too polite automobile drivers.

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by bob syr, Jun 6, 2008.

  1. phoenixar

    phoenixar Guest

    On Jun 7, 7:09 am, Luke <[email protected]> wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, catzz66
    >

    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > bob syr wrote:

    > > > This is becoming a real problem; I suppose I should be thankful that
    > > > these folks and making an effort to be polite, but I am starting to
    > > > dread approaching intersections with all-way stop signs. Is there
    > > > some way we can advertise to auto drivers that their politeness is
    > > > welcome, but let's not be ridiculous with it?

    > > > Bob Syr

    > > When I first started riding, I was more rigid and would insist that
    > > motorists with the right of way drive on, but now I accept their
    > > generosity. Learn how to smile and give a friendly wave as you move on
    > > and it can become your default response. It doesn't make sense to me to
    > > do anything else. If someone is nice enough to wave me on, I
    > > acknowledge them with a smile and wave and then go.

    > I agree.
    >
    > To the OP: Habituate yourself to timing your arrival at 4 way stops in
    > order to let queued cars the opportunity to proceed prior to reaching
    > the intersection, then rolling on through when the way is clear. That's
    > definitely preferable to stopping and starting.
    >
    > And in the cases when you, the cyclist, and a car reach the
    > intersection simultaneously I recommend you take the initiative. Be
    > assertive: slow down but don't stop; make eye contact; signal with your
    > hands your direction (left, right, or straight through) then, if your
    > intent is acknowledged and the way is clear, roll on through.
    >
    > No it's not a complete stop but I find the operation, done correctly,
    > speeds everyone's passage through a 4 way stop, and is rarely begrudged
    > by motorists. What drivers often resent, rightly or not, is cyclists
    > conveying ambiguity or unnecessarily delaying them.

    Luke is right on! The idea is to speed everyone safely through the
    intersection, so you must time your arrival to the 4 way stop with the
    OP. That way, there is no ambiguity about who arrived first and
    should therefore go first.

    Just like the DMV guidebooks say about defensive driving here in
    California: use S.E.E. Search! Examine! Execute! This intersection
    is another example of how defensive driving actually makes dealing
    with traffic go smoother, faster, and more fun!

    I live in a very busy neighborhood with 4 way stops on LITERALLY every
    other corner, and I encounter these friendly-hesitant-driver types
    (which is a blessing) quite often. So to get to places in a
    reasonable amount of time, I do exactly what Luke is talking
    about...timing and courteous initiative.

    I don't know if my technique will work for everyone's neighborhood,
    but here it is: Before approaching an intersection I SEARCH! for
    other drivers approaching the intersection, EXAMINE! what they are
    about to do (ETA to intersection? do they even notice me? Do they
    appear to be on a rush? ) EXECUTE! with these friendly-hesitant
    types, I take initiative by the use of body language like, "ok I'm
    rolling" (by looking at your path of travel, and keeping them within
    your peripheral view) AND make a peace sign "Thanks" (without taking
    my hand off the handlebars).

    IF my path of travel and other traffic permits, I will even go behind
    their bumper so they don't have to wait for me to pass. I use extra
    SEE in executing this, and when done right, it saves them time, and it
    saves me the annoyance of worrying about their indecisiveness.

  2. On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 08:37:48 -0500 in rec.bicycles.misc, "Pat"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hey! The OP is in his 60's, so the overwhelming chances are that he KNOWS
    > the traffic rules!

    i'm in my 60s, too. he might know the traffic rules, but he was
    explictly ignoring them, which makes the situation less safe.

  3. Bill Sornson

    Bill Sornson Guest

    Dennis P. Harris wrote:
    > On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 08:37:48 -0500 in rec.bicycles.misc, "Pat"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Hey! The OP is in his 60's, so the overwhelming chances are that he
    >> KNOWS the traffic rules!

    > i'm in my 60s, too. he might know the traffic rules, but he was
    > explictly ignoring them, which makes the situation less safe.

    Please show where he said he "explicitly ignores" traffic rules.

    You just make shit up, doncha? (Prolly explains why you always DELETE that
    about which you comment.)

    BS (called...yet again)