took a year+ off, now I'm ready to get started again...

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by GS, Feb 8, 2005.

  1. GS

    GS Guest

    I was into a pretty regular 3X week full body routine for about 6 months
    when an injury (still not sure what)forced me to stop. The last 2 months
    were doing the HST thing. (I'm 47 years old)

    I was doing the following:

    3 sets BP (barbell)
    3 sets DB bent over rows
    3 sets DB shoulder presses
    3 sets DB shrugs
    3 sets DB flyes
    3 sets DB hammer curls
    3 sets DB pull overs
    3 sets DB squats
    3 sets DB lunges
    3 sets crunches

    I think that about covers what I was doing, the "injury" seemed to
    happen when I was at my 5 rep max stage, I had a pain in my shoulder
    starting in the front and running down my arm that was bad enough I
    couldnt lift anymore. The Dr ruled out a rotator cuff tear, which was my
    first thought. It is over a year later and I still have a dull pain
    there, but I am thinking it is work related, ie carpal tunnel /
    repetitive stress or whatever they call it because I sit at a PC all day
    and I notice it most when using a mouse.

    Despite the dull pain I feel I can work them again now, and my Dr said
    is should be ok to start light workouts again. I tried some pushups
    awhile back and managed to do about 25 without bad pain in my shoulder.

    On the plus side I guess I'll get some of the newbie benefits back (gain
    mass & lose fat), and I'm hoping to get back into a good routine again
    as I was finding it quite enjoyable.

    The areas I want to work on are chest & shoulders, legs are pretty good
    shape already as I play some sports that involve lots of running and
    hike around a lot.

    Looking over what I was doing it looks like I may have been overdoing
    the upper body, but enough to cause an injury?

    thoughts??

    tia

    Tags:

  2. John Black

    John Black Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]_spam.com
    says...
    > I was into a pretty regular 3X week full body routine for about 6 months
    > when an injury (still not sure what)forced me to stop. The last 2 months
    > were doing the HST thing. (I'm 47 years old)
    >
    > I was doing the following:
    >
    > 3 sets BP (barbell)
    > 3 sets DB bent over rows
    > 3 sets DB shoulder presses
    > 3 sets DB shrugs
    > 3 sets DB flyes
    > 3 sets DB hammer curls
    > 3 sets DB pull overs
    > 3 sets DB squats
    > 3 sets DB lunges
    > 3 sets crunches
    >
    > I think that about covers what I was doing, the "injury" seemed to
    > happen when I was at my 5 rep max stage, I had a pain in my shoulder
    > starting in the front and running down my arm that was bad enough I
    > couldnt lift anymore. The Dr ruled out a rotator cuff tear, which was my
    > first thought. It is over a year later and I still have a dull pain
    > there, but I am thinking it is work related, ie carpal tunnel /
    > repetitive stress or whatever they call it because I sit at a PC all day
    > and I notice it most when using a mouse.
    >
    > Despite the dull pain I feel I can work them again now, and my Dr said
    > is should be ok to start light workouts again. I tried some pushups
    > awhile back and managed to do about 25 without bad pain in my shoulder.
    >
    > On the plus side I guess I'll get some of the newbie benefits back (gain
    > mass & lose fat), and I'm hoping to get back into a good routine again
    > as I was finding it quite enjoyable.
    >
    > The areas I want to work on are chest & shoulders, legs are pretty good
    > shape already as I play some sports that involve lots of running and
    > hike around a lot.
    >
    > Looking over what I was doing it looks like I may have been overdoing
    > the upper body, but enough to cause an injury?

    Were you doing all of the above on the same day? How long did it take
    you?

    John Black

  3. GS

    GS Guest

    John Black wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]_spam.com
    > says...
    >
    >>I was into a pretty regular 3X week full body routine for about 6 months
    >>when an injury (still not sure what)forced me to stop. The last 2 months
    >>were doing the HST thing. (I'm 47 years old)
    >>
    >>I was doing the following:
    >>
    >>3 sets BP (barbell)
    >>3 sets DB bent over rows
    >>3 sets DB shoulder presses
    >>3 sets DB shrugs
    >>3 sets DB flyes
    >>3 sets DB hammer curls
    >>3 sets DB pull overs
    >>3 sets DB squats
    >>3 sets DB lunges
    >>3 sets crunches
    >>
    >>I think that about covers what I was doing, the "injury" seemed to
    >>happen when I was at my 5 rep max stage, I had a pain in my shoulder
    >>starting in the front and running down my arm that was bad enough I
    >>couldnt lift anymore. The Dr ruled out a rotator cuff tear, which was my
    >>first thought. It is over a year later and I still have a dull pain
    >>there, but I am thinking it is work related, ie carpal tunnel /
    >>repetitive stress or whatever they call it because I sit at a PC all day
    >>and I notice it most when using a mouse.
    >>
    >>Despite the dull pain I feel I can work them again now, and my Dr said
    >>is should be ok to start light workouts again. I tried some pushups
    >>awhile back and managed to do about 25 without bad pain in my shoulder.
    >>
    >>On the plus side I guess I'll get some of the newbie benefits back (gain
    >>mass & lose fat), and I'm hoping to get back into a good routine again
    >>as I was finding it quite enjoyable.
    >>
    >>The areas I want to work on are chest & shoulders, legs are pretty good
    >>shape already as I play some sports that involve lots of running and
    >>hike around a lot.
    >>
    >>Looking over what I was doing it looks like I may have been overdoing
    >>the upper body, but enough to cause an injury?

    > Were you doing all of the above on the same day? How long did it take
    > you?
    >
    > John Black

    I could usually knock a workout off in about an hour, maybe a tad more.
    Pretty sure I was doing three sets, may have only been two, but I'll see
    if I can find my routine printout and double check...