Too many flat tires for my tastes - Suggestions?

Mister C said:
Lastly, i have given up patching tires. I just replace the whole tube. It seems more reliable to me but does have added cost.
Maybe you have the same problem I just did. I forgot not to use Worthless (some call them Glueless) patches. Some call them preglued which must be short for "too damn weak material inadequately preglued with ineffective glue".

I buy the blue-backed rubber patches which come with a metal scraper and a tube of cement. Grocery stores carry them in the hardware/automotive department. You abrade the tube around the hole, spread a thin layer of glue on both surfaces, let dry while still separate, then press together. 5 min seems like enough. A repair like that will last forever.

Bigbananabike said:
Here is a solution that works for me(for my training bikes - not used for racing)

Get another tyre of the same size (700 x 23). Cut the beading off it on both sides. Take out your tube. Put the other tyre inside your current tyre. Put the tube back inside both tyres. Reseat your current tyre. Inflate as usual.
Your bike will be a bit slower to ride(you may loose 1 km/hour average say) but you won't flat your back tyre!
Only do it to the back for as we all know - we hardly ever flat on the front compared with the rear tyre.
I've heard this several times [twice from BBB] & finally decided to give it a go. Not because I've had flats of late, more because I'm a tight ar$e & didn't want to replace my rear worn out tyre which only cost $15 from PBK anyway.
I used a PR2 & left about half the side wall intact. This has added about 175g to my rear wheel which I run about 5psi lower than before assuming the new set up would be a little harsher.
I've been training on this rear wheel for a few weeks now & frankly haven't noticed any detectable decrease in my average training speeds.

Good stuff.
My friend who's done this has had over a year of commuting 38kms a day with only the builder's large staple going through both tyres.
Great it hasn't slowed you down:)

Albert 50 said:
I've heard this several times [twice from BBB] & finally decided to give it a go. Not because I've had flats of late, more because I'm a tight ar$e & didn't want to replace my rear worn out tyre which only cost $15 from PBK anyway.
I used a PR2 & left about half the side wall intact. This has added about 175g to my rear wheel which I run about 5psi lower than before assuming the new set up would be a little harsher.
I've been training on this rear wheel for a few weeks now & frankly haven't noticed any detectable decrease in my average training speeds.