essex.

The seller said so. In Blackpool, in her uncle's garage. Her cousin
would send it, but no, it wasn't possible to collect it. No, she didn't
know anything about it. No, she didn't know why the pictures of the bike
were pictures which were taken in San Francisco.

Daniele

D.M. Procida said the following on 22/10/2007 22:51:

> The seller said so. In Blackpool, in her uncle's garage.

One more tick against here - misrepresenting the item location! I
really hope the winner doesn't send off any money - the whole listing
screams "run a mile".

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/