Too Many Almonds?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by DaltonUte, Feb 6, 2005.

  1. DaltonUte

    DaltonUte Guest

    I love almonds and eat half a pound a day. My health and weight all seem
    normal. Are these almonds good for me, or are they a negative?

    Tags:

  2. Rene

    Rene Guest

  3. DaltonUte wrote:
    > I love almonds and eat half a pound a day. My health and weight all

    seem
    > normal. Are these almonds good for me, or are they a negative?

    Yes, they are. However, eating a half a pound crowds out stomach space
    for the other nutritous foods you should be eating. Cut your almond
    consumption down to a small handful-per-day and you'll be fine.

    Patrick

  4. Eric Bohlman

    Eric Bohlman Guest

    [email protected] (DaltonUte) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I love almonds and eat half a pound a day. My health and weight all
    > seem normal. Are these almonds good for me, or are they a negative?

    You're asking the wrong question. You can't classify foods as "good" or
    "bad" all by themselves; you have to take into account how much of them
    you're eating as well. Thus your question should have been phrased as
    "Are *that many* almonds good for me..."

    The answer is that while almonds have a lot of desirable nutritional
    properties, you're almost certainly eating too much of them. Depending
    on how they're prepared, half a pound of almonds has between 1700 and
    1800 calories. For most people, that's going to be well over half (in
    many cases over two-thirds) of their appropriate daily caloric intake.
    That means that you're either going to have to cut out *lots* of other
    foods in order to make up for it, so much that you lose out on other
    forms of nutrition, or gain weight. Humans are adapted to a diverse
    diet, and it's not generally a good idea to rely on only a few
    foodstuffs for one's nutritional needs.

    I'd keep eating the almonds, but moderate my consumption of them (over
    the long term; if you want to eat half a pound of almonds twice a week,
    you're now talking about at most 500 calories per day, which you should
    be able to easily work into your caloric budget).

  5. Roger Rabbit

    Roger Rabbit Guest

    On 6 Feb 2005 18:55:19 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    >DaltonUte wrote:
    >> I love almonds and eat half a pound a day. My health and weight all

    >seem
    >> normal. Are these almonds good for me, or are they a negative?

    >Yes, they are. However, eating a half a pound crowds out stomach space
    >for the other nutritous foods you should be eating. Cut your almond
    >consumption down to a small handful-per-day and you'll be fine.

    Exactly. One or two ounces per day ought to be fine to derive the
    benefits.

    rr