Too Many Almonds?

DaltonUte

Guest
I love almonds and eat half a pound a day. My health and weight all seem
normal. Are these almonds good for me, or are they a negative?

DaltonUte wrote:
> I love almonds and eat half a pound a day. My health and weight all

seem
> normal. Are these almonds good for me, or are they a negative?

Yes, they are. However, eating a half a pound crowds out stomach space
for the other nutritous foods you should be eating. Cut your almond
consumption down to a small handful-per-day and you'll be fine.

Patrick

[email protected] (DaltonUte) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I love almonds and eat half a pound a day. My health and weight all
> seem normal. Are these almonds good for me, or are they a negative?

You're asking the wrong question. You can't classify foods as "good" or
"bad" all by themselves; you have to take into account how much of them
you're eating as well. Thus your question should have been phrased as
"Are *that many* almonds good for me..."

The answer is that while almonds have a lot of desirable nutritional
properties, you're almost certainly eating too much of them. Depending
on how they're prepared, half a pound of almonds has between 1700 and
1800 calories. For most people, that's going to be well over half (in
many cases over two-thirds) of their appropriate daily caloric intake.
That means that you're either going to have to cut out *lots* of other
foods in order to make up for it, so much that you lose out on other
forms of nutrition, or gain weight. Humans are adapted to a diverse
diet, and it's not generally a good idea to rely on only a few
foodstuffs for one's nutritional needs.

I'd keep eating the almonds, but moderate my consumption of them (over
the long term; if you want to eat half a pound of almonds twice a week,
you're now talking about at most 500 calories per day, which you should
be able to easily work into your caloric budget).

On 6 Feb 2005 18:55:19 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>DaltonUte wrote:
>> I love almonds and eat half a pound a day. My health and weight all

>seem
>> normal. Are these almonds good for me, or are they a negative?

>Yes, they are. However, eating a half a pound crowds out stomach space
>for the other nutritous foods you should be eating. Cut your almond
>consumption down to a small handful-per-day and you'll be fine.

Exactly. One or two ounces per day ought to be fine to derive the
benefits.

rr