Too Much Sleep

Madasu

Guest
I'm slowly increasing my miles, currently up to around the 40 mark. The trouble is that I end up
sleeping for 13 to 14 hours that evening. Is it diet, fitness, or just old age at 43? Any one
any ideas?

--
Mad

"Madasu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> I'm slowly increasing my miles, currently up to around the 40 mark. The trouble is that I end up
> sleeping for 13 to 14 hours that evening. Is it diet, fitness, or just old age at 43? Any one
> any ideas?

With me it's just the surprise, my body isn't used to it soit tries to take a bit more time
to recover.

If I do it regularly I don't have any lasting tiredness, it only takes a few sessions
close together.

Madasu <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm slowly increasing my miles, currently up to around the 40 mark. The trouble is that I end up
> sleeping for 13 to 14 hours that evening. Is it diet, fitness, or just old age at 43? Any one
> any ideas?

Certainly not old age. It's probably just a healthy response to the increase in your mileage.

--
Dave...

In news:[email protected], Madasu <[email protected]> typed:
> I'm slowly increasing my miles, currently up to around the 40 mark. The trouble is that I end up
> sleeping for 13 to 14 hours that evening. Is it diet, fitness, or just old age at 43? Any one
> any ideas?

Go and have a check up at the doctors. He can screen out things like anaemia which could contribute
to your tiredness.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Madasu <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I'm slowly increasing my miles, currently up to around the 40 mark. The trouble is that I end up
> > sleeping for 13 to 14 hours that evening. Is
it
> > diet, fitness, or just old age at 43? Any one any ideas?
>
> Certainly not old age. It's probably just a healthy response to the increase in your mileage.

yep... I saw one of those media mangled "scientific discovery" things that concluded that sleep was
more important than exercise, so keep it up!

(No doubt comparing a lot of atheletes who do many hours a day anyway)

In news:[email protected], W K <[email protected]> typed:

> yep... I saw one of those media mangled "scientific discovery" things that concluded that sleep
> was more important than exercise, so keep it up!

Alternatively "There'll be plenty of time to sleep when you're dead" (Anon)

Tony ;-)

--
http://www.raven-family.com

news:<[email protected]>...
> In news:[email protected], Madasu <[email protected]> typed:
> > I'm slowly increasing my miles, currently up to around the 40 mark. The trouble is that I end up
> > sleeping for 13 to 14 hours that evening. Is it diet, fitness, or just old age at 43? Any one
> > any ideas?
>
> Go and have a check up at the doctors. He can screen out things like anaemia which could
> contribute to your tiredness.

Becoming tired and needing more sleep is a well established natural response to an increase in
physical workload. I do not think it's a good idea to take this to your doctor provided the need for
extra sleep is clearly correlated with a recent significant increase in exercise. If the tiredness
is causing genuine problems, for example it might not be wise to fall asleep at your job as a lorry
driver, lathe operator or radio presenter, or sleeping for 14 hours is causing family problems, I
would scale back the training a bit before seeking medical advice.

If the sleepiness persists after several weeks, and particularly if you do not feel refreshed after
a long night's sleep then I would agree with Tony that it's a good idea to have it properly
investigated.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, just some bloke on the Internet.

--
Dave...

In news:[email protected], Dave Kahn <[email protected]> typed:
> "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>

> If the sleepiness persists after several weeks, and particularly if you do not feel refreshed
> after a long night's sleep then I would agree with Tony that it's a good idea to have it properly
> investigated.

An increase in exercise does take time to adjust to but it can also bring out underlying problems
that may not manifest themselves strongly in a less active lifestyle - anaemia, diabetes, heart etc.
Also if you are starting exercise anew its not a bad idea to have a quick checkover from the GP
first. They generally do not mind so I would suggest its better to have a checkup before you start
than sometime downstream when problems are persisting.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

On Mon, 5 May 2003 23:02:10 +0100, Madasu went and written:

> I'm slowly increasing my miles, currently up to around the 40 mark. The trouble is that I end up
> sleeping for 13 to 14 hours that evening. Is it diet, fitness, or just old age at 43? Any one
> any ideas?

Thanks everybody.

I think I'll keep at my current miles for a few weeks and see if there's any improvement.

--
Mad

On Mon, 5 May 2003 23:02:10 +0100, Madasu <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm slowly increasing my miles, currently up to around the 40 mark. The trouble is that I end up
>sleeping for 13 to 14 hours that evening. Is it diet, fitness, or just old age at 43? Any one
>any ideas?

Hi Mad

Firstly: The almost compulsory and inevitable disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.

I suffer from both insomnia and whatever its opposite is called. Basically, I have great trouble in
controlling my sleep. Some days/nights I'll go to bed and not fall asleep for six or more hours. At
other times I'll go to bed, fall as;eep immediately and not wake up for 24, 36 or even 48 hours.
This is because of an injury I had very approximately 14 years, 4 days, 5 hours and 18 minutes ago -
at the time of writing that sentence ;-)

However, when I do cycle regularly and for reasonably long distances - and I haven't recently - I do
notice that my sleep pattern is much improved. After good exersise every day over a period of a
little as four or five days I always find that my sleep becomes more normal.

I obviously feel tired in my muscles if I have overexerted myself, but as far as sleep is concerned
- and this is the root of your question - I feel much, much better.

Finally, I'm 38. Also, consulting you doctor is never a bad idea if you have not done much exercise
for a while. As others have implied, there may be an underlying problem.

Regards and good luck James

PS Time correction: 38 minutes ;-)

In news:[email protected], Danny Colyer <[email protected]> typed:
> Tony Raven quoted:
>> Alternatively "There'll be plenty of time to sleep when you're dead" (Anon)
>
> Bon Jovi. Or near enough: "I'm gonna live while I'm alive, I'll sleep when I'm dead."

Or Grateful Dead or the man in the Bond film or a range of others who may either have come up with
it but probably just repeated it.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

Madasu <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Mon, 5 May 2003 23:02:10 +0100, Madasu went and written:
>

> > I'm slowly increasing my miles, currently up to around the 40 mark. The trouble is that I end up
> > sleeping for 13 to 14 hours that evening. Is it diet, fitness, or just old age at 43? Any one
> > any ideas?
>
> Thanks everybody.
>
> I think I'll keep at my current miles for a few weeks and see if there's any improvement.

Hi You don,t say how many times a week you do your 40 miles. As a 42 year old I find improving
fitness takes longer these days than it used to. I sleep longer (and better) after exercise. Make
sure you are taking enough rest days. If you only cycle once or twice a week then another shorter
ride even 10 or 20 miles would maybe help. cheers Iain