Too hot ?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by davep, Oct 12, 2004.

  1. davep

    davep Guest

    soup wrote:

    > Any one else get too hot cycling ? Was out yesterday
    > with a jacket on felt like purgatory,

    a jacket is only suitable if it's cold and raining hard and will be
    for the rest of the journey. Thats the problem with wearing jackets,
    you can't easily store them esp. if you wear them on a morning commute
    and are stuck with them for the warmer homeward journey. Better to wear
    layers.

    was out today in a
    > short sleeved t-shirt (by jings they grow them hardy in
    > jockland) :) seemed a lot easier .

    It was 10deg this morning in London with a nippy wind and some rain.
    A summer cycle jersey wouldn't have been enough on its own so I use my
    De Marchi long-sleeved base layer under the jersey. My knees were a
    little cold so tomorrow if its the same conditions I'll start using the
    knee warmers.

    > Have always been the type who prefers to be in doors
    > on really sunny days.

    An ideal time to get out and enjoy the breeze !

    > What is the preference for tops when cycling, is it the
    > cycling jersey and a small waterproof jacket ? I am
    > talking fairish winter/autumn riding if the weather is very
    > dire would get the bus or walk.

    Riding all year round makes those summer days *so* much more enjoyable.
    It's possible with the right clothing, gloves and overshoes

    davep

    Tags:

  2. soup

    soup Guest

    Any one else get too hot cycling ? Was out yesterday
    with a jacket on felt like purgatory, was out today in a
    short sleeved t-shirt (by jings they grow them hardy in
    jockland) :) seemed a lot easier .

    May not get too hot when my fitness goes up then I
    won't be working so hard, mmm cancel that will probably
    just up the speed till I am working as hard.

    Have always been the type who prefers to be in doors
    on really sunny days. Don't wear a h*lm*t because to
    me it is just a couple of inches of insulation strapped to
    your (TINY) head.

    --
    yours S

  3. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 13/10/04 11:15 am, in article
    [email protected], "soup"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > What is the preference for tops when cycling, is it the
    > cycling jersey and a small waterproof jacket ? I am
    > talking fairish winter/autumn riding if the weather is very
    > dire would get the bus or walk.

    It's not just you.
    Above 10C I just wear a cycle jersey and shorts. If raining (rather than
    soft) I add a waterproof over the top.

    Below that, I would add a thermal shirt under the jersey (for fine days) or
    just add the waterproof (for less fine days). And a fleece for when I stop.

    When it gets to around freezing or lower then I add a few more layers. Still
    end up toasty though.

    ...d

  4. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    soup wrote:
    > Any one else get too hot cycling ?

    In a waterproof, frequently, in a windproof sometimes.

    > What is the preference for tops when cycling, is it the
    > cycling jersey and a small waterproof jacket ? I am
    > talking fairish winter/autumn riding

    Usually one of Paramo's reversible tops with cool side active, I can
    swap it over if I'm getting chilly. If it starts getting nippier I'll
    supplement that with a thin pertex wind jacket.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    soup wrote:
    > Any one else get too hot cycling ? Was out yesterday
    > with a jacket on felt like purgatory,

    I would do if I wore anything more than very light and breathable
    clothing, in autumnal weather.

    > was out today in a
    > short sleeved t-shirt (by jings they grow them hardy in
    > jockland) :) seemed a lot easier .

    For when that gets too cold, get yourself a thin non-waterproof
    *windproof* jacket or gilet. That'll keep the chill off without boiling
    the contents.

    ~PB

  6. On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 10:15:29 GMT, soup wrote:
    > What is the preference for tops when cycling, [...]
    > I am talking fairish winter/autumn riding

    Thin longsleeve under shirt ("Odlo Light"/"Helly Lifa"), bib short with
    long mesh/lycra back, heavy lycra leg warmers, short sleeve cycling
    jersey, gilet (either fairly light 'wind resistant', or heavier akin to
    Windstopper), heavy duty "Super Roubaix" arm warmers (on sunny days in
    the backpocket), gloves depending on temp./rain: polypropylene base
    layer or fleece/windstopper or neoprene, shoe covers also dep. on
    temp./rain: none or windstopper or neoprene, wooly hat (solo/duo ride)
    or helmet. Very light neon-yellow rain jacket in backpocket.

    --
    Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://www.getffox.com/
    Thunderbird E-mail and Newsgroups - http://www.gettbird.com/

  7. When wearig a h*lm*t, I was too hot until the temperature dropped to -5°C...

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
    Edgware.

  8. chris French

    chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Pete Biggs
    <pblackcherry{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> writes
    >soup wrote:
    >> Any one else get too hot cycling ? Was out yesterday
    >> with a jacket on felt like purgatory,

    >I would do if I wore anything more than very light and breathable
    >clothing, in autumnal weather.
    >
    >> was out today in a
    >> short sleeved t-shirt (by jings they grow them hardy in
    >> jockland) :) seemed a lot easier .

    >For when that gets too cold, get yourself a thin non-waterproof
    >*windproof* jacket or gilet. That'll keep the chill off without boiling
    >the contents.

    Yep, I only wear my waterproof when its raining, or on short trips where
    the overheating isn't an issue - such as tootling to the shops. normal
    outer wear is a pertex windproof top

    Too cool for me now to be wearing a short sleeved top now most of the
    time. I would normally be wearing a long sleeved top with the above
    Pertex top over if necessary (my tops are usually multipurpose
    synthetic 'wicking' tops rather than cycling tops). If it gets colder
    then I use a thicker top or stick a T shirt layer on as well etc.. For
    steady cycling this will keep be enough for me until it gets down
    towards freezing when I might stick a light weight fleece under or over
    the top.

    I find that I need to give myself 10 minutes to get up to 'working temp'
    which means in winter I go out and feel bloody freezing for the first
    few minutes, if I'm not warm enough by 10 minutes then I need another
    layer. I've got a little stick on window thermometer (well I had one,
    I've not found it since last spring when it got removed...) I can
    usually judge pretty well by the temp what I will need.
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  9. On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:24:07 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
    > When wearig a h*lm*t, I was too hot until the temperature dropped to -5°C...

    But Helen, you're always hot.

    --
    Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://www.getffox.com/
    Thunderbird E-mail and Newsgroups - http://www.gettbird.com/

  10. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, soup
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Any one else get too hot cycling ?

    Yes, frequently. A particular problem, also, is getting chilled going
    down hill or when you stop.

    > What is the preference for tops when cycling, is it the
    > cycling jersey and a small waterproof jacket ? I am
    > talking fairish winter/autumn riding if the weather is very
    > dire would get the bus or walk.

    I've taken to wearing a long sleeved cycling jersey with a windproof
    gilet over it. The gilet zips right down the front so when you're going
    uphill you zip it right open, and then at the top you zip it closed
    again. Thin layers you can take off are also good if you have a bag
    with you.

    ;; Generally Not Used
    ;; Except by Middle Aged Computer Scientists

  11. Jack Ouzzi

    Jack Ouzzi Guest

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 15:05:03 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >in message <[email protected]>, soup
    >('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    >> Any one else get too hot cycling ?

    >Yes, frequently. A particular problem, also, is getting chilled going
    >down hill or when you stop.

    Yep, me too. I also think it depends on our own body temperature
    settings (metabolism), and the type of cycling we all do. When I was
    time trialling ALL my best times were on cold dark dank drizzly
    horrible days (more O2 in the air as well I think), most others were
    slower I was always quicker.

    A bight sunny wind still 26 degree summers day and I was hopeless
    (well minutes slower then) others loved it.

    When I'm out riding now, I always carry a wooly hat in my back pocket,
    just so that if I do have to stop (puncture) I put in on (even if
    sweating) to stop the heat loss until I get going again.

    Maybe I should train with my turbo in the fridge !!

  12. Steph Peters

    Steph Peters Guest

    "soup" <soup_ne[email protected]> of wrote:
    > Any one else get too hot cycling ? Was out yesterday
    >with a jacket on felt like purgatory, was out today in a
    >short sleeved t-shirt (by jings they grow them hardy in
    >jockland) :) seemed a lot easier .

    I cycle to work, and after 5 minutes cool down from cycling I put on an
    extra layer to keep me warm while sitting at a desk.

    > May not get too hot when my fitness goes up then I
    >won't be working so hard, mmm cancel that will probably
    >just up the speed till I am working as hard.

    I got fit once, but it didn't change my basic tendency to get very hot while
    cycling, I just went faster.

    > Have always been the type who prefers to be in doors
    >on really sunny days. Don't wear a h*lm*t because to
    >me it is just a couple of inches of insulation strapped to
    >your (TINY) head.

    I had to wear one while in New Zealand in spring. I got so overheated going
    up a long hill that I felt faint and had to stop the bike. As there was
    probably nothing more sentient than a sheep within 5 miles, I decided to
    take the helmet off while riding up hill as the lesser risk.

    > What is the preference for tops when cycling, is it the
    > cycling jersey and a small waterproof jacket ? I am
    > talking fairish winter/autumn riding if the weather is very
    > dire would get the bus or walk.

    Pick any two of T shirt, sweat shirt or light windproof jacket. All three
    only worn when it's below 5C, or for a five minute dash to the shops when
    there isn't time to warm up.
    --
    No one recovers from the disease of being born; a deadly wound
    if there ever was one. - E. M. Cioran

  13. davek

    davek Guest

    soup wrote:
    > What is the preference for tops when cycling, is it the
    > cycling jersey and a small waterproof jacket ? I am
    > talking fairish winter/autumn riding if the weather is very
    > dire would get the bus or walk.

    I only ever wear the waterproof if it's proper heavy rain, otherwise
    it's too hot.

    I think the ideal is to dress up warm at the start of your journey but
    be able to remove some layers once you've warmed up - I usually wear my
    full-length tights and long-sleeved thermal lycra jersey at the moment
    but they do tend to leave me steaming a bit once I've got going so I'm
    thinking of getting some arm and leg warmers instead, that can be easily
    removed en route if I feel too warm, and save the full winter garb for
    when the weather makes it really necessary.

    d.

  14. On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 10:15:29 GMT, "soup"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > What is the preference for tops when cycling, is it the
    > cycling jersey and a small waterproof jacket ? I am
    > talking fairish winter/autumn riding if the weather is very
    > dire would get the bus or walk.

    Head-to-toe Goretex suits me.

  15. " [Not Responding] " <[email protected]>typed

    > Head-to-toe Goretex suits me.

    My sweat production exceeds its design specification.