Too Much Money?

Actually, I think the guy rides the non-aero F1 FRD version. Still tricked out and spendy.

They charge what they can get for it, it is a pro-level race machine. Pros (sponsors) are willing to spend $$$$ for fractions of a second of improvement. Professional level motorcycles and automobiles likely have astronomical prices compared to consumer, amateur level gear.

Personally, my bikes are all parts-bin pieced together contraptions and serve my needs fine.

Reactions: sylvia_louise
I often stop at a cafe for a milkshake and cake during my long rides, basically need to fuel my body for the 25km+ return leg. My bike gets lots of attention from other riders at the cafe, it makes me feel good about myself. A 10 grand bike is the best money i've ever spent, there is no way I could return to riding a lesser machine. The jokers on pov pack 6 grand bikes make me laugh, like are they for real?

A $13K racing bicycle can be found under:

1. Professional riders so freaky fast they get multiples of that machine given to them every year they can go fast enough to sustain a contract.

2. Semi-pro's that are given one or loaned one and have team-owned backups as spares.

3. Wealthy enthusiasts of the sport. They never enter a bike that pricey in a race. Because 99.9% of them do not race. Most of these wealthy riders are slow. A few are fast. You will find a very, very few number of bikes in this price range making dramatic and grand appearances on weekend club rides and we all drop our jaws and slobber when they appear. You can bet your last bottle of Liquid Gold Carnauba Wax that they only come out on sunny days with zero percent chance of rain.

CAMPYBOB said:
A $13K racing bicycle can be found under:

1. Professional riders so freaky fast they get multiples of that machine given to them every year they can go fast enough to sustain a contract.

2. Semi-pro's that are given one or loaned one and have team-owned backups as spares.

3. Wealthy enthusiasts of the sport. They never enter a bike that pricey in a race. Because 99.9% of them do not race. Most of these wealthy riders are slow. A few are fast. You will find a very, very few number of bikes in this price range making dramatic and grand appearances on weekend club rides and we all drop our jaws and slobber when they appear. You can bet your last bottle of Liquid Gold Carnauba Wax that they only come out on sunny days with zero percent chance of rain.
Aha, good summary. You hit all the possibilities of why and who most likely owns one of these bikes. Best line ever, "You can bet your last bottle of Liquid Gold Carnauba Wax that they only come out on sunny days with zero percent chance of rain."

I am really going to ask my uncle, a fanatic cyclist and his friends, their thoughts on this bike for my last comment here, to feel like I have done all my "research" on this interesting, expensive model of a bike. He has a dry sense of humor, and sure not to disappoint, as many of the other posters here.

ya can't buy souplesse.

It is a free country, if you have it and want it. Buy it. I would never spend $13k for an off the rack bike.

I felt sorry for a super bike that four of us passed towards the end of a 200k recently. The rider was decked out in an Assos Cronosuit, full time trial helmet, aero bars, rear disc, and he was stomping and grinding that 50x16 as we somewhat leisurely cruised past at a full 35 kpm riding side by side. On the other hand, I hope the TT wannabe had a nice ride and enjoys his phenomenal machine.

My bikes are not safe queens; they get wet, dirty, and nasty.......the bikes get used hard.

I did buy the Felt AR frame to build as I want using parts I have. I decided to pin the crumpled number again....after more than 20 years. I could give two ***** about the bike if I crash it in a Crit.

sylvia_louise said:
Aha, good summary. You hit all the possibilities of why and who most likely owns one of these bikes. Best line ever, "You can bet your last bottle of Liquid Gold Carnauba Wax that they only come out on sunny days with zero percent chance of rain."

I am really going to ask my uncle, a fanatic cyclist and his friends, their thoughts on this bike for my last comment here, to feel like I have done all my "research" on this interesting, expensive model of a bike. He has a dry sense of humor, and sure not to disappoint, as many of the other posters here.
This is how he explained it to me, in terms I would understand (he knows I know my cars lol)

"The bike is made out of unobtainium. Note if I had that bike it would be like having a Volkswagen engine powering a Ferrari frame."

Now I have a better grasp of this bike. But, yeah, who I am to judge what kind of bike someone buys or rides on. I swear, I look like the witch from the Wizard of Oz when I am out riding on leisurely daily bike ride with my flea market 3-speed. But, I enjoy myself, keep healthy, and give a good laugh to the other cyclists out there, my daughter included - all in a days work. lol

Quote by ambal:
"The jokers on pov pack 6 grand bikes make me laugh, like are they for real?"

wut?

ambal said:
I often stop at a cafe for a milkshake and cake during my long rides, basically need to fuel my body for the 25km+ return leg. My bike gets lots of attention from other riders at the cafe, it makes me feel good about myself. A 10 grand bike is the best money i've ever spent, there is no way I could return to riding a lesser machine. The jokers on pov pack 6 grand bikes make me laugh, like are they for real?
You do realize 25km out and back is only a 31 mile ride? Why do you need to eat? Milkshake and cake would be enough fuel for 100+ miles. Just sayin...can't buy legs.