Too slow in Italy. How slow?

DaveB

Guest
There was an article in The Age today (well snippet is probably a better description) about 200
riders in the Giro della Provincia di Lucca for riding too slowly. The main pack was 30 mins behind
the leaders and the police couldn't keep the roads closed any longer. I'm sure their idea of too
slow and mine are probably pretty different. Anyone got an idea of what a "too slow" pace for pro's
is likely to be?

Dave B.

That should say disqualified for riding too slowly.

DaveB <[email protected]> wrote:
> There was an article in The Age today (well snippet is probably a better description) about 200
> riders in the Giro della Provincia di Lucca for riding too slowly. The main pack was 30 mins
> behind the leaders and the police couldn't keep the roads closed any longer. I'm sure their idea
> of too slow and mine are probably pretty different. Anyone got an idea of what a "too slow" pace
> for pro's is likely to be?

> Dave B.

Dunno about their actual speed, but the peleton was over 30mins behind the break.

From cyclingnews.com...

"It was at the entrance to the final circuit that the peloton, languishing over half an hour behind
the leader Bertolini, was stopped in its tracks by local officials and ejected from the race. An
extreme measure, but of virtually no consequence for the general classification, as the big bunch
sealed its fate when it let the breakaway go clear on the day's first difficulty."

--
Nick