Too Old For Carbon! Too Young To Die! Any Steel Bikes Left?

Jaguar27 said:
This might seem like a Stupid question, but I haven't ridden a Steel Frame since I was 11, I'm 50 now...so, what is the difference between riding a steel Frame compared to a CF? Or CF/Alum or CF/ti mix?

I know People who do ride steel love them, I'd really like to try one myself, maybe that's the best way to find out?

How about a Steel/CF mix? I've just finished building this ---> Jamis Eclipse (eBay frame), Reynolds 853 steel with carbon fork and stays.... the best of both worlds. Great ride :)

Jamis01LR.jpg

I wouldn't mind a steel bike one day. Here in Aussieland there arn't many about and what does pop up isn't cheap and/or has a **** spec. There are a few custom builders here . Baum being one but their bottom of the line steel frame, carbon fork with headset is like two and a half grand !!

I ride steel,carbon, and aluminum road bikes. While I am far from a pro racer, I do ride about 4000 miles a year. At my level, the only difference I notice between the bikes is road feel and very slight differences in climbing. I usually ride my Specialized Alez carbon bike around town because it seems to absorb bumps better. I ride my aluminum frame bike to work, but I really like this frame the least. On weekends when we go for long road rides, I always grab my Colnago Super that I bought new in 1982. This steel bike just rides superb on long road rides. I guess what I am saying is pick what suits you.

It's tough to find a good steel bike at the lower price points. I think Jamis still offers a few. I agree with what DiabloScott said. You put in the miles. Treat yourself to a nice steel bike. I recommend a Rivendell but I'm completely biased.

There are a few nice old steel frames available on the secondhand/used market from time to time.

If you know what you're looking for and pick carefully you can build yourself up quite a nice bike for not very much (especially if you source your stuff from somewhere like probikekit).

Which is exactly what I'm in the process of doing.

fauxpas said:
Bianchi Pinella XL Boron '06

as posted here http://www.cyclingforums.com/t358904.html
I think that blows his price range out of the water...;)

I'd suggest looking into a frame with a compact geometry.
Don't mistake adjectives like "comfort" or "relaxed" for "cushy" and "slow".
My new c/f compact frame exceeded my expectations.

You might want to up you budget a little.
It would bring you to a level of greater options...;)
Try looking into a "grey market" frame set.

ffs1942 said:
Maybe I'm turning into my father, yet I throw all those AARP ads away(I'm 50 and trying to ignore it).

My last new bike was a Paramount GP2 in 92. An unknown force killed it in my basement and I got a used 85ish Schwinn Tempo in 96 or so. Carbon and aluminum road bikes in the $500 range (in 96)left me totally cold. They were dead, mushy and slow. The Tempo looks like a proper bike if you got your first 10 spd in 73. Artfully lugged Italian frame, swanlike Cinelli stem-YUM!

During RAGBRAI, this marriage of convenience turned to love. A perfect gear ratio, too narrow bars cause no ulnar pain and I hear the Biopace crank is good for knees. Replaced the wornout 22 yr old Brooks Team Pro with a pretty new one.Think I'll keep it forever or until my next severe crash crushes my Tempo and 85 Bell helmet.

Good non-steel bikes were slow in evolving. Remember the Kestrel, Teledyne Titan and the Original Plastic Bike? How about ENGLISH Raleighs, steel Paramounts, De Rosas and Colnagos.

Haven't seen ANY good steel bikes in the $500 and up range. Even the Schwinn Varsity is aluminum. The last Colnago I saw looked as old as my Tempo.

Are there any good steel bikes left? Have carbon and aluminum finally been perfected? Why does something as simple as a stem have to look like plumbing now?

Brian
Des Moines

PS-That title is from a Jethro Tull album.
E-Bay ..... There are some great steel vintage bikes in your price range. Raleigh Super Course from the 70's comes to mind..... I rode one on the first RAGBRAI they had. Of course it was called something else then. I rode a 531 steel bike on the third RAGBRAI and am still riding it.
I agree with alum/carbon.

What about secondhand? I just picked myself up a Carlton Kermesse which has a Reynolds 531 butted frame and forks for $100NZ. It needs restoration but I'm over the moon as a Carlton was way out of my price range when you could buy new. I see plenty of pedigree iron rigs on my local online auction. Spoilt for choice in some ways.

I am 46 years old, and the main reason I ride is for the work out. Heavy bikes = better work out.

I like steel frames. DeRosa still offers two steel frames, the Neo Primato, that uses lugged construction, and the Corum, that employs a TIG welding technique.

I just ordered a new Corum, built with '07 Campy Record components. I have a steel Derosa with C-Record that was purchased in '88 and a steel DeRosa track bike.

Steel is the true frame material. Carbon fiber frames are akin to digital audio; higher profit, marketing-driven techonology. Those looking for ultimate performance ride steel frames and listen to analog audio.

I currently have two Jamis bikes.
The coda sport hybrid and quest road bike.
both are very comfortable steel frames.

Lots of praises in the forums regarding jamis bikes

I have my fathers old Raleigh bobby bike that was great when I was a kid. I'm not sure if I should get it restored or sell it to someone that would enjoy it more than.