Too much garlic

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Johnny Dividas wrote:
> > Oh, and BTW... there's no such thing as too much garlic. ;-)

> I agree but what about the others who have to sit next to someone
> who ate so much garlic that it is coming out of the pores of the skin?
> Not breath, but the skin! At least I am antibacterial if I ate so much
> garlic.

That would be me, I think...since I eat a *lot* of garlic! On the bright
side, I will never be bothered by vampires...and oddly, I can't remember the
last time I had a mosquito bite.

Seriously, has anyone else noticed as they get older that the mosquitoes
bother them less? I can't even claim age - I'm only 44 - and last summer
when my BF and his folks were getting eaten alive...nary a one touched me!
The only thing I've come up with to explain this is garlic!

Lisa Ann

"Lisa Ann" <[email protected]> wrote

> <[email protected]> wrote

>> I agree but what about the others who have to sit next to someone
>> who ate so much garlic that it is coming out of the pores of the skin?
>> Not breath, but the skin! At least I am antibacterial if I ate so much
>> garlic.

> That would be me, I think...since I eat a *lot* of garlic! On the bright
> side, I will never be bothered by vampires...and oddly, I can't remember
> the
> last time I had a mosquito bite.
>
> Seriously, has anyone else noticed as they get older that the mosquitoes
> bother them less? I can't even claim age - I'm only 44 - and last summer
> when my BF and his folks were getting eaten alive...nary a one touched me!
> The only thing I've come up with to explain this is garlic!

(laughing) Suddenly I'm reminded of the rfc retirement home we
were planning. Place would be mosquito free! All us garlic eaters, we'd
probably clear the county!

nancy

Lisa Ann wrote:

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Johnny Dividas wrote:
>> > Oh, and BTW... there's no such thing as too much garlic. ;-)

>> I agree but what about the others who have to sit next to someone
>> who ate so much garlic that it is coming out of the pores of the skin?
>> Not breath, but the skin! At least I am antibacterial if I ate so much
>> garlic.
>>

> That would be me, I think...since I eat a *lot* of garlic! On the bright
> side, I will never be bothered by vampires...and oddly, I can't remember the
> last time I had a mosquito bite.
>
> Seriously, has anyone else noticed as they get older that the mosquitoes
> bother them less? I can't even claim age - I'm only 44 - and last summer
> when my BF and his folks were getting eaten alive...nary a one touched me!
> The only thing I've come up with to explain this is garlic!
>
> Lisa Ann

I've never been bothered by mosquitoes. A mosquito bite on me is rare enough
that it freaks me out a bit.

David and I went camping with his family in the Boundary Waters this last
summer and they were attacked constantly by the mosquitoes and biting flies
and I ended up with one bite mark on my shin.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com

[email protected] wrote:
> Johnny Dividas wrote:
>> Oh, and BTW... there's no such thing as too much garlic. ;-)

> I agree but what about the others who have to sit next to someone
> who ate so much garlic that it is coming out of the pores of the skin?
> Not breath, but the skin! At least I am antibacterial if I ate so much
> garlic.

She's in her own house... the only people she is sitting next to live there.
Besides, I'd rather smell garlic than B.O. or an overwhelming stench of
perfume.

Jill

Lisa Ann wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Johnny Dividas wrote:
>>> Oh, and BTW... there's no such thing as too much garlic. ;-)

>> I agree but what about the others who have to sit next to someone
>> who ate so much garlic that it is coming out of the pores of the
>> skin? Not breath, but the skin! At least I am antibacterial if I ate
>> so much garlic.
>>

> That would be me, I think...since I eat a *lot* of garlic! On the
> bright side, I will never be bothered by vampires...and oddly, I
> can't remember the last time I had a mosquito bite.
>
> Seriously, has anyone else noticed as they get older that the
> mosquitoes bother them less? I can't even claim age - I'm only 44 -
> and last summer when my BF and his folks were getting eaten
> alive...nary a one touched me! The only thing I've come up with to
> explain this is garlic!
>
> Lisa Ann

I don't know that it has much to do with garlic, although it might. But
I've never really been bothered by mosquitos and my mom is always eaten
alive by them. I'm at the same age she was when we used to sit outside when
I was a teen/young adult. They didn't bother me; they bugged the heck out
of her. I think it has something to do with body chemistry. But again,
garlic might influence that.

Jill

In article <[email protected]>,
"salgud" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "salgud" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > I love the smell of garlic. Can never have too much!
> > > When my kids were little, and I had joint custody after our divorce,
> > > they told me that when the got into her car in the morning after I
> > > fixed spagetti the night before, she'd look at them and say,"Your
> > > father made spagetti last night, didn't he?"
> > > I nearly always double the garlic called for in recipes, sometimes even
> > > more. And my favorite Italian restaurant here in Denver has a sign over
> > > the door, "If you don't like garlic, go away!"

> > And you will most likely live longer....... :)

> I intend to anyway, just to **** all my friends and family off!

<lol!>
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"salgud" <[email protected]> wrote:

> serene wrote:

> > >I intend to anyway, just to **** all my friends and family off!

> > My friends and family will be thrilled if I live a long, happy life.
> > Maybe you need new friends. ;-)

> I'm very happy for you! In my case, it's not my friends, it's me. I
> need a personality transplant, but can't afford it. :)
>

> > serene

Meditation...
or mushrooms if you need a shortcut. ;-)
--

"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > But, I honestly don't find it unpleasant.
> > Might be a childhood memory. We had two very good
> > Italian freinds when I was a small child. They
> > always smelled of garlic, but there are so many
> > good memories associated with that smell, I guess
> > I don't find it to be bad?????

> Sometimes people don't smell so good when they eat too much
> garlic, but the garlic smell itself, I love. One time I had a bad
> dream, something really ranked, what a stink. Woke up, it
> was me sweating out garlic. Garlic bread at some fancy
> Italian restaurant ... it was great but ... WHEW!
>
> nancy

<lol>
Got up and took a shower????
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote

> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Sometimes people don't smell so good when they eat too much
>> garlic, but the garlic smell itself, I love. One time I had a bad
>> dream, something really ranked, what a stink. Woke up, it
>> was me sweating out garlic. Garlic bread at some fancy
>> Italian restaurant ... it was great but ... WHEW!

> <lol>
> Got up and took a shower????

Took my nose outta my armpit, that's for sure! (laugh)

Peeee UUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

Pretty bad to stink so bad you wake yourself up.

nancy

In article <[email protected]>,
"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Lisa Ann wrote:
> > <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> >> I agree but what about the others who have to sit next to someone
> >> who ate so much garlic that it is coming out of the pores of the
> >> skin? Not breath, but the skin! At least I am antibacterial if I ate
> >> so much garlic.
> >>

> > That would be me, I think...since I eat a *lot* of garlic! On the
> > bright side, I will never be bothered by vampires...and oddly, I
> > can't remember the last time I had a mosquito bite.
> >
> > Seriously, has anyone else noticed as they get older that the
> > mosquitoes bother them less? I can't even claim age - I'm only 44 -
> > and last summer when my BF and his folks were getting eaten
> > alive...nary a one touched me! The only thing I've come up with to
> > explain this is garlic!
> >
> > Lisa Ann

> I don't know that it has much to do with garlic, although it might. But
> I've never really been bothered by mosquitos and my mom is always eaten
> alive by them. I'm at the same age she was when we used to sit outside when
> I was a teen/young adult. They didn't bother me; they bugged the heck out
> of her. I think it has something to do with body chemistry. But again,
> garlic might influence that.
>
> Jill

Garlic will influence that, but so will Estrogen levels.....
I was taught in school that that was why women were bothered more than
men.

Spray a rock or a log with Estrogen and mosquitos will go crazy trying
to bite it! Koke showed us a film demonstrating that.
--

The Bubbo wrote:
> aem wrote:
>
>>Kathy wrote:
>>
>>>I noticed a thread about bread machines a few weeks
>>>back but I didn't read it cause I didn't have one.
>>>Now I do. I haven't used it yet but I did read some
>>>of the book that came with it. It warned about
>>>adding too much garlic or cinnamon. It also told me
>>>I have to buy special flour.(after I went and
>>>bought a jar of yeast and some measuring spoons)
>>>Will it still work with regular unbleached flour? I
>>>haven't made bread since the 70's and never used a
>>>fancy machine like this. I'm a little intimidated
>>>but anxious to try it out. What are the _REAL_
>>>do's and don'ts?
>>>

>>Bread flour has more gluten than AP flour. If you have a lot of AP
>>flour you want to use up, go get some gluten flour to mix with it for
>>bread. Otherwise, save the AP flour for general use and get some bread
>>flour for your machine. The point of the higher gluten is that it
>>gives you better rise and better texture for your bread. -aem
>>

> oh, also, if you go get wheat gluten to mix in with your flour, get it from
> the bulk bin not the box in the baking aisle. It's so much cheaper in the bin.
>
> I know, I use lots of it to make my own fake meat.

Would you post a recipe for the fake meat?
I use Morning Star farms crumbles for chili with great results. Does
your recipe make something similar in texture?

Thanks,

patrice

patrice wrote:

> The Bubbo wrote:
>> aem wrote:

>>>Bread flour has more gluten than AP flour. If you have a lot of AP
>>>flour you want to use up, go get some gluten flour to mix with it for
>>>bread. Otherwise, save the AP flour for general use and get some bread
>>>flour for your machine. The point of the higher gluten is that it
>>>gives you better rise and better texture for your bread. -aem
>>>

>> oh, also, if you go get wheat gluten to mix in with your flour, get it from
>> the bulk bin not the box in the baking aisle. It's so much cheaper in the

bin.

>> I know, I use lots of it to make my own fake meat.

> Would you post a recipe for the fake meat?
> I use Morning Star farms crumbles for chili with great results. Does
> your recipe make something similar in texture?
>
> Thanks,
>
> patrice

I'll post it tomorrow, it's kind of involved.
It's not initially like the crumbles, it cooks up in slabs and can be sliced
though I have thrown it through the meat grinder with great success.

--

Lisa Ann wrote:

> That would be me, I think...since I eat a *lot* of garlic! On the bright
> side, I will never be bothered by vampires...and oddly, I can't remember the
> last time I had a mosquito bite.
>
> Seriously, has anyone else noticed as they get older that the mosquitoes
> bother them less? I can't even claim age - I'm only 44 - and last summer
> when my BF and his folks were getting eaten alive...nary a one touched me!
> The only thing I've come up with to explain this is garlic!
>
> Lisa Ann

We eat garlic every day but my DH is *plagued* by mosquitoes. If there
is one in a 50 mile radius, it will find him. So I am not sure garlic
is the entire cure-all.
-L.

-L. wrote:
> Lisa Ann wrote:
> >
> > That would be me, I think...since I eat a *lot* of garlic! On the bright
> > side, I will never be bothered by vampires...and oddly, I can't remember the
> > last time I had a mosquito bite.
> >
> > Seriously, has anyone else noticed as they get older that the mosquitoes
> > bother them less? I can't even claim age - I'm only 44 - and last summer
> > when my BF and his folks were getting eaten alive...nary a one touched me!
> > The only thing I've come up with to explain this is garlic!
> >
> > Lisa Ann

> We eat garlic every day but my DH is *plagued* by mosquitoes. If there
> is one in a 50 mile radius, it will find him. So I am not sure garlic
> is the entire cure-all.

Ticks love my wife, but generally leave me alone. Exactly opposite for
mosquitos.

> -L.

--Bryan

BoboBonobo wrote:
> -L. wrote:
> > Lisa Ann wrote:
> > >
> > > That would be me, I think...since I eat a *lot* of garlic! On the bright
> > > side, I will never be bothered by vampires...and oddly, I can't remember the
> > > last time I had a mosquito bite.
> > >
> > > Seriously, has anyone else noticed as they get older that the mosquitoes
> > > bother them less? I can't even claim age - I'm only 44 - and last summer
> > > when my BF and his folks were getting eaten alive...nary a one touched me!
> > > The only thing I've come up with to explain this is garlic!
> > >
> > > Lisa Ann

> > We eat garlic every day but my DH is *plagued* by mosquitoes. If there
> > is one in a 50 mile radius, it will find him. So I am not sure garlic
> > is the entire cure-all.

> Ticks love my wife, but generally leave me alone. Exactly opposite for
> mosquitos.
>
> > -L.

> --Bryan

I used to tell my second wife that's why I married her, the mosquitos
liked her best!

jmcquown wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Johnny Dividas wrote:
> >> Oh, and BTW... there's no such thing as too much garlic. ;-)

> > I agree but what about the others who have to sit next to someone
> > who ate so much garlic that it is coming out of the pores of the skin?
> > Not breath, but the skin! At least I am antibacterial if I ate so much
> > garlic.

> She's in her own house... the only people she is sitting next to live there.
> Besides, I'd rather smell garlic than B.O. or an overwhelming stench of
> perfume.
>
> Jill

A very good point. And I am not allergic to garlic but quite a few
perfumes and after shaves set off my asthma. It is hard to believe
one could have too much garlic
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Nancy Young wrote:
> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Sometimes people don't smell so good when they eat too much
> >> garlic, but the garlic smell itself, I love. One time I had a bad
> >> dream, something really ranked, what a stink. Woke up, it
> >> was me sweating out garlic. Garlic bread at some fancy
> >> Italian restaurant ... it was great but ... WHEW!

> > <lol>
> > Got up and took a shower????

> Took my nose outta my armpit, that's for sure! (laugh)
>
> Peeee UUUUUUUUUUUUUU.
>
> Pretty bad to stink so bad you wake yourself up.

You have forever changed the image I had in my mind of you .... ;-)
-aem

"aem" <[email protected]> wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> Pretty bad to stink so bad you wake yourself up.
>>

> You have forever changed the image I had in my mind of you .... ;-)

(laugh!) Don't worry, I take a shower every other Sunday, and
once a week, I brush my tooth.

nancy

salgud wrote:
> BoboBonobo wrote:
> > -L. wrote:

> > > We eat garlic every day but my DH is *plagued* by mosquitoes. If there
> > > is one in a 50 mile radius, it will find him. So I am not sure garlic
> > > is the entire cure-all.

> > Ticks love my wife, but generally leave me alone. Exactly opposite for
> > mosquitos.
> >
> > > -L.

> > --Bryan

> I used to tell my second wife that's why I married her, the mosquitos
> liked her best!

I'm lucky in one way. Where we go camping there are a lot of ticks and
virtually no mosquitos.

--Bryan