Tool set opinions, please.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Junobug, May 5, 2003.

  1. Junobug

    Junobug Guest

    I am looking at buying a complete tool set, and the Pedro's Master tool kit caught my eye. In the
    past, I have pretty much stuck with the Park tools. Any input from those of you useing Pedro's tools
    would be a great help. Also, do any of you know how to pick one of these kits, or something similar
    without having to take out a 2nd on the house?

    Ken

    Tags:

  2. Jamie

    Jamie Guest

    Your stuck they are good tools but pricey.

    --
    J/O Trailblazer At large !!

  3. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    Try the Spin Doctor set. I don't have personal experience with them, but a $50 set comes with a lot
    of the tools one may need for minor bike maintenance.

    --
    - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

    "junobug" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am looking at buying a complete tool set, and the Pedro's Master tool
    kit
    > caught my eye. In the past, I have pretty much stuck with the Park tools. Any input from those of
    > you useing Pedro's tools would be a great help. Also, do any of you know how to pick one of these
    > kits, or something
    similar
    > without having to take out a 2nd on the house?
    >
    > Ken

  4. Vaughn

    Vaughn Guest

    Personally I thought about the full set and then realized I don't need a lot of the tools included
    in the kit. Buy good tools as you need them. You won't end up spending money on extra tools you'll
    never use.

    Just my 2 units of currency Vaughn

  5. junobug wrote:

    >I am looking at buying a complete tool set, and the Pedro's Master tool kit caught my eye. In the
    >past, I have pretty much stuck with the Park tools. Any input from those of you useing Pedro's
    >tools would be a great help. Also, do any of you know how to pick one of these kits, or something
    >similar without having to take out a 2nd on the house?
    >
    >Ken

    When i managed a shop I succumbed to the wheedling of the Pedro's rep and ordered in some stuff for
    the mechanics to use. Some of their stuff was just as good as the park tools, but many items seemed
    less ergonomic, and not as hard wearing. An allen key set has a limited lifespan in the given bike
    shop environment before they start to round out and put you in danger of stripping out bolt heads.
    (We bought time by sawing off the ends of the 4, 5, and 6 from time to time) The Pedro's set seemed
    to wear twice as fast.

    Just my opinion...

  6. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "junobug" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am looking at buying a complete tool set, and the Pedro's Master tool kit caught my eye. In the
    > past, I have pretty much stuck with the Park tools. Any input from those of you useing Pedro's
    > tools would be a great help. Also, do any of you know how to pick one of these kits, or something
    > similar without having to take out a 2nd on the house?

    Build up your Park collection as needed. Supplementing with Wrench Force here andthere couldn't hurt
    either. Crappy tools can fail and damage your bike or parts on it. I have bought my Park set over
    the last 17 years, buying tools as the need for each individual tool arose. The only tools I use
    that aren't Park are Craftsman allen wrenches. Cheapo sets will not last under regular use.

    JD