too much up top

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by brad5379, Jun 4, 2006.

1. brad5379

brad5379 New Member

I am 6' 3" and 185. I have a lot of muscle up top and have noticed that i am a lot bigger than the other expert racers. What is the best way to get rid of all the excess up top and to trim down.

Tags:

2. wh0areume

wh0areume New Member

If you're referring to fat, there's no way to spot-reduce, so you'll have to just reduce you're bodyfat through diet and exercise.

If you're referring to muscle mass, stop hitting the weights with your upper body and focus on your legs via squats, stiff leg dead lifts, etc..

3. UNF_Chaz

UNF_Chaz New Member

Swimming

4. wh0areume

wh0areume New Member

what about it?

5. FrankBattle

FrankBattle New Member

If you're anything like me, it will take what seems like FOREVER. I get big quickly if I even think about touching weights. I stopped doing anything that could remotely make me bigger up top almost 2 years ago, I am still bigger than many. I'm 6' 3" and 190 with wide shoulders and a 44 inch chest. Waist is 32 inches.

In short, stop doing push-ups, pull-ups, bench presses, dumbbell presses etc. The most I do is a TON of curls with no more than 12-15 lbs.

At 75 inches and 185 lbs, I doubt you have much fat on you anyway ..

I am still "getting rid of" excess muscle though I stopped lifting anything to speak of over 1.5 years ago. I still like to be toned, so I stick with really light weights and oodles of reps.

Have some patience.

6. wilmar13

wilmar13 New Member

Here is a thread with a similar theme, with a few ideas (but not much).
    http://www.cyclingforums.com/t337409.html

7. UNF_Chaz

UNF_Chaz New Member

I am 6'1" @ 169lbs right now. If you were to weigh me in during december, I would have weighed anywhere between 180-185lbs. I dropped the weights and hit the pool. I didn't go to the pool everyday, more like 3/4 days a week early in the morning. All I usually do is about a 1/2 hour of 'free style' laps and get some breakfast after. I do this just about every year before summer comes because I dont have time to work out and bike at the same time, so I slim down (nicely toned) from the swimming. Works for me, but not everyone is the same, but I definetly think swimming is worth a shot to help loss some upper body mass.

8. wh0areume

wh0areume New Member

Double your cycling sessions, and slightly cut your calories.
    If you stop working your upper body and do intense biking sessions instead, your leg muscles will get stronger and your upper body will slim down (because you're not training those muscles)

This is the best solution for your problem - it's that simple.