Too hot to train

64Paramount said:
I rode 196 miles this week in spite of the heat and humidity, which is the most I have ridden in a single week so far this year.

We're supposed to have some very nice weather for the next several days and I'm looking forward to it!

I'm tired of being a water processing machine....

Nice work. If you want to stop being a water processing machine, the key is to stop drinking fluids. That brings water processing to a stop in pretty short order. ;) You should be thankful for your humidity. Although that's a perverse idea, at least when it's humid, you don't lose sight of all the water you're shedding, because it's all over you. Out here, when the monsoon isn't here and the humidity is next to non-existent, you can lose a buckets of water without really knowing it, as it doesn't accumulate on your skin. In those times, dehydration comes quickly.

jhuskey said:
For those of you that have been suffering training in the record heat this year I am posting this picture my friend sent me from the Swiss Alps taken this morning.
He says it's too cold to ride there.
Maybe if you stare at it it will cool you down a bit. It's been as high as 110 F on the pavement for me.

its never to hot to train over here in ireland if anything its always raining :D

Today the temp was 65, the dew point 51, wind west @ 1 mph, and rel humidity 73% when I left the house for my ride.

When I got back the temp was 71, the dew point 52, wind west @ 5 mph, and the humidity 54%.

It just doesn't get much nicer than that! :D

Edited to add: And it was clear and sunny...

Looks like the heat wave may be breaking a little. We are getting rain and the humidity is going to be lower by Monday.
On the subject of lawns I mowed my yard for eternal years but when i built my present house I left the landscape wooded.
A little weed eating every once in a while is sufficient.

davereo said:
Back to the heat. 80 degrees 51% humidity. Perfect cycling weather.

Had one of those good days here last week and I do declare I am not the same rider when that happens! OTOH I did some riding in Georgia in July and I wouldn't call it training so much as survival riding. It wasn't a pretty sight. Well... I wasn't a pretty sight anyway. :)

billydonn said:
Had one of those good days here last week and I do declare I am not the same rider when that happens! OTOH I did some riding in Georgia in July and I wouldn't call it training so much as survival riding. It wasn't a pretty sight. Well... I wasn't a pretty sight anyway. :)

Looks like some pretty country to ride in....

Finally the weather looks to be about perfect for the coming week, 60's in the morning with low humidity.
I'll probably freeze to death considering what I have been use to.

jhuskey said:
Finally the weather looks to be about perfect for the coming week, 60's in the morning with low humidity.
I'll probably freeze to death considering what I have been use to.

Same here, but they are saying later this week the lows will be in the mid 50's.

May encounter polar bears on the trails??:eek::eek::eek:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Saturday morning I needed to break out my JACKET!!!! Now the reports are for 15 degrees below normal for the next four days. Cycling has become an extreme sport this year...:eek:

BHOFM said:
Same here, but they are saying later this week the lows will be in the mid 50's.

I'd give just about anything to be pedaling in mid-50's temps, so long as those 50's are measured on the Fahrenheit scale. Pedaling when it's 50°C, 50 K, or 50 Rankine would verily suck.

alienator said:
I'd give just about anything to be pedaling in mid-50's temps, so long as those 50's are measured on the Fahrenheit scale. Pedaling when it's 50°C, 50 K, or 50 Rankine would verily suck.

+1 to that. It has returned to HOT here and I have taken to going out after 6 PM for my rides. The last hour after 7:00 as it cools down for dusk is pretty decent... nice in fact.