Too much water?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Rob, Mar 29, 2005.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Hey all,

    I was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is such a thing as drinking
    too much water a day? I know the recommendation is at least 64 oz, but can
    you drink too much?

    Just wondering...

    Rob

    Tags:

  2. warehouse

    warehouse Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is such a thing as

    drinking
    > too much water a day? I know the recommendation is at least 64 oz,

    but can
    > you drink too much?
    >
    > Just wondering...
    >
    > Rob

    yes

  3. " was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is such a thing as
    drinking
    too much water a day? I know the recommendation is at least 64 oz, but
    can
    you drink too much? "

    Yes, you can in fact kill yourself if you drink excessive water, though
    it's pretty hard to do, as you'd really have to force yourself. Too
    much causes brain swelling and electrolyte imbalances. There have been
    documented cases of it occurring.

    As for the 64 Oz recommendation, there was a news article last year on
    that. Researchers went back and tried to find what it was based on,
    studies, etc. They found zippo. It's just something passed down as
    fact, without any real basis. For those on the early stages of a LC
    diet, I think it is important to drink plenty of water to help flush
    the fat breakdown byproducts out of the system. For the average
    person, simply drinking when you feel like it or are thirsty should be
    fine.

  4. DJ Delorie

    DJ Delorie Guest

    The best advice I've seen wrt water amounts, is to drink enough such
    that you have 5 or so "clear" urinations per day. Less water (thus
    darker urine) means you're not fully hydrated, but more would be of
    little benefit.

  5. Bunky42

    Bunky42 Guest

    Perdu wrote:
    > On 29 Mar 2005 06:24:34 -0800, "[email protected]"
    > <[email protected]> said :
    >

    >>" was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is such a thing as
    >>drinking
    >>too much water a day? I know the recommendation is at least 64 oz, but
    >>can
    >>you drink too much? "
    >>

    >>Yes, you can in fact kill yourself if you drink excessive water, though
    >>it's pretty hard to do, as you'd really have to force yourself. Too
    >>much causes brain swelling and electrolyte imbalances. There have been
    >>documented cases of it occurring.
    >>
    >>As for the 64 Oz recommendation, there was a news article last year on
    >>that. Researchers went back and tried to find what it was based on,
    >>studies, etc. They found zippo. It's just something passed down as
    >>fact, without any real basis. For those on the early stages of a LC
    >>diet, I think it is important to drink plenty of water to help flush
    >>the fat breakdown byproducts out of the system. For the average
    >>person, simply drinking when you feel like it or are thirsty should be
    >>fine.

    > Well agreed. I had found no evidence of drinking a lot of water being in
    > any way helpful. Claims had been made you lose faster, and so on. I do
    > agree during induction to step it up. And when you are in a real hot place,
    > like Arizona during a heat wave, to load up on water beyond a bit perhaps
    > of what you feel you need.
    >
    > But in general - I believe it to be hogwash. I think the rumor may have
    > been started by a bathroom attendant in Vegas. More tips.

    I live in Las Vegas and can tell you it's not hogwash, especially to
    those who aren't acclimated to the heat. I’ve seen plenty of people drop
    at a taxi / shuttle bus stop out here. When I moved out here it took 3
    or 4 months for my lips to stop cracking and my nose to stop bleeding
    from being so dry. The low humidity and heat were sucking the moisture
    out of me. Once I increased my intake everything got much better.

    Health experts recommend that adults drink between six and eight 8-oz
    glasses of water per day. These needs would increase in hot and dry
    weather. Heat stroke and even death can result if as little as 10% of
    the body fluids are lost and not replaced orally or intravenously.

    My wife and I average 3) 5 gal bottles and 2-3) cases (16 ½ oz x 24
    bottles) of water every month during the summer. Any local can tell you
    they never go anywhere without a water bottle during the summer heat
    unless you are just plain stupid.

    http://www.thelatestmagazine.com/Articles/0604ChronicDehydration.htm

  6. Bunky42

    Bunky42 Guest

    Perdu wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:28:01 -0800, Bunky42 <[email protected]> said :
    >

    >>I live in Las Vegas and can tell you it's not hogwash, especially to
    >>those who aren't acclimated to the heat.

    > As I had mentioned, it is important in high heat areas. I had blacked out
    > once in 120 + heat in Phoenix, thinking I had hydrated myself enough. So I
    > remember that well. And I heed the warnings in the same type of conditions.
    >
    > But on the average, people pumping water over and above, is hogwash. Like
    > a poster here said, if your urine is clear, you do ok, but if you are
    > consistently dark, then you need to "thin" it out by drinking more.
    >
    > Perdu

    Didn't some research group feed rats high volumes and it caused cancer?

  7. Bunky42

    Bunky42 Guest

    Bunky42 wrote:
    > Perdu wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:28:01 -0800, Bunky42 <[email protected]>
    >> said :
    >>

    >>> I live in Las Vegas and can tell you it's not hogwash, especially to
    >>> those who aren't acclimated to the heat.

    >> As I had mentioned, it is important in high heat areas. I had blacked
    >> out
    >> once in 120 + heat in Phoenix, thinking I had hydrated myself enough.
    >> So I
    >> remember that well. And I heed the warnings in the same type of
    >> conditions.
    >>
    >> But on the average, people pumping water over and above, is hogwash.
    >> Like
    >> a poster here said, if your urine is clear, you do ok, but if you are
    >> consistently dark, then you need to "thin" it out by drinking more.
    >>
    >> Perdu

    > Didn't some research group feed rats high volumes and it caused cancer?

    Never mind it was chlorinated tap water that caused cancer in rats

  8. Bunky42

    Bunky42 Guest

    wombn wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:28:01 -0800, Bunky42 <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>http://www.thelatestmagazine.com/Articles/0604ChronicDehydration.htm

    > interesting article.

    I don't know what to think about the article. But I do know that living
    out here in the desert I feel it if I let my intake decrease below the
    8-10 glasses a day(approx.). I fall out of ketosis and get nasty
    headaches too. As with everything it may just be the way my body reacts.
    YMMV

  9. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 16:52:25 -0500, Roger Zoul <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > DJ Delorie wrote:
    > :: The best advice I've seen wrt water amounts, is to drink enough such
    > :: that you have 5 or so "clear" urinations per day. Less water (thus
    > :: darker urine) means you're not fully hydrated, but more would be of
    > :: little benefit.
    >
    > I wonder what the basis of this argument is. I know it came from Lyle M,
    > but who says that the color of urine determines one's hydration level?

    Especially if one does not take supplements. Or perhaps does.

    --
    Bob in CT

  10. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    DJ Delorie wrote:
    :: The best advice I've seen wrt water amounts, is to drink enough such
    :: that you have 5 or so "clear" urinations per day. Less water (thus
    :: darker urine) means you're not fully hydrated, but more would be of
    :: little benefit.

    I wonder what the basis of this argument is. I know it came from Lyle M,
    but who says that the color of urine determines one's hydration level?

  11. Harold Groot

    Harold Groot Guest

    On 29 Mar 2005 12:20:01 -0500, DJ Delorie <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The best advice I've seen wrt water amounts, is to drink enough such
    >that you have 5 or so "clear" urinations per day. Less water (thus
    >darker urine) means you're not fully hydrated, but more would be of
    >little benefit.

    One should also take into account that there are things that will
    significantly add color to urine. One of the B vitamins (I forget
    which one offhand) will add significantly to the color of your urine.
    Depending on the strength of the supplement it can turn a clear stream
    to pale yellow, moderate yellow or bright yellow. This does not mean
    that you are suddenly dehydrated. If you are taking a strong
    B-Vitamin complex and try to drink enough water to get clear urine you
    will likely be drinking too much water and upset your electrolyte
    balance.

  12. i think it was 7/11 with the 64oz big gulp that started it all.
    yep,yep

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >" was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is such a thing as
    >drinking
    >too much water a day? I know the recommendation is at least 64 oz, but
    >can
    >you drink too much? "
    >

    >Yes, you can in fact kill yourself if you drink excessive water, though
    >it's pretty hard to do, as you'd really have to force yourself. Too
    >much causes brain swelling and electrolyte imbalances. There have been
    >documented cases of it occurring.
    >
    >As for the 64 Oz recommendation, there was a news article last year on
    >that. Researchers went back and tried to find what it was based on,
    >studies, etc. They found zippo. It's just something passed down as
    >fact, without any real basis. For those on the early stages of a LC
    >diet, I think it is important to drink plenty of water to help flush
    >the fat breakdown byproducts out of the system. For the average
    >person, simply drinking when you feel like it or are thirsty should be
    >fine.

  13. DJ Delorie

    DJ Delorie Guest

    "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> writes:
    > I wonder what the basis of this argument is. I know it came from Lyle M,
    > but who says that the color of urine determines one's hydration level?

    It doesn't determine it, it's an indicator. At least, you know if you
    have enough clear ones, that your body is dumping excess water.

    It's certainly better than assigning an arbitrary number of ounces to
    each person, and hoping it's the right amount ;-)

  14. You haven't gotten into good enough shape to make any claims based on
    experience.

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

    "Perdu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On 29 Mar 2005 06:24:34 -0800, "[email protected]"
    > <[email protected]> said :
    >
    >> " was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is such a thing as
    >> drinking
    >> too much water a day? I know the recommendation is at least 64 oz, but
    >> can
    >> you drink too much? "
    >>

    >> Yes, you can in fact kill yourself if you drink excessive water, though
    >> it's pretty hard to do, as you'd really have to force yourself. Too
    >> much causes brain swelling and electrolyte imbalances. There have been
    >> documented cases of it occurring.
    >>
    >> As for the 64 Oz recommendation, there was a news article last year on
    >> that. Researchers went back and tried to find what it was based on,
    >> studies, etc. They found zippo. It's just something passed down as
    >> fact, without any real basis. For those on the early stages of a LC
    >> diet, I think it is important to drink plenty of water to help flush
    >> the fat breakdown byproducts out of the system. For the average
    >> person, simply drinking when you feel like it or are thirsty should be
    >> fine.

    > Well agreed. I had found no evidence of drinking a lot of water being in
    > any way helpful. Claims had been made you lose faster, and so on. I do
    > agree during induction to step it up. And when you are in a real hot
    > place,
    > like Arizona during a heat wave, to load up on water beyond a bit perhaps
    > of what you feel you need.
    >
    > But in general - I believe it to be hogwash. I think the rumor may have
    > been started by a bathroom attendant in Vegas. More tips.

  15. Jim Bard

    Jim Bard Guest

    I think it's a matter of common sense. The more water you drink in
    comparison to other beverages, the more your kidneys will love you.

    Everyone can sit around and bandy the advantages or disadvantages of
    drinking water.

    If someone deprives their body of foods containing electorlytes, namely
    sodium and potasssium, I can see a problem. It won't happen overnight, but
    over a few years. The human body is resiliant to change, and will continue
    for a long while in abcesnce of essential nutrients.

    People who want to modify their diets should take serious interest in the
    consequences, that's all. Make sure you know what you are doing.

  16. Myra

    Myra Guest

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:16:53 GMT, "Rob" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hey all,
    >
    >I was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is such a thing as drinking
    >too much water a day? I know the recommendation is at least 64 oz, but can
    >you drink too much?

    There is such a thing as water poisoning, but you're very unlikely to
    suffer from it unless you drink *gallonS* of water a day.

    I usually drink 3-4 liters a day. And I started doing that years
    before I began to low carb.

    Myra

  17. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    DJ Delorie wrote:
    :: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> writes:
    ::: I wonder what the basis of this argument is. I know it came from
    ::: Lyle M, but who says that the color of urine determines one's
    ::: hydration level?
    ::
    :: It doesn't determine it, it's an indicator. At least, you know if
    :: you have enough clear ones, that your body is dumping excess water.

    If getting clear urine requires you drink more water than you want, is that
    good? Is having to dump excess water good?

    ::
    :: It's certainly better than assigning an arbitrary number of ounces to
    :: each person, and hoping it's the right amount ;-)

    Well, I don't disagree with that.

    Having clear pee does make me feel good about my pee, though :) I wonder if
    I need some lab work done that requires pee, if clear pee would be as good a
    pee with color? Hmm....

  18. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    DJ Delorie wrote:
[...]

  19. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Jim Bard wrote:
    :: I think it's a matter of common sense. The more water you drink in
    :: comparison to other beverages, the more your kidneys will love you.

    Why does common sense say that? If most of those beverages you're drinking
    that aren't water, contain water, and you're drinking enough, how can you
    say with any certainly that your kidneys love you any more than otherwise?
    The parts of those beverages that aren't water can be considered food, for
    example.

    ::
    :: Everyone can sit around and bandy the advantages or disadvantages of
    :: drinking water.
    ::
    :: If someone deprives their body of foods containing electorlytes,
    :: namely sodium and potasssium, I can see a problem. It won't happen
    :: overnight, but over a few years. The human body is resiliant to
    :: change, and will continue for a long while in abcesnce of essential
    :: nutrients.
    ::
    :: People who want to modify their diets should take serious interest
    :: in the consequences, that's all. Make sure you know what you are
    :: doing.

    How can one be sure one really knows what one is doing?

  20. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest