Tools for replacing Klein bottom bracket?

Jesper Rasmusse

Guest
Hi!

Is it possible to replace the bottom bracket on a '94 Klein Pinnacle without the use of special
tools? Which tools are needed? I assume the bearings are standard types which can be had from the
local hardware-store, correct?

Would it be possible to cut a thread so a standard 68 or 73mm BB would fit?

TIA.

PS: X-posted to alt.mountain-bike and rec.bicycles.off-road

--
Best regards

Jesper

As I remember it the bearings were press fit, may have an internal snap ring for protection. You'll
need internal snap ring pliers to remove the snap ring, and a bearing puller/press to remove the
bearings and replace them. You can get replacement bearings by looking at the numbers on the dust
seals of the bearing and giving those to a bearing supply shop.

"Jesper Rasmussen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
berlin.de...
> Hi!
>
> Is it possible to replace the bottom bracket on a '94 Klein Pinnacle without the use of special
> tools? Which tools are needed? I assume the bearings are standard types which can be had from the
> local hardware-store, correct?
>
> Would it be possible to cut a thread so a standard 68 or 73mm BB would fit?
>
> TIA.
>
> PS: X-posted to alt.mountain-bike and rec.bicycles.off-road
>
> --
> Best regards
>
> Jesper
>
> --
> rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or
> contact the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
> http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

Hi,

i cannot recommend to do it without the proper special Klein tools but it can be done without
wrecking the frame. All you need is a hammer and some well fitting adaptors. There are no snap
rings, the bearings are pressed into the bb shell and locited and the spindle is pressed into the
bearings and loctited. You will need alot of force to break the loctite bond. I tried it without the
tools on an old Rascal frame (same bb as the Pinnacle) that was damaged anyhow and it worked well
but i would never do it on a frame that has some value to me. I am sure you can find a Klein dealer
who has the tools and knows how to use them. Latter is very important as even with these nice tools
one can damage the frame if not used properly...

I have build a tool myself for little money which works well, i can send you pictures if you want.

Better safe than sorry, these frames are too nice to damage them!

Regards, Carsten

news:<[email protected]>...

On 26 Jan 2004 06:55:56 -0800, Carsten wrote:

> I have build a tool myself for little money which works well, i can send you pictures if you want.

Yes please! My mail-address can be found in my signature.

> Better safe than sorry, these frames are too nice to damage them!

Yes indeed - it is a very nice frame and it definitely would be a shame to trash it!

--
/Jesper

Mail sent to "From address" will not be read! Use "news(at)jronline(dot)dk"