took the car to work today

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Myra Vaninwegen, Feb 18, 2003.

  1. My hands have gone from bad to worse over the weekend, and now riding even the Brompton makes them
    hurt a great deal. And it's not just the (slight) weight on the hands, it's gripping the handlebars
    and especially braking. Of course cycling isn't the only thing that makes my hands hurt; brushing my
    teeth is very bad. And they frequently tingle as I sleep, so I wake up and have to wiggle and rub
    them to bring them back to life several times over the course of the night.

    Oddly enough I can still type, as typing doesn't require me to grip anything. I just keep my hands
    in a more or less natural curved position and push down a little bit. So I'm still working (I'm a
    software engineer), but riding to work is not really possible any more. So hubby and I (we work in
    the same building) are taking the car starting today, him driving (don't trust myself in charge of a
    large & powerful vehicle with dodgy hands).

    Still, not too bad, I kept at it, riding to work every day, until about 3 weeks before the
    bay is due.

    -Myra

    Tags:

  2. The message <[email protected]> from [email protected] (Myra
    VanInwegen) contains these words:

    > My hands have gone from bad to worse over the weekend, and now riding even the Brompton makes them
    > hurt a great deal. And it's not just the (slight) weight on the hands, it's gripping the
    > handlebars and especially braking.

    Sounds like you have carpal tunnel problems. Wearing splints for your wrists might help but there's
    a good chance things will improve after the baby is born.

    > Of course cycling isn't the only thing that makes my hands hurt; brushing my teeth is very bad.

    Boots were selling the Braun Oral B electric toothbrushes at half price last week. I don't know if
    they still do. My dentist persuaded me to get one a while ago.

    > And they frequently tingle as I sleep, so I wake up and have to wiggle and rub them to bring them
    > back to life several times over the course of the night.

    Try night splints...

    > Oddly enough I can still type, as typing doesn't require me to grip anything. I just keep my hands
    > in a more or less natural curved position and push down a little bit. So I'm still working (I'm a
    > software engineer), but riding to work is not really possible any more. So hubby and I (we work in
    > the same building) are taking the car starting today, him driving (don't trust myself in charge of
    > a large & powerful vehicle with dodgy hands).

    > Still, not too bad, I kept at it, riding to work every day, until about 3 weeks before the
    > bay is due.

    Hope your hands improve fast and all goes well with the birth.

    All the best,

    Helen V

  3. Andy Welch

    Andy Welch Guest

    On 18-Feb-2003, [email protected] (Myra VanInwegen) wrote:

    > Still, not too bad, I kept at it, riding to work every day, until about 3 weeks before the
    > bay is due.

    That's pretty impressive Myra. Three weeks before the due date is about when many women stop work
    all together let alone stop riding to work. Hopefully the hands will be back to their old self once
    the baby arrives. You'll certainly need them :) The list of symptoms that women get during pregnancy
    is long and various but most people seem to return to the old selves after the event. Either that or
    you are too wrapped up in the event (or just too damned tired [1]) to notice your own ailments.

    Of course if all else fails you could always try to build a recumbent with a back pedal brake !

    Look forward to hearing about your new arrival any week soon.

    Cheers,

    Andy

    [1] Says the man who was woken at 11, 12, 1, 2, 3 and 4 last night. They need to learn to get
    themselves to sleep the book says. Just check on them every ten minutes and leave them to cry.
    Sounds great until you find that they cry for 40 minutes, sleep for 20 then start all over
    again. And of course you can't go to sleep until you are sure that they've really stopped this
    time. By which time they are ready to wake up again. Who writes these books, that's what I
    want to know.

  4. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Myra VanInwegen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My hands have gone from bad to worse over the weekend, and now riding even the Brompton makes them
    > hurt a great deal. And it's not just the (slight) weight on the hands, it's gripping the
    > handlebars and especially braking. Of course cycling isn't the only thing that makes my hands
    > hurt; brushing my teeth is very bad. And they frequently tingle as I sleep, so I wake up and have
    > to wiggle and rub them to bring them back to life several times over the course of the night.
    >
    > Oddly enough I can still type, as typing doesn't require me to grip anything. I just keep my hands
    > in a more or less natural curved position and push down a little bit. So I'm still working (I'm a
    > software engineer), but riding to work is not really possible any more. So hubby and I (we work in
    > the same building) are taking the car starting today, him driving (don't trust myself in charge of
    > a large & powerful vehicle with dodgy hands).
    >
    > Still, not too bad, I kept at it, riding to work every day, until about 3 weeks before the
    > bay is due.

    Hope (and reasonably expect) the tingly hands will improve rapidly once junior is born. Well done on
    staying the course on the bike. I am sure the extra fitness and general health benefits will pay BIG
    dividends over the next few weeks. You will be in much better condition to both give birth and then
    to look after the little mite than the very vast majority of Mums.

    Remember there are plenty of cyber 'Aunties' & 'Uncles' wishing you and Becka the very best.

  5. Myra VanInwegen wrote:
    > more. So hubby and I (we work in the same building) are taking the car starting today, him driving
    > (don't trust myself in charge of a large & powerful vehicle with dodgy hands).

    Did you drive through an urban area? If so, Colin Blackburn thinks it funny to call you a bastard.
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  6. Frank

    Frank Guest

    "Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Sounds like you have carpal tunnel problems. Wearing splints for your wrists might help but
    > there's a good chance things will improve after the baby is born.

    In the past I have posted about carpal tunnel syndrome, but having reread about it, it appears
    carpal tunnel syndorme is numbness in index finger and thumb where as I experienced numbness in
    little and ring fingers which is apparently called Guyon's Canal Syndrome, and is often associated
    with cycling.

    > > Of course cycling isn't the only thing that makes my hands hurt; brushing my teeth is very bad.
    >
    > Boots were selling the Braun Oral B electric toothbrushes at half price last week. I don't know if
    > they still do. My dentist persuaded me to get one a while ago.
    >
    > > And they frequently tingle as I sleep, so I wake up and have to wiggle and rub them to bring
    > > them back to life several times over the course of the night.
    >
    > Try night splints...
    >
    > > Oddly enough I can still type, as typing doesn't require me to grip anything. I just keep my
    > > hands in a more or less natural curved position and push down a little bit. So I'm still working
    > > (I'm a software engineer), but riding to work is not really possible any more. So hubby and I
    > > (we work in the same building) are taking the car starting today, him driving (don't trust
    > > myself in charge of a large & powerful vehicle with dodgy hands).
    >
    > > Still, not too bad, I kept at it, riding to work every day, until about 3 weeks before the bay
    > > is due.
    >
    > Hope your hands improve fast and all goes well with the birth.
    >
    > All the best,
    >
    > Helen V
    >
    > --
    > Helen D. Vecht: [email protected] Edgware.

  7. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Myra VanInwegen wrote:
    > > more. So hubby and I (we work in the same building) are taking the car starting today, him
    > > driving (don't trust myself in charge of a large & powerful vehicle with dodgy hands).
    >
    > Did you drive through an urban area? If so, Colin Blackburn thinks it
    funny
    > to call you a bastard.

    Oh do stop whining.

    clive

  8. The message <[email protected]> from "Frank" <[email protected]>
    contains these words:

    > "Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    > > Sounds like you have carpal tunnel problems. Wearing splints for your wrists might help but
    > > there's a good chance things will improve after the baby is born.
    > >

    > In the past I have posted about carpal tunnel syndrome, but having reread about it, it appears
    > carpal tunnel syndorme is numbness in index finger and thumb where as I experienced numbness in
    > little and ring fingers which is apparently called Guyon's Canal Syndrome, and is often associated
    > with cycling.

    Yebbut you aren't 37 weeks pregnant, are you? Carpal tunnel problems are fairly common in pregnancy.
    Myra's not done *lots* of cycling recently and her tingling is fairly recent & getting worse, so I
    suspect the carpal tunnel is her problem.

    Guyon's canal syndrome affects the ulnar nerve and is associated with cycling. Tingling is *not*
    always a feature as there are separate motor and sensory branches of the ulnar nerve and it is
    possible to do extensive damage to the motor branch of the nerve (which supplies most of the small
    muscles of the hand) without getting sensory symptoms.

    If you have problems holding your knife & fork firmly at table, or keeping your fingers together
    when swimming, you might have ulnar nerve damage.

  9. Clive George wrote:
    > "Michael MacClancy" [email protected]> wrote in > Did you
    drive through an urban area? If so, Colin Blackburn thinks
    >> it funny to call you a bastard.
    >
    > Oh do stop whining.
    >
    > clive

    Just pointing out the inappropriateness of his so-called sense of humour.
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  10. In news:[email protected], Tony W <[email protected]> typed:

    > Remember there are plenty of cyber 'Aunties' & 'Uncles' wishing you and Becka the very best.

    I presume at the happy event there would be passing round of bananas and muesli power bars, as these
    days cigars are deprecated as nasty and unhealthy [1].

    Alex

    [1] Although in the old days weren't cyclists supposed to celebrate with cigars, wine,
    amphetamines, cocaine and opium, hedonism in saunas whilst blokes with moustaches and bowler
    hats said "jolly good show!" "Good form" etc....? Although I think this was for winning races
    rather than having babies.

  11. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Mr [email protected] (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room new build] <[email protected]> wrote:

    > [1] Although in the old days weren't cyclists supposed to celebrate with cigars, wine,
    > amphetamines, cocaine and opium, hedonism in saunas whilst blokes with moustaches and bowler
    > hats said "jolly good show!" "Good form" etc....? Although I think this was for winning races
    > rather than having babies.
    If Tom Simpson had been pregnant I think there would have been a bit more fuss than "Good form"!

  12. In news:[email protected], Marc <[email protected]> typed:

    >> [1] Although in the old days weren't cyclists supposed to celebrate with cigars, wine,
    >> amphetamines, cocaine and opium, hedonism in saunas whilst blokes with moustaches and bowler
    >> hats said "jolly good show!" "Good form" etc....? Although I think this was for winning races
    >> rather than having babies.
    > If Tom Simpson had been pregnant I think there would have been a bit more fuss than "Good form"!

    Yes, you would certainly wonder just *what* the docs had been putting in the tablets ;)

    Alex

  13. Frank

    Frank Guest

    "Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The message <[email protected]> from "Frank" <[email protected]>
    > contains these words:
    >

    > > "Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > > Sounds like you have carpal tunnel problems. Wearing splints for your wrists might help but
    > > > there's a good chance things will improve after the baby is born.
    > > >

    > > In the past I have posted about carpal tunnel syndrome, but having
    reread
    > > about it, it appears carpal tunnel syndorme is numbness in index finger
    and
    > > thumb where as I experienced numbness in little and ring fingers which
    is
    > > apparently called Guyon's Canal Syndrome, and is often associated with cycling.
    >
    > Yebbut you aren't 37 weeks pregnant, are you? Carpal tunnel problems are fairly common in
    > pregnancy. Myra's not done *lots* of cycling recently and her tingling is fairly recent & getting
    > worse, so I suspect the carpal tunnel is her problem.

    I'm 126 months pregnant and will be naming you in the paternity suit! Seeing as my foetus's last
    comment to his mother before she went out dancing on Friday was that if she took her jacket off
    and was 10 years younger she would look just like a prostitute. I'd recommend you stay well clear
    of children.

    I wasn't really talking about Myra but was on my favourite subject MYSELF, seriously as the symptoms
    are quite different, mine was very definitely the little finger sides of my hand, which is Guyon
    characteristic rather than carpel. Myra has had ongoing problems over a number of years and while I
    can't diagnose her or anyone else I can point out standard symptoms.

  14. Andymorris

    Andymorris Guest

    Michael MacClancy wrote:
    > Clive George wrote:
    >> "Michael MacClancy" [email protected]> wrote in > Did you
    > drive through an urban area? If so, Colin Blackburn thinks
    >>> it funny to call you a bastard.
    >>
    >> Oh do stop whining.
    >>
    >> clive
    >
    > Just pointing out the inappropriateness of his so-called sense of humour.

    Ok so your a very smart boy, much smarter than anyone else, now STFU
    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

  15. AndyMorris wrote:
    >Love this: Put an end to Outlook Express's messy quotes
    >http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/

    Thanks for this recommendation. I've been using it for a week or so now and it's really excellent.
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  16. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    and Michael MacClancy wrote:
    > Thanks for this recommendation. I've been using it for a week or so now and it's really excellent.

    There's just one thing I find frustrating about it, and I'd be interested to know if anyone has
    a solution.

    When I type a new e-mail or a new post, I hit tab from the Subject field and the cursor goes to the
    end of my .sig - obviously I want the cursor to be above my .sig at that point (the options that I
    might expect to affect this are "Position cursor at top" and "Move signature to bottom", both of
    which are ticked).

    Thomas Paine

  17. Andymorris

    Andymorris Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:
    > AndyMorris wrote:
    >>> Put an end to Outlook Express's messy quotes http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
    >
    > and Michael MacClancy wrote:
    >> Thanks for this recommendation. I've been using it for a week or so now and it's really
    >> excellent.

    I'm gonna have to be nice to Michael now ....

    > There's just one thing I find frustrating about it, and I'd be interested to know if anyone has a
    > solution.
    >
    > When I type a new e-mail or a new post, I hit tab from the Subject field and the cursor goes to
    > the end of my .sig - obviously I want the cursor to be above my .sig at that point (the options
    > that I might expect to affect this are "Position cursor at top" and "Move signature to bottom",
    > both of which are ticked).

    I get that as well, but you found it so let them know. They put out releases fairly often.