Took A Spill, How To Treat The Wounds?

grecinos

Sep 28, 2015
Hey guys,

I went for a ride this past Monday. I took a spill that caused me to go head over heal on to the pavement. I haven't had this happen in over 10 to 15 years. I landed on my right side. I have soreness in the ribs. I can breath fine, but it hurts when I make certain types of movements. I'm reasonably convinced that I didn't break any bones but they are badly bruised.

My question is, what is the best way to treat this ailment? Should I be icing it, or wearing a compression band?

TIA,

grecinos

Reactions: nonicenevefa75
Rule 63: Never ask for medical advice on the internet!

It's probably too late for ice. Unless you put the ice in a stiff bourbon and knock back about 4 cube's worth.

Ribs, busted or bruised...not much is usually done in the ER these days. I've busted, cracked and bruised ribs on several occassions and all they ever did was send me home after X-Rays telling not to lift anything heavy and try not to cough, sneeze or laugh too hard. Bruised, cracked or busted ribs all hurt about the same to me (painful...yeah) and the pain lasted about the same duration...a month or so. Injured ribs do suck.

If you have insurance, it might be a good idea to get X-Rays just to know what you're dealing with. If the pain gets worse or if you start coughing up blood or breathing gets difficult, by all means get yourself in for someone other than us internet interns to scope you out. As I said, my local hospitals didn't even bother with a wrap or anything...said it was passe and they would heal on their own.

The road rash? Just scrub it out, apply the ointments and salves of choice and bandage what you can of it for a couple of days. Give it air when you can. Chicks dig scars.

Good luck.

You're probably right. Not a good idea to ask for professional help on the internet. But I was seeking the personal experiences of other riders. That's advice the local doctor can't provide.

My pains have gotten better, so I think I'll be alright, as long as I don't lift heavy objects and such.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers.

Have some X rays or get examined by a doctor after describing your symptoms.

I -highly- suspect that it's a small fracture in the ribs and the cure is lying in bed for a couple of weeks knocking down codeine...

Could be just bad bruising to something like a fracture of the ribs.

If you can, go see a doc and some X-Rays. One of the other or both. It might just be bruising, but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

I'm sorry to say that you should not attempt to heal yourself with that kind of accident. Go see a doctor. When my brother fell from a horse, he was training a race horse and he rode it on a whim, he had a big bump on his head. When I learned of his accident on the next day, I gave him money to have his head x-rayed. And surely, the doctor prescribed him some medication. At least we are freed of worries when we see a doctor instead of guessing what ails us.

Reactions: BobCochran
@Corzhens, my daughters are expert horse riders. They had their share of accidents. So I agree with you about seeing a doctor. I've fallen off a horse too, but it was in a good location -- the horse was standing on soft barn dirt -- and the horse itself was extremely gentle and imperturbable -- it didn't bother him at all that the stupid human had boosted himself over the saddle to fall down on the other side. The horse just looked at me curiously with very gentle eyes. He just stood there and didn't get scared. (Meaning he didn't trample me.) I laughed at myself. I was not hurt in any way.

I would tell the original poster to see a doctor, myself.

Thanks a ton

Bob

Thanks guys for the advice and sharing your experiences.

I've decided to make an appointment with my primary care physician on Monday. In the meantime, I've been Icing, resting and relax as best I can. It's amazing, every time I get an injury (which is almost never), I realize what I can and cannot do. I have to say though, that this is the least immobilizing. Thank goodness! The worst being back problems and knee injuries.

I'm looking forward to getting back on the bike. I'm growing grumpier by the day to say the least! Lol.

Cheers.

Hi Guys,

I wanted to give you a follow up on my experience with my doctor. Upon meeting with him, before I could say anything, he said that getting X-rays wouldn't help my situation. He later mentioned that he was observing my behavior for problems breathing, talking, etc. He said under my condition, even if I fractured a rib, taking X-rays won't help in providing a plan of care. In the end, he said that it would take up to 6 to 8 weeks to fully heal. In the meantime, I should ice the affected area and, if needed, take an anti-inflammatory such as Advil. In terms of cycling, he said to gradually increase the mileage until I am back to normal. I went for a ride yesterday. I could only go 3 miles. I guess I have a ways to go before I'm back to my normal training routine, but I'm feeling optimistic.

I hope you feel better and recover faster than the suggested 6 to 8 weeks...but yes, I suppose it can take time. My broken left thumb did take quite a while.

Good luck!

Bob