Too much garlic

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by The Bubbo, Jan 17, 2006.

  1. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    I decided to make a loaf of garlic rosemary bread. David likes garlic so I
    threw in a bunch. I threw in too much. The machine isn't even to the bake
    cycle and the house positively reeks of garlic.

    I fear the final results

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com

    Tags:

  2. sf

    sf Guest

    The Bubbo wrote:
    > I decided to make a loaf of garlic rosemary bread. David likes garlic so I
    > threw in a bunch. I threw in too much. The machine isn't even to the bake
    > cycle and the house positively reeks of garlic.
    >
    > I fear the final results

    With any luck it will mellow... like roasted garlic should!

    <keep hope alive>

  3. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    sf wrote:

    > The Bubbo wrote:
    >> I decided to make a loaf of garlic rosemary bread. David likes garlic so I
    >> threw in a bunch. I threw in too much. The machine isn't even to the bake
    >> cycle and the house positively reeks of garlic.
    >>
    >> I fear the final results
    >>

    > With any luck it will mellow... like roasted garlic should!
    >
    > <keep hope alive>

    I really really hope so
    the last time I made focaccia I put in some garlic but it mellowed to the
    point where it was barely perceptible.

    So I added more

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com
    Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

  4. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    sf wrote:

    > The Bubbo wrote:
    >> I decided to make a loaf of garlic rosemary bread. David likes garlic so I
    >> threw in a bunch. I threw in too much. The machine isn't even to the bake
    >> cycle and the house positively reeks of garlic.
    >>
    >> I fear the final results
    >>

    > With any luck it will mellow... like roasted garlic should!
    >
    > <keep hope alive>

    oooh it mellowed and it is so very good right now.
    so good.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com
    Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

  5. sf

    sf Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 05:38:41 GMT, The Bubbo wrote:

    > sf wrote:
    > >
    > > The Bubbo wrote:
    > >> I decided to make a loaf of garlic rosemary bread. David likes garlic so I
    > >> threw in a bunch. I threw in too much. The machine isn't even to the bake
    > >> cycle and the house positively reeks of garlic.
    > >>
    > >> I fear the final results
    > >>

    > > With any luck it will mellow... like roasted garlic should!
    > >
    > > <keep hope alive>
    > >

    > oooh it mellowed and it is so very good right now.
    > so good.

    Happy, happy, joy, joy! Trust your oven to mellow garlic given time
    and heat.

    :)

  6. Oh, and BTW... there's no such thing as too much garlic. ;-)

  7. Johnny Dividas wrote:
    > Oh, and BTW... there's no such thing as too much garlic. ;-)

    I agree but what about the others who have to sit next to someone
    who ate so much garlic that it is coming out of the pores of the skin?
    Not breath, but the skin! At least I am antibacterial if I ate so much
    garlic.

  8. Kathy

    Kathy Guest

    "The Bubbo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > I decided to make a loaf of garlic rosemary

    bread. David likes garlic so I
    > threw in a bunch. I threw in too much. The

    machine isn't even to the bake
    > cycle and the house positively reeks of garlic.
    >
    > I fear the final results
    >

    > --
    > .:Heather:.
    > www.velvet-c.com
    > Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

    I noticed a thread about bread machines a few weeks
    back but I didn't read it cause I didn't have one.
    Now I do. I haven't used it yet but I did read some
    of the book that came with it. It warned about
    adding too much garlic or cinnamon. It also told me
    I have to buy special flour.(after I went and
    bought a jar of yeast and some measuring spoons)
    Will it still work with regular unbleached flour? I
    haven't made bread since the 70's and never used a
    fancy machine like this. I'm a little intimidated
    but anxious to try it out. What are the _REAL_
    do's and don'ts?

    Kathy

  9. In article <[email protected]>,

    > Johnny Dividas wrote:
    > > Oh, and BTW... there's no such thing as too much garlic. ;-)

    > I agree but what about the others who have to sit next to someone
    > who ate so much garlic that it is coming out of the pores of the skin?
    > Not breath, but the skin! At least I am antibacterial if I ate so much
    > garlic.

    <lol>

    Sometimes my housemate over does the garlic...

    I can smell him when I enter the room!

    But, I honestly don't find it unpleasant.
    Might be a childhood memory. We had two very good
    Italian freinds when I was a small child. They
    always smelled of garlic, but there are so many
    good memories associated with that smell, I guess
    I don't find it to be bad?????
    --
    Om.

  10. salgud

    salgud Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Johnny Dividas wrote:
    > > > Oh, and BTW... there's no such thing as too much garlic. ;-)

    Amen, brother!

    > > I agree but what about the others who have to sit next to someone
    > > who ate so much garlic that it is coming out of the pores of the skin?
    > > Not breath, but the skin! At least I am antibacterial if I ate so much
    > > garlic.
    > >

    > <lol>
    >
    > Sometimes my housemate over does the garlic...
    >
    > I can smell him when I enter the room!
    >
    > But, I honestly don't find it unpleasant.
    > Might be a childhood memory. We had two very good
    > Italian freinds when I was a small child. They
    > always smelled of garlic, but there are so many
    > good memories associated with that smell, I guess
    > I don't find it to be bad?????
    > --
    > Om.
    >
    > "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack Nicholson

    I love the smell of garlic. Can never have too much!
    When my kids were little, and I had joint custody after our divorce,
    they told me that when the got into her car in the morning after I
    fixed spagetti the night before, she'd look at them and say,"Your
    father made spagetti last night, didn't he?"
    I nearly always double the garlic called for in recipes, sometimes even
    more. And my favorite Italian restaurant here in Denver has a sign over
    the door, "If you don't like garlic, go away!"

  11. aem

    aem Guest

    Kathy wrote:

    > I noticed a thread about bread machines a few weeks
    > back but I didn't read it cause I didn't have one.
    > Now I do. I haven't used it yet but I did read some
    > of the book that came with it. It warned about
    > adding too much garlic or cinnamon. It also told me
    > I have to buy special flour.(after I went and
    > bought a jar of yeast and some measuring spoons)
    > Will it still work with regular unbleached flour? I
    > haven't made bread since the 70's and never used a
    > fancy machine like this. I'm a little intimidated
    > but anxious to try it out. What are the _REAL_
    > do's and don'ts?

    Bread flour has more gluten than AP flour. If you have a lot of AP
    flour you want to use up, go get some gluten flour to mix with it for
    bread. Otherwise, save the AP flour for general use and get some bread
    flour for your machine. The point of the higher gluten is that it
    gives you better rise and better texture for your bread. -aem

  12. In article <[email protected]>,
    "salgud" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I love the smell of garlic. Can never have too much!
    > When my kids were little, and I had joint custody after our divorce,
    > they told me that when the got into her car in the morning after I
    > fixed spagetti the night before, she'd look at them and say,"Your
    > father made spagetti last night, didn't he?"
    > I nearly always double the garlic called for in recipes, sometimes even
    > more. And my favorite Italian restaurant here in Denver has a sign over
    > the door, "If you don't like garlic, go away!"

    And you will most likely live longer....... :)
    --
    Om.

  13. salgud

    salgud Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]7g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    > "salgud" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I love the smell of garlic. Can never have too much!
    > > When my kids were little, and I had joint custody after our divorce,
    > > they told me that when the got into her car in the morning after I
    > > fixed spagetti the night before, she'd look at them and say,"Your
    > > father made spagetti last night, didn't he?"
    > > I nearly always double the garlic called for in recipes, sometimes even
    > > more. And my favorite Italian restaurant here in Denver has a sign over
    > > the door, "If you don't like garlic, go away!"

    > And you will most likely live longer....... :)

    I intend to anyway, just to piss all my friends and family off!

    > --
    > Om.
    >
    > "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack Nicholson

  14. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 15:34:39 -0500, "Kathy" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I noticed a thread about bread machines a few weeks
    >back but I didn't read it cause I didn't have one.
    >Now I do. I haven't used it yet but I did read some
    >of the book that came with it. It warned about
    >adding too much garlic or cinnamon. It also told me
    >I have to buy special flour.(after I went and
    >bought a jar of yeast and some measuring spoons)
    >Will it still work with regular unbleached flour? I
    >haven't made bread since the 70's and never used a
    >fancy machine like this. I'm a little intimidated
    >but anxious to try it out. What are the _REAL_
    >do's and don'ts?

    The bread will come out denser with the all-purpose flour. It will
    taste fine and make nice sandwiches and toast.

    But most grocery stores sell bread flour, so you might want to pick up
    a bag and after a few loaves try the AP flour to see the difference.

    Sue(tm)

  15. serene

    serene Guest

    On 18 Jan 2006 14:54:25 -0800, "salgud" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    >> In article <[email protected]>,
    >> "salgud" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> > I love the smell of garlic. Can never have too much!
    >> > When my kids were little, and I had joint custody after our divorce,
    >> > they told me that when the got into her car in the morning after I
    >> > fixed spagetti the night before, she'd look at them and say,"Your
    >> > father made spagetti last night, didn't he?"
    >> > I nearly always double the garlic called for in recipes, sometimes even
    >> > more. And my favorite Italian restaurant here in Denver has a sign over
    >> > the door, "If you don't like garlic, go away!"

    >> And you will most likely live longer....... :)

    >I intend to anyway, just to piss all my friends and family off!

    My friends and family will be thrilled if I live a long, happy life.
    Maybe you need new friends. ;-)

    serene

  16. salgud

    salgud Guest

    serene wrote:
    > On 18 Jan 2006 14:54:25 -0800, "salgud" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > >> And you will most likely live longer....... :)

    > >I intend to anyway, just to piss all my friends and family off!

    > My friends and family will be thrilled if I live a long, happy life.
    > Maybe you need new friends. ;-)

    I'm very happy for you! In my case, it's not my friends, it's me. I
    need a personality transplant, but can't afford it. :)

    > serene

  17. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote

    > But, I honestly don't find it unpleasant.
    > Might be a childhood memory. We had two very good
    > Italian freinds when I was a small child. They
    > always smelled of garlic, but there are so many
    > good memories associated with that smell, I guess
    > I don't find it to be bad?????

    Sometimes people don't smell so good when they eat too much
    garlic, but the garlic smell itself, I love. One time I had a bad
    dream, something really ranked, what a stink. Woke up, it
    was me sweating out garlic. Garlic bread at some fancy
    Italian restaurant ... it was great but ... WHEW!

    nancy

  18. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Johnny Dividas wrote:
    >> Oh, and BTW... there's no such thing as too much garlic. ;-)

    > I agree but what about the others who have to sit next to someone
    > who ate so much garlic that it is coming out of the pores of the skin?
    > Not breath, but the skin! At least I am antibacterial if I ate so much
    > garlic.

    I am super paranoid about this and that's why i've developed a bit of an
    aversion to it. I like garlic, but my own personal paranoia about body odor
    trumps all.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com
    Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

  19. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    Kathy wrote:

    > "The Bubbo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]
    >> I decided to make a loaf of garlic rosemary

    > bread. David likes garlic so I
    >> threw in a bunch. I threw in too much. The

    > machine isn't even to the bake
    >> cycle and the house positively reeks of garlic.
    >>
    >> I fear the final results
    >>

    >> --
    >> .:Heather:.
    >> www.velvet-c.com
    >> Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

    > I noticed a thread about bread machines a few weeks
    > back but I didn't read it cause I didn't have one.
    > Now I do. I haven't used it yet but I did read some
    > of the book that came with it. It warned about
    > adding too much garlic or cinnamon. It also told me
    > I have to buy special flour.(after I went and
    > bought a jar of yeast and some measuring spoons)
    > Will it still work with regular unbleached flour? I
    > haven't made bread since the 70's and never used a
    > fancy machine like this. I'm a little intimidated
    > but anxious to try it out. What are the _REAL_
    > do's and don'ts?
    >
    > Kathy

    Regular flour works just fine. Bread flour has a higher gluten content which
    helps with elasticity and rising, but I've been using bread machines for years
    and have made the bread with regular unbleached flour and it turned out just
    fine.

    I would recommend that if you use the timed feature of your bread machine to
    put the salt in with the wet ingredients just to keep it safely away from the
    yeast which will be on top of the dry.

    Don't be intimidated by it at all! GO! Go right now and stick all the
    ingredients in for a basic white loaf. Go make bread. You'll quickly learn how
    to shuffle the flour in over the water so it covers it completely and your dry
    ingredients stay dry and from there, you can go nuts. Don't be scared, a bread
    machine is supposed to take the intimidation out of making bread.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com
    Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

  20. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    aem wrote:

    > Kathy wrote:
    >>
    >> I noticed a thread about bread machines a few weeks
    >> back but I didn't read it cause I didn't have one.
    >> Now I do. I haven't used it yet but I did read some
    >> of the book that came with it. It warned about
    >> adding too much garlic or cinnamon. It also told me
    >> I have to buy special flour.(after I went and
    >> bought a jar of yeast and some measuring spoons)
    >> Will it still work with regular unbleached flour? I
    >> haven't made bread since the 70's and never used a
    >> fancy machine like this. I'm a little intimidated
    >> but anxious to try it out. What are the _REAL_
    >> do's and don'ts?
    >>

    > Bread flour has more gluten than AP flour. If you have a lot of AP
    > flour you want to use up, go get some gluten flour to mix with it for
    > bread. Otherwise, save the AP flour for general use and get some bread
    > flour for your machine. The point of the higher gluten is that it
    > gives you better rise and better texture for your bread. -aem

    oh, also, if you go get wheat gluten to mix in with your flour, get it from
    the bulk bin not the box in the baking aisle. It's so much cheaper in the bin.

    I know, I use lots of it to make my own fake meat.