Too late?

Heath

New Member
Aug 11, 2004
Hi, just a quick one...is it too late to start cycling at the age of 18 considering most elite cyclists would have started at a far earlier age?

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 03:54:14 +1000, Heath
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi, just a quick one...is it too late to start cycling at the age of 18
>considering most elite cyclists would have started at a far earlier
>age?

Go out and ride hard for a year, and then come back and ask again and we'll
have the answer for you.

-B

<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>Hi, just a quick one...is it too late to start cycling at the age of 18
>considering most elite cyclists would have started at a far earlier
>age?

Cycling for what? My wife started aged 30 and now rides every day,
including sometimes piloting a triplet with two kids on the back.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

<[email protected]> wrote:
>Hi, just a quick one...is it too late to start cycling at the age of 18
>considering most elite cyclists would have started at a far earlier
>age?

Yes, it's too late. By the time you reach 18, your muscles are set
in their ways, and can't learn new tricks. You're stuck forever with
a life of whatever you did when you were 17.

Okay, really, it's fine. Maybe you could even become an elite racer
like Fabrizio Mazzoleni.
--
Rick Onanian

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:05:02 -0400, Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 03:54:14 +1000, Heath
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi, just a quick one...is it too late to start cycling at the age of 18
>> considering most elite cyclists would have started at a far earlier
>> age?

> Yes, it's too late. By the time you reach 18, your muscles are set
> in their ways, and can't learn new tricks. You're stuck forever with
> a life of whatever you did when you were 17.
>
> Okay, really, it's fine. Maybe you could even become an elite racer
> like Fabrizio Mazzoleni.
> --
> Rick Onanian

Now, if we were talking tennis...that's a different story.

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply

Most elitist people in any sport have a passion for thir sport that started
as children. Perhaps you may wish to set your goals a little lower?

Ben A Gozar <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:
> Most elitist people in any sport have a passion for thir sport that
> started as children. Perhaps you may wish to set your goals a little
> lower?

There is a big difference between elite and elitist.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi, just a quick one...is it too late to start cycling at the age of 18
>considering most elite cyclists would have started at a far earlier
>age?

As everybody will ask you--cycling for WHAT?

I'm 23. There are guys on this NG and in my town who are twice and
three times my age who can ride me into the ground with sickening
ease.

Now, if you've got tour or olympic dreams, well, I couldn't tell you
what "too late" means. There's a fellow who trialed for the U.S.
Olympic Track Cycling team from my area who's in his mid-30s: rides
Match Sprint and Kilometer, from what I remember.

There are always races to ride in, if you want them.

Advice: if what you want to do is race, well, get on your bike,
train, and join your local racing club.

If, however, what you want to do is ride a bike, well, ain't nobody
gonna stop you.

-Luigi
(Not a racer, incidentally)

Heath wrote:

> Hi, just a quick one...is it too late to start cycling at the age of 18
> considering most elite cyclists would have started at a far earlier
> age?

It may depend how elite you want to be. (Personally, I was never
motivated to be in the top 5%. Good thing, too.)

It may also depend on what you've been doing instead, and on your genes.
Couch potato whose parents died of heart ailments at 30? Sorry. But if
you're a person who runs marathons while singing, you're in for lots of fun.

Speaking of marathons: Back in the 1970s, I had a friend once who
qualified for the Boston Marathon. He was at least 40. Anyway, our
cycling got him interested, and he bought a very nice bike. He did one
20 mile ride, one 30 mile ride, then he took part in a major
invitational ride with a big city club. Hundreds of cyclists riding 100
miles south one day, sleeping overnight on a gym floor, then 100 miles
back north the next day. On the way back, he was hanging with a couple
of really fast guys all the way - until they said "Well, we live over
that way, so we're not going back to the finish. Just follow the arrows."

He was the first guy to finish.

So it all depends.

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

In article <[email protected]>,
Ben A Gozar <[email protected]> writes:
> Most elitist people in any sport have a passion for thir sport that started
> as children. Perhaps you may wish to set your goals a little lower?

Or even dismiss or disregard goals in a Zen sort of way,
and just ride as well as possible, for the sake and
enjoyment of doing so. From that point, whatever happens,
happens. Goals can be so limiting, and they can divert
attention from good stuff we failed to consider.

To the OP:
You're 18 and wanting elite status, eh? A pretty good
start on that road might well be doing a bike courier
work for awhile. And maybe using a fixed-gear as your
working bike. That's what I'd do if I fit those
criteria, anyways.

If local facilities are available, maybe get into track
racing. I'm almost willing to bet dollars to donut-holes
that track skills are more transferable to road racing,
than the reverse. And I believe being well-rounded in
skill is key to elitehood.

But I'm no expert on elete-ness. My biggest race in
awhile was last night, against a skunk who was keeping
pace with me (I didn't know whether to try to outrun it,
or fall back and let it get ahead of me.) So I'm not
even elite when it comes to racing with the local fauna.

cheers,
Tom