Too Hot!

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Shaun Woodward, Jul 11, 2005.

  1. Never thought I would do this, but postponed a walk on Sunday in the
    considered opinion that it was TOO BLOODY HOT!
    Heat rash in tender area probably influenced decision, any miracle cures
    appreciated, dusting with talc helps until it rubs away.

    Shaun Woodward

    Tags:

  2. On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:44:36 +0100, "Shaun Woodward"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    | Never thought I would do this, but postponed a walk on Sunday in the
    | considered opinion that it was TOO BLOODY HOT!
    | Heat rash in tender area probably influenced decision, any miracle cures
    | appreciated, dusting with talc helps until it rubs away.

    Showers! When I was in Aden 98 deg F and humid all the year round, we
    always had 2->3 showers per day. and one day I thought "this is ridiculous"
    because I had counted 8 showers in 24 hrs.

    --
    Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> In Case of Emergency
    Store the word "ICE" in your mobile phone address book, and

  3. The Reids

    The Reids Guest

    Following up to Shaun Woodward

    >Never thought I would do this, but postponed a walk on Sunday in the
    >considered opinion that it was TOO BLOODY HOT!

    Quite right, who would want to walk in boiling weather, something
    and wet in the back garden is more appropriate.
    --
    Mike Reid
    Walk-eat-UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email [email protected] this site

  4. Shaun Woodward wrote:

    > Heat rash in tender area probably influenced decision, any miracle
    > cures appreciated, dusting with talc helps until it rubs away.

    Tight fit lycra running shorts. They don't reduce the heat but they
    eliminate the abrasion by close fitting in the crotch area. Worn
    under ordinary shorts they don't look quite so daft.

    Chris

  5. Judith

    Judith Guest

    On 11 Jul 2005 08:09:26 -0700, "Chris Gilbert"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Shaun Woodward wrote:
    >
    >> Heat rash in tender area probably influenced decision, any miracle
    >> cures appreciated, dusting with talc helps until it rubs away.

    >Tight fit lycra running shorts. They don't reduce the heat but they
    >eliminate the abrasion by close fitting in the crotch area. Worn
    >under ordinary shorts they don't look quite so daft.

    I think that that sort of close-fitting man-made fabric may also help
    because the sweat will more easily evaporate off the surface of the
    material and not soak in and stay wet.

    I have just spent the weekend walking and have a couple of tender
    areas despite trying to stay clean and dry. I think I'm going to try
    one of the nappy-rash creams next time I walk a long way in very hot
    weather - although washing, careful drying and use of talc does seem
    to help a lot.

    Judith

  6. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Chris Gilbert wrote:

    > Tight fit lycra running shorts. They don't reduce the heat but they
    > eliminate the abrasion by close fitting in the crotch area.

    As do wrapover running shorts with a Coolmax brief. And they're cooler.

    > Worn under ordinary shorts they don't look quite so daft.

    But two layers will be hotter than one.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  7. Judith

    Judith Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 16:43:11 +0100, Dominic Sexton
    <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >>I have just spent the weekend walking

    >How did it go? And how was the 5k?

    The walk went well, thanks. It was my first time up Ben Nevis - so a
    shame that it was bathed in cloud and I couldn't see anything, but at
    least it kept me cool. Scafell Pike was its usual miserable self.
    Snowdon (Llanberis Path) was a slog and I was really running on empty.
    TR to follow when I get some energy back.

    5k run is on Wednesday. Hopefully I shall be able to walk/run without
    grimacing by then!

    Judith

  8. Lee Perry

    Lee Perry Guest

    "Shaun Woodward" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Never thought I would do this, but postponed a walk on Sunday in the
    > considered opinion that it was TOO BLOODY HOT!
    > Heat rash in tender area probably influenced decision, any miracle cures
    > appreciated, dusting with talc helps until it rubs away.
    >
    > Shaun Woodward

    I dropped out of the Welsh 3Ks on Saturday at Ogwen with a tad of Heat
    stroke - TR coming later!

    Must go back in a couple of weeks and do it all again (if its cooler).......

    Lee
    ________________

    http://lee-perry.co.uk

  9. Fran

    Fran Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Shaun Woodward said...
    > Never thought I would do this, but postponed a walk on Sunday in the
    > considered opinion that it was TOO BLOODY HOT!

    It *was* too hot. I was out in it all weekend, at an archery
    competition (<brag> I came away with a silver medal and three personal
    best scores </brag>), and it was *far* too hot.

    > Heat rash in tender area probably influenced decision, any miracle cures
    > appreciated, dusting with talc helps until it rubs away.

    There's a cream called Metanium that you can buy from any decent
    chemist. I used to use it for nappy rash on the littl'uns and it's
    very good. There is the slight snag that it can stain underwear;
    however if you don't mind the indignity of using supermarket own-brand
    dirt cheap sanitary towels (it's not as if anyone need know, after
    all) the staining won't be a problem. Another all-purpose cream, if
    the heat rash isn't all that bad, is Sudocrem. This is also available
    from just about everywhere, including supermarkets (I think) and
    whilst not as good as Metanium it's still very good.

    You see? Sometimes mother /does/ know best :)
    --
    /
    Fran O(<|={

  10. Fran

    Fran Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, The Reids
    said...
    > something
    > and wet in the back garden is more appropriate.

    Pardon?? Would you care to rephrase that? Or shall we just boggle?
    --
    /
    Fran O(<|={

  11. Fran

    Fran Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Judith
    said...
    > I think I'm going to try
    > one of the nappy-rash creams next time I walk a long way in very hot
    > weather

    Sudocrem if it's not too bad; Metanium if it is.
    --
    /
    Fran O(<|={

  12. Nick Pedley

    Nick Pedley Guest

    "Shaun Woodward" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Never thought I would do this, but postponed a walk on Sunday in the
    > considered opinion that it was TOO BLOODY HOT!

    This is essentially why I do not go walking in July or August. I get very
    little enjoyment out of struggling along in sweltering heat, even if it does
    mean longer days for walking in.

    Nick

  13. Peewiglet

    Peewiglet Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 17:38:04 +0100, Judith
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>How did it go? And how was the 5k?

    >The walk went well, thanks. It was my first time up Ben Nevis - so a
    >shame that it was bathed in cloud and I couldn't see anything, but at
    >least it kept me cool. Scafell Pike was its usual miserable self.
    >Snowdon (Llanberis Path) was a slog and I was really running on empty.
    >TR to follow when I get some energy back.

    Many congrat's! That must have been a bit of a killer.

    >5k run is on Wednesday. Hopefully I shall be able to walk/run without
    >grimacing by then!

    5k run, eh? Impressive! Where is it?

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~

  14. Judith

    Judith Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 23:14:42 +0100, Peewiglet <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >>The walk went well, thanks. It was my first time up Ben Nevis - so a
    >>shame that it was bathed in cloud and I couldn't see anything, but at
    >>least it kept me cool. Scafell Pike was its usual miserable self.
    >>Snowdon (Llanberis Path) was a slog and I was really running on empty.
    >>TR to follow when I get some energy back.

    >Many congrat's! That must have been a bit of a killer.

    Yes, it was heavy going in places. A mixture of tiredness and hot sun
    didn't help.

    >>5k run is on Wednesday. Hopefully I shall be able to walk/run without
    >>grimacing by then!

    >5k run, eh? Impressive! Where is it?

    Victoria Park, Southport. I'm dreading it. I shall try to do 3 or 4k
    tomorrow, as a practice, but I shall be saving the full distance until
    the real thing and hoping the "big event atmosphere" will pull me
    through.

    Judith

  15. druidh

    druidh Guest

    Yay!! Bring on the Winter!

    druidh

  16. John Owens

    John Owens Guest

  17. Fran

    Fran Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, John
    Owens said...
    > Try this one for heat (and it opriginated to celebrate the people collecting
    > ice !).
    >
    > http://www.courseducanigou.com/

    I'd love to, but in this heat I can't be bothered to sit here
    translating it.

    --
    /
    Fran O(<|={

  18. "druidh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Yay!! Bring on the Winter!
    >

    >Now we are talking!snow and sun, ice, fog , rain, hailstones, mist, slush,
    >gales...anything I missed?

  19. "Fran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Shaun Woodward said...
    >> Never thought I would do this, but postponed a walk on Sunday in the
    >> considered opinion that it was TOO BLOODY HOT!

    > It *was* too hot. I was out in it all weekend, at an archery
    > competition (<brag> I came away with a silver medal and three personal
    > best scores </brag>), and it was *far* too hot.
    >
    >> Heat rash in tender area probably influenced decision, any miracle cures
    >> appreciated, dusting with talc helps until it rubs away.

    > There's a cream called Metanium that you can buy from any decent
    > chemist. I used to use it for nappy rash on the littl'uns and it's
    > very good. There is the slight snag that it can stain underwear;
    > however if you don't mind the indignity of using supermarket own-brand
    > dirt cheap sanitary towels (it's not as if anyone need know, after
    > >

    > You see? Sometimes mother /does/ know best :)
    > --
    > /
    > Fran O(<|={
    > \

    Mothers expect you to wear some daft things but I am not going to wear
    sanitary towels, my wife would not approve..

    Shaun