Tool tip!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Michael Dart, May 18, 2003.

  1. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    Keep that pesky BB tool from slipping and tearing up the splines on your splined BB's.

    It's simple...

    http://www.pbase.com/image/16818276

    I used to use a bolt to hold it in place on the square taper type BB's which doesn't work for
    splined ones. Hmmmm....<scratches head> AHH HA!!! Just use a rear wheel QR skewer and a couple
    of washers.

    Works a treat!

    Mike

    Tags:

  2. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    > Keep that pesky BB tool from slipping and tearing up the splines on your splined BB's.
    >
    > It's simple...
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/16818276
    >
    > I used to use a bolt to hold it in place on the square taper type BB's
    which
    > doesn't work for splined ones. Hmmmm....<scratches head> AHH HA!!! Just use a rear wheel QR skewer
    > and a couple of washers.
    >
    > Works a treat!
    >
    > Mike

    Yeah, but what happens if the QR isn't tight enough? 10 to 1 the bike explodes.

    Jon Bond but only if you're using the new Splined BB's....

  3. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    | "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | > Keep that pesky BB tool from slipping and tearing up the splines on your splined BB's.
    | >
    | > It's simple...
    | >
    | > http://www.pbase.com/image/16818276
    | >
    | > I used to use a bolt to hold it in place on the square taper type BB's
    | which
    | > doesn't work for splined ones. Hmmmm....<scratches head> AHH HA!!!
    Just
    | > use a rear wheel QR skewer and a couple of washers.
    | >
    | > Works a treat!
    | >
    | > Mike
    |
    | Yeah, but what happens if the QR isn't tight enough? 10 to 1 the bike explodes.

    Then the disk brake rotors fly off and slice your head off.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 5/13/2003

  4. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

  5. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    | "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | news:[email protected]...
    | >
    | > "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | > > Keep that pesky BB tool from slipping and tearing up the splines on
    your
    | > > splined BB's.
    | > >
    | > > http://www.pbase.com/image/16818276
    | >
    | > Yeah, but what happens if the QR isn't tight enough? 10 to 1 the bike explodes.
    |
    | Or Missy Giove's bottom pops off?
    |
    | Bill "was that a hairline crack I saw, Mike?" S.

    Now there's a mental image I could have done without tonight.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 5/13/2003

  6. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > Keep that pesky BB tool from slipping and tearing up the splines on
    your
    > > > splined BB's.
    > > >
    > > > http://www.pbase.com/image/16818276
    > >
    > > Yeah, but what happens if the QR isn't tight enough? 10 to 1 the bike explodes.
    >
    > Or Missy Giove's bottom pops off?
    >
    > Bill "was that a hairline crack I saw, Mike?" S.
    >
    > (made ya look! :)

    Ha! No you didn't. ;^)

    Mike - already checked!

  7. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > | "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > | news:[email protected]...

    > your

    > | > Yeah, but what happens if the QR isn't tight enough? 10 to 1 the bike explodes.
    > |
    > | Or Missy Giove's bottom pops off?
    > |
    > | Bill "was that a hairline crack I saw, Mike?" S.
    >
    > Now there's a mental image I could have done without tonight.

    Hehehe...I've been living with that mental image for two years. I was standing not 20 feet from her
    when she dropped her drawers after crashing in the consolation round at Snowshoe and finished riding
    the course bare assed. You've probably seen the Sobe ad from the event.

    Mike

  8. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > > your

    > > | Or Missy Giove's bottom pops off?
    > > |
    > > | Bill "was that a hairline crack I saw, Mike?" S.
    > >
    > > Now there's a mental image I could have done without tonight.
    > >

    > Hehehe...I've been living with that mental image for two years. I was standing not 20 feet from
    > her when she dropped her drawers after crashing in the consolation round at Snowshoe and finished
    > riding the course bare assed. You've probably seen the Sobe ad from the event.
    >
    > Mike

    I haven't....I didn't even hear about it!
    --
    Slacker

  9. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Keep that pesky BB tool from slipping and tearing up the splines on your splined BB's.
    >
    > It's simple...
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/16818276
    >
    > I used to use a bolt to hold it in place on the square taper type BB's
    which
    > doesn't work for splined ones.

    Now, why didn't I think of that!?!?!?!?

    > Hmmmm....<scratches head> AHH HA!!! Just use a rear wheel QR skewer and a couple of washers.
    >
    > Works a treat!
    >
    > Mike

    Don't have splined - but thanks for the first tip! Star bloke..........

    Shaun aRe

  10. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Keep that pesky BB tool from slipping and tearing up the splines on your splined BB's.
    > >
    > > It's simple...
    > >
    > > http://www.pbase.com/image/16818276
    > >
    > > I used to use a bolt to hold it in place on the square taper type BB's
    > which
    > > doesn't work for splined ones.
    >
    > Now, why didn't I think of that!?!?!?!?
    >
    > > Hmmmm....<scratches head> AHH HA!!! Just use a rear wheel QR skewer and a couple of washers.
    > >
    > > Works a treat!
    > >
    > > Mike
    >
    > Don't have splined - but thanks for the first tip! Star bloke..........
    >
    > Shaun aRe

    Just remember to take out the bolt/skewer after breaking loose the removable cup from the non-drive
    side. It's a M8x1.0 4cm long bolt for square taper.

    Mike - of course you knew that. ;^)

  11. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > > your

    > > > Now there's a mental image I could have done without tonight.
    > > >

    > > Hehehe...I've been living with that mental image for two years. I was standing not 20 feet from
    > > her when she dropped her drawers after
    crashing in
    > > the consolation round at Snowshoe and finished riding the course bare
    assed.
    > > You've probably seen the Sobe ad from the event.
    > >
    > > Mike
    >

    > I haven't....I didn't even hear about it!
    > --
    > Slacker

    http://www.pbase.com/image/16846010

    Mike - pleasant dreams Nels! ;^)

  12. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    > on

    > bike

    > > > Hehehe...I've been living with that mental image for two years. I was standing not 20 feet
    > > > from her when she dropped her drawers after
    > crashing in
    > > > the consolation round at Snowshoe and finished riding the course bare
    > assed.
    > > > You've probably seen the Sobe ad from the event.
    > > >
    > > > Mike
    > >

    > > I haven't....I didn't even hear about it!
    > > --
    > > Slacker
    > >

    > http://www.pbase.com/image/16846010
    >
    > Mike - pleasant dreams Nels! ;^)

    he he he, nice
    --
    ~Travis

  13. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > Keep that pesky BB tool from slipping and tearing up the splines on
    your
    > > > splined BB's.
    > > >
    > > > It's simple...
    > > >
    > > > http://www.pbase.com/image/16818276
    > > >
    > > > I used to use a bolt to hold it in place on the square taper type BB's
    > > which
    > > > doesn't work for splined ones.
    > >
    > > Now, why didn't I think of that!?!?!?!?
    > >
    > > > Hmmmm....<scratches head> AHH HA!!! Just use a rear wheel QR skewer and a couple of washers.
    > > >
    > > > Works a treat!
    > > >
    > > > Mike
    > >
    > > Don't have splined - but thanks for the first tip! Star bloke..........
    > >
    > > Shaun aRe
    > >

    > Just remember to take out the bolt/skewer after breaking loose the
    removable
    > cup from the non-drive side. It's a M8x1.0 4cm long bolt for square
    taper.

    > Mike - of course you knew that. ;^)

    Well 'duh!' ',;~}~

    That's why I'm surprised I hadn't thought of it all those times I struggled - I have a good
    improvisational and practical mind.

    Cheers again Mike.

    Shaun aRe

  14. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Keep that pesky BB tool from slipping and tearing up the splines on your splined BB's.
    >
    > It's simple...
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/16818276
    >
    > I used to use a bolt to hold it in place on the square taper type BB's which doesn't work for
    > splined ones. Hmmmm....<scratches head> AHH HA!!! Just use a rear wheel QR skewer and a couple of
    > washers.
    >
    > Works a treat!

    Looks like too much excess fiddling. I use a bolt, two big fatty washers and a wingnut.

    JD

  15. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > Keep that pesky BB tool from slipping and tearing up the splines on your splined BB's.
    >
    > It's simple...
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/16818276
    >
    > I used to use a bolt to hold it in place on the square taper type BB's which doesn't work for
    > splined ones. Hmmmm....<scratches head> AHH HA!!! Just use a rear wheel QR skewer and a couple of
    > washers.
    >
    > Works a treat!
    >
    > Mike

    always worked for me to grip the wrench with one hand and put pressure on the BB tool with the
    other. That BB John G. put in though, i had to use a breaker-bar (see *footnote for confused) ;-)

    *a breaker-bar to me is a 2 - 3 foot socket wrench (non-ratcheting) use as extra leverage. term
    coined from "to break loose a rusty nut/bolt". while others have informed me that a breaker-bar is
    also what a crowbar is sometimes called.
    --
    ~Travis

  16. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Keep that pesky BB tool from slipping and tearing up the splines on your splined BB's.
    > >
    > > It's simple...
    > >
    > > http://www.pbase.com/image/16818276
    > >
    > > I used to use a bolt to hold it in place on the square taper type BB's
    which
    > > doesn't work for splined ones. Hmmmm....<scratches head> AHH HA!!!
    Just
    > > use a rear wheel QR skewer and a couple of washers.
    > >
    > > Works a treat!
    >
    > Looks like too much excess fiddling. I use a bolt, two big fatty washers
    >

    >... and a wingnut.

    So you get Dave to hold the tool for you?

    Mike - Hate to think where the bolt and two big fatty washers go. ;^)

  17. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > > > Hehehe...I've been living with that mental image for two years. I was standing not 20 feet
    > > > from her when she dropped her drawers after
    > crashing in
    > > > the consolation round at Snowshoe and finished riding the course bare
    > assed.
    > > > You've probably seen the Sobe ad from the event.
    > > >
    > > > Mike
    > >

    > > I haven't....I didn't even hear about it!
    > > --
    > > Slacker
    > >

    > http://www.pbase.com/image/16846010
    >
    > Mike - pleasant dreams Nels! ;^)

    Man, that thing is awfully pink, don't ya think? And not very attractive either.
    --
    Slacker

  18. Superslinky

    Superslinky Guest

  19. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > > crashing in
    > > assed.

    > > > I haven't....I didn't even hear about it!
    > > > --
    > > > Slacker
    > > >

    > > http://www.pbase.com/image/16846010
    > >
    > > Mike - pleasant dreams Nels! ;^)
    >

    > Man, that thing is awfully pink, don't ya think? And not very attractive
    either.
    > --
    > Slacker

    She'd probably say the same about you! ;^)

    Mike - that's what color the ad was.

  20. Slacker

    Slacker Guest