Tools for replacing Chainset & Cassette

Stephen

Guest
Folks,
As title really, I want to replace my chainset and cassette on my 7 speed
MTB. What tools do I need?

Cheers
Stephen

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 20:04:55 +0000 (UTC), "Stephen"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Folks,
>As title really, I want to replace my chainset and cassette on my 7 speed
>MTB. What tools do I need?
>
>Cheers
>Stephen

I have just been doing this, this afternoon. This is what I used:

A crank puller, which needs to be compatible with your BB axle; there
is one type for an axle with a nut and another for an axle with a
bolt. I am assuming here, from your description, that you have not got
a splined BB - I have never done a splined and so cannot comment.
Shoule be less than £10 from your LBS.

A cassette lockring removel tool that matches your cassette. This will
be about £6 from the LBS.

Chain whip - this will be the expensive bit - I reckon between £15 and
£20, but you may be able to borrow one.

A Portable CD player and a few Richard Thompson CDs.

I think its worth buying this sort of kit because once you have it,
you will never stop using it.

John T.
Remove the singers of Spam before replying

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 20:28:58 +0000 (UTC), John Tomlinson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>As title really, I want to replace my chainset and cassette on my 7 speed
>>MTB. What tools do I need?

>A crank puller, which needs to be compatible with your BB axle; there
>is one type for an axle with a nut and another for an axle with a
>bolt. I am assuming here, from your description, that you have not got
>a splined BB - I have never done a splined and so cannot comment.
>Shoule be less than £10 from your LBS.
>
>A cassette lockring removel tool that matches your cassette. This will
>be about £6 from the LBS.
>
>Chain whip - this will be the expensive bit - I reckon between £15 and
>£20, but you may be able to borrow one.

Mike Dyason will seel you all of those items for about a fiver a piece
(and throw in free postage to boot).

I've got all of those tools and while they're not the highest quality,
they are more than adequate for the home bike mechanic.

http://www.mwdyason.ltd.uk/shop.asp?no_category=23&text_company=TOOLS

--

Call me "Bob"

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a
little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"

Benjamin Franklin

John Tomlinson wrote:
> Chain whip - this will be the expensive bit - I reckon between £15 and
> £20, but you may be able to borrow one.

Got mine from the LBS for under a tenner. Well worth having.

d.

"davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> John Tomlinson wrote:
>> Chain whip - this will be the expensive bit - I reckon between £15 and
>> £20, but you may be able to borrow one.

> Got mine from the LBS for under a tenner. Well worth having.
>
> d.

Even better - you can use an oil filter removal tool (can't remember the
exact name) which I've been told you can get from a pound shop if you look
hard enough, or £3.99 from Halfords.