took the car to work today

Myra Vaninwegen

Guest
My hands have gone from bad to worse over the weekend, and now riding even the Brompton makes them
hurt a great deal. And it's not just the (slight) weight on the hands, it's gripping the handlebars
and especially braking. Of course cycling isn't the only thing that makes my hands hurt; brushing my
teeth is very bad. And they frequently tingle as I sleep, so I wake up and have to wiggle and rub
them to bring them back to life several times over the course of the night.

Oddly enough I can still type, as typing doesn't require me to grip anything. I just keep my hands
in a more or less natural curved position and push down a little bit. So I'm still working (I'm a
software engineer), but riding to work is not really possible any more. So hubby and I (we work in
the same building) are taking the car starting today, him driving (don't trust myself in charge of a
large & powerful vehicle with dodgy hands).

Still, not too bad, I kept at it, riding to work every day, until about 3 weeks before the
bay is due.

-Myra

The message <[email protected]> from [email protected] (Myra
VanInwegen) contains these words:

> My hands have gone from bad to worse over the weekend, and now riding even the Brompton makes them
> hurt a great deal. And it's not just the (slight) weight on the hands, it's gripping the
> handlebars and especially braking.

Sounds like you have carpal tunnel problems. Wearing splints for your wrists might help but there's
a good chance things will improve after the baby is born.

> Of course cycling isn't the only thing that makes my hands hurt; brushing my teeth is very bad.

Boots were selling the Braun Oral B electric toothbrushes at half price last week. I don't know if
they still do. My dentist persuaded me to get one a while ago.

> And they frequently tingle as I sleep, so I wake up and have to wiggle and rub them to bring them
> back to life several times over the course of the night.

Try night splints...

> Oddly enough I can still type, as typing doesn't require me to grip anything. I just keep my hands
> in a more or less natural curved position and push down a little bit. So I'm still working (I'm a
> software engineer), but riding to work is not really possible any more. So hubby and I (we work in
> the same building) are taking the car starting today, him driving (don't trust myself in charge of
> a large & powerful vehicle with dodgy hands).

> Still, not too bad, I kept at it, riding to work every day, until about 3 weeks before the
> bay is due.

Hope your hands improve fast and all goes well with the birth.

All the best,

Helen V

On 18-Feb-2003, [email protected] (Myra VanInwegen) wrote:

> Still, not too bad, I kept at it, riding to work every day, until about 3 weeks before the
> bay is due.

That's pretty impressive Myra. Three weeks before the due date is about when many women stop work
all together let alone stop riding to work. Hopefully the hands will be back to their old self once
the baby arrives. You'll certainly need them :) The list of symptoms that women get during pregnancy
is long and various but most people seem to return to the old selves after the event. Either that or
you are too wrapped up in the event (or just too damned tired [1]) to notice your own ailments.

Of course if all else fails you could always try to build a recumbent with a back pedal brake !

Look forward to hearing about your new arrival any week soon.

Cheers,

Andy

[1] Says the man who was woken at 11, 12, 1, 2, 3 and 4 last night. They need to learn to get
themselves to sleep the book says. Just check on them every ten minutes and leave them to cry.
Sounds great until you find that they cry for 40 minutes, sleep for 20 then start all over
again. And of course you can't go to sleep until you are sure that they've really stopped this
time. By which time they are ready to wake up again. Who writes these books, that's what I
want to know.

"Myra VanInwegen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My hands have gone from bad to worse over the weekend, and now riding even the Brompton makes them
> hurt a great deal. And it's not just the (slight) weight on the hands, it's gripping the
> handlebars and especially braking. Of course cycling isn't the only thing that makes my hands
> hurt; brushing my teeth is very bad. And they frequently tingle as I sleep, so I wake up and have
> to wiggle and rub them to bring them back to life several times over the course of the night.
>
> Oddly enough I can still type, as typing doesn't require me to grip anything. I just keep my hands
> in a more or less natural curved position and push down a little bit. So I'm still working (I'm a
> software engineer), but riding to work is not really possible any more. So hubby and I (we work in
> the same building) are taking the car starting today, him driving (don't trust myself in charge of
> a large & powerful vehicle with dodgy hands).
>
> Still, not too bad, I kept at it, riding to work every day, until about 3 weeks before the
> bay is due.

Hope (and reasonably expect) the tingly hands will improve rapidly once junior is born. Well done on
staying the course on the bike. I am sure the extra fitness and general health benefits will pay BIG
dividends over the next few weeks. You will be in much better condition to both give birth and then
to look after the little mite than the very vast majority of Mums.

Remember there are plenty of cyber 'Aunties' & 'Uncles' wishing you and Becka the very best.

Did you drive through an urban area? If so, Colin Blackburn thinks it funny to call you a *******.
--
Michael MacClancy

"Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Sounds like you have carpal tunnel problems. Wearing splints for your wrists might help but
> there's a good chance things will improve after the baby is born.

In the past I have posted about carpal tunnel syndrome, but having reread about it, it appears
carpal tunnel syndorme is numbness in index finger and thumb where as I experienced numbness in
little and ring fingers which is apparently called Guyon's Canal Syndrome, and is often associated
with cycling.

> > Of course cycling isn't the only thing that makes my hands hurt; brushing my teeth is very bad.
>
> Boots were selling the Braun Oral B electric toothbrushes at half price last week. I don't know if
> they still do. My dentist persuaded me to get one a while ago.
>
> > And they frequently tingle as I sleep, so I wake up and have to wiggle and rub them to bring
> > them back to life several times over the course of the night.
>
> Try night splints...
>
> > Oddly enough I can still type, as typing doesn't require me to grip anything. I just keep my
> > hands in a more or less natural curved position and push down a little bit. So I'm still working
> > (I'm a software engineer), but riding to work is not really possible any more. So hubby and I
> > (we work in the same building) are taking the car starting today, him driving (don't trust
> > myself in charge of a large & powerful vehicle with dodgy hands).
>
> > Still, not too bad, I kept at it, riding to work every day, until about 3 weeks before the bay
> > is due.
>
> Hope your hands improve fast and all goes well with the birth.
>
> All the best,
>
> Helen V
>
> --
> Helen D. Vecht: [email protected] Edgware.

"Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Myra VanInwegen wrote:
> > more. So hubby and I (we work in the same building) are taking the car starting today, him
> > driving (don't trust myself in charge of a large & powerful vehicle with dodgy hands).
>
> Did you drive through an urban area? If so, Colin Blackburn thinks it
funny
> to call you a *******.

Oh do stop whining.

clive

The message <[email protected]> from "Frank" <[email protected]>
contains these words:

> "Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> > Sounds like you have carpal tunnel problems. Wearing splints for your wrists might help but
> > there's a good chance things will improve after the baby is born.
> >

> In the past I have posted about carpal tunnel syndrome, but having reread about it, it appears
> carpal tunnel syndorme is numbness in index finger and thumb where as I experienced numbness in
> little and ring fingers which is apparently called Guyon's Canal Syndrome, and is often associated
> with cycling.

Yebbut you aren't 37 weeks pregnant, are you? Carpal tunnel problems are fairly common in pregnancy.
Myra's not done *lots* of cycling recently and her tingling is fairly recent & getting worse, so I
suspect the carpal tunnel is her problem.

Guyon's canal syndrome affects the ulnar nerve and is associated with cycling. Tingling is *not*
always a feature as there are separate motor and sensory branches of the ulnar nerve and it is
possible to do extensive damage to the motor branch of the nerve (which supplies most of the small
muscles of the hand) without getting sensory symptoms.

If you have problems holding your knife & fork firmly at table, or keeping your fingers together
when swimming, you might have ulnar nerve damage.

Clive George wrote:
> "Michael MacClancy" [email protected]> wrote in > Did you
drive through an urban area? If so, Colin Blackburn thinks
>> it funny to call you a *******.
>
> Oh do stop whining.
>
> clive

Just pointing out the inappropriateness of his so-called sense of humour.
--
Michael MacClancy

In news:[email protected], Tony W <[email protected]> typed:

> Remember there are plenty of cyber 'Aunties' & 'Uncles' wishing you and Becka the very best.

I presume at the happy event there would be passing round of bananas and muesli power bars, as these
days cigars are deprecated as nasty and unhealthy [1].

Alex

[1] Although in the old days weren't cyclists supposed to celebrate with cigars, wine,
amphetamines, cocaine and opium, hedonism in saunas whilst blokes with moustaches and bowler
hats said "jolly good show!" "Good form" etc....? Although I think this was for winning races
rather than having babies.

Mr R@t (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room new build] <[email protected]> wrote:

> [1] Although in the old days weren't cyclists supposed to celebrate with cigars, wine,
> amphetamines, cocaine and opium, hedonism in saunas whilst blokes with moustaches and bowler
> hats said "jolly good show!" "Good form" etc....? Although I think this was for winning races
> rather than having babies.
If Tom Simpson had been pregnant I think there would have been a bit more fuss than "Good form"!

In news:[email protected], Marc <[email protected]> typed:

>> [1] Although in the old days weren't cyclists supposed to celebrate with cigars, wine,
>> amphetamines, cocaine and opium, hedonism in saunas whilst blokes with moustaches and bowler
>> hats said "jolly good show!" "Good form" etc....? Although I think this was for winning races
>> rather than having babies.
> If Tom Simpson had been pregnant I think there would have been a bit more fuss than "Good form"!

Yes, you would certainly wonder just *what* the docs had been putting in the tablets ;)

Alex

"Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The message <[email protected]> from "Frank" <[email protected]>
> contains these words:
>

> > "Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
>
> > > Sounds like you have carpal tunnel problems. Wearing splints for your wrists might help but
> > > there's a good chance things will improve after the baby is born.
> > >

> > In the past I have posted about carpal tunnel syndrome, but having
reread
> > about it, it appears carpal tunnel syndorme is numbness in index finger
and
> > thumb where as I experienced numbness in little and ring fingers which
is
> > apparently called Guyon's Canal Syndrome, and is often associated with cycling.
>
> Yebbut you aren't 37 weeks pregnant, are you? Carpal tunnel problems are fairly common in
> pregnancy. Myra's not done *lots* of cycling recently and her tingling is fairly recent & getting
> worse, so I suspect the carpal tunnel is her problem.

I'm 126 months pregnant and will be naming you in the paternity suit! Seeing as my foetus's last
comment to his mother before she went out dancing on Friday was that if she took her jacket off
and was 10 years younger she would look just like a prostitute. I'd recommend you stay well clear
of children.

I wasn't really talking about Myra but was on my favourite subject MYSELF, seriously as the symptoms
are quite different, mine was very definitely the little finger sides of my hand, which is Guyon
characteristic rather than carpel. Myra has had ongoing problems over a number of years and while I
can't diagnose her or anyone else I can point out standard symptoms.

Michael MacClancy wrote:
> Clive George wrote:
>> "Michael MacClancy" [email protected]> wrote in > Did you
> drive through an urban area? If so, Colin Blackburn thinks
>>> it funny to call you a *******.
>>
>> Oh do stop whining.
>>
>> clive
>
> Just pointing out the inappropriateness of his so-called sense of humour.

Ok so your a very smart boy, much smarter than anyone else, now STFU
--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

and Michael MacClancy wrote:
> Thanks for this recommendation. I've been using it for a week or so now and it's really excellent.

There's just one thing I find frustrating about it, and I'd be interested to know if anyone has
a solution.

When I type a new e-mail or a new post, I hit tab from the Subject field and the cursor goes to the
end of my .sig - obviously I want the cursor to be above my .sig at that point (the options that I
might expect to affect this are "Position cursor at top" and "Move signature to bottom", both of
which are ticked).

Thomas Paine

Danny Colyer wrote:
> AndyMorris wrote:
>>> Put an end to Outlook Express's messy quotes http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
>
> and Michael MacClancy wrote:
>> Thanks for this recommendation. I've been using it for a week or so now and it's really
>> excellent.

I'm gonna have to be nice to Michael now ....

> There's just one thing I find frustrating about it, and I'd be interested to know if anyone has a
> solution.
>
> When I type a new e-mail or a new post, I hit tab from the Subject field and the cursor goes to
> the end of my .sig - obviously I want the cursor to be above my .sig at that point (the options
> that I might expect to affect this are "Position cursor at top" and "Move signature to bottom",
> both of which are ticked).

I get that as well, but you found it so let them know. They put out releases fairly often.