Too hot to train...

FatRoadie

Feb 8, 2003
I went out for a ride this evening before the sun had gone down...and man was it HOT.... Usually when I ride I wait til the sun has crested under...however I noticed tonight...that based on it still being out.....my performance seemed off.....

I realize there are actually several races like the "Hotter than Hell 100" in Texas, and that the Aussie riders see some pretty intense heat.....

Are there actually circumstances when the Heat/humidity actually work against and are detrimental to training?

Here in SE Louisiana......the humidity often outclimbs the heat....both are usually off the charts....in the summer...

Thanks,

Bruce

Yes, poor acclimatisation to heat and humidity is a real problem for athletes. Just think about the British guys going to Athens next year, they will spend lots of time in environmental chambers trying to adapt to the heat and humidity!

Originally posted by FatRoadie
I went out for a ride this evening before the sun had gone down...and man was it HOT.... Usually when I ride I wait til the sun has crested under...however I noticed tonight...that based on it still being out.....my performance seemed off.....

I realize there are actually several races like the "Hotter than Hell 100" in Texas, and that the Aussie riders see some pretty intense heat.....

Are there actually circumstances when the Heat/humidity actually work against and are detrimental to training?

Here in SE Louisiana......the humidity often outclimbs the heat....both are usually off the charts....in the summer...

Thanks,

Bruce

In well trained, lean athletes, intense heat (which will be relative to an individual) cam impair performance by ~ 10%.

The high humidity lowers the effectiveness of sweating as evaporation is compromised

ric

Originally posted by 2LAP
Yes, poor acclimatisation to heat and humidity is a real problem for athletes. Just think about the British guys going to Athens next year, they will spend lots of time in environmental chambers trying to adapt to the heat and humidity!

for the atlanta games (i think), i recall that the yvonne mcgregor had to train in her bathroom on the turbo trainer with a hot bath running and all windows and doors shut to simulate the heat and humidity she'd have to encounter

ric

Originally posted by ricstern
for the atlanta games (i think), i recall that the yvonne mcgregor had to train in her bathroom on the turbo trainer with a hot bath running and all windows and doors shut to simulate the heat and humidity she'd have to encounter

ric

Heard the same and I don't think things had moved on for the 1998 Commonwealth games! On the BC site it said that there was an environmental chamber at the track that some riders had used (think they are using a hospitality suit at the drome!).

Out here in Arizona the high heat is a definite challenge. While the humidity is generally moderate, during the "monsoon season" in July through September, the humidity rises sharply which makes sweating far less effective as a cooling mechanism.
Good hydration is crucial and most of us will ride as early as possible in the morning to avoid the worst of the heat.
On the other side of the coin, though, the winter riding out here is a joy!

Originally posted by 2LAP

The British pursuit team don't need chambers, they just need a rocket behind them. Go Aus!:D

Originally posted by serottarider
Out here in Arizona the high heat is a definite challenge. While the humidity is generally moderate, during the "monsoon season" in July through September, the humidity rises sharply which makes sweating far less effective as a cooling mechanism.
Good hydration is crucial and most of us will ride as early as possible in the morning to avoid the worst of the heat.
On the other side of the coin, though, the winter riding out here is a joy!

where in az are you? im in tucson, are you rideing
in the el tour de tucson?