Tools for Seating Tire Bead

Caroline

Guest
I'm sick of puncturing inner tubes because I don't have that magic touch (which
I think is really manly strength) for replacing the tire on my road bike.

I groups.googled and saw mention of a device called a "Speed Lever" (this is the
trademark name, apparently.

Can anyone else recommend this or any other tool where I don't have to risk
puncturing the tire every time?

I am convinced I will not ever be able to do this with my bare hands.

Caroline
"Off to the Auto Parts store for some proper patch cement. *&^% buying a whole
new tire."

Have you partially inflated the tube before seating the tire?

--
Bob Wheeler --- http://www.bobwheeler.com/
ECHIP, Inc. ---

I have one of those tools. It would still be easy to pinch the tube,
although not quite as easy as with regular tire tools. The problem with the
tool you mentioned is that it tends to hang up when installing a new tire
with it due to the tackiness of the rubber. If you apply talcum powder to
the bead, it works fairly well, but still takes a bit of force to get the
tire over the edge of the rim.

"Caroline" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm sick of puncturing inner tubes because I don't have that magic touch

(which
> I think is really manly strength) for replacing the tire on my road bike.
>
> I groups.googled and saw mention of a device called a "Speed Lever" (this

is the
> trademark name, apparently.
>
> Can anyone else recommend this or any other tool where I don't have to

risk
> puncturing the tire every time?
>
> I am convinced I will not ever be able to do this with my bare hands.
>
> Caroline
> "Off to the Auto Parts store for some proper patch cement. *&^% buying a

whole
> new tire."

Yes. I follow the directions to the letter right up to the point of the final
seating, and these directions always say to partially inflate the tube.

I'm just inept at this very basic repair, or it truly does involve strength
which I do not possess, so I want a better tool.

"Bob Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote
> Have you partially inflated the tube before seating the tire?
>
> Caroline wrote:
> > I'm sick of puncturing inner tubes because I don't have that magic touch

(which
> > I think is really manly strength) for replacing the tire on my road bike.
> >
> > I groups.googled and saw mention of a device called a "Speed Lever" (this is

the
> > trademark name, apparently.
> >
> > Can anyone else recommend this or any other tool where I don't have to risk
> > puncturing the tire every time?
> >
> > I am convinced I will not ever be able to do this with my bare hands.
> >
> > Caroline
> > "Off to the Auto Parts store for some proper patch cement. *&^% buying a

whole
> > new tire."

I'll have to design something and try to market it. I do a lot of my own work on
my car and know of nothing that is such a bull--- design as this. Guess if a
bicycle tire stretcher could launch weapons, the Defense industry would have
solved this one long ago.

I appreciate your input.

"Floyd Sense" <[email protected]> wrote
> I have one of those tools. It would still be easy to pinch the tube,
> although not quite as easy as with regular tire tools. The problem with the
> tool you mentioned is that it tends to hang up when installing a new tire
> with it due to the tackiness of the rubber. If you apply talcum powder to
> the bead, it works fairly well, but still takes a bit of force to get the
> tire over the edge of the rim.
>
> "Caroline" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I'm sick of puncturing inner tubes because I don't have that magic touch

> (which
> > I think is really manly strength) for replacing the tire on my road bike.
> >
> > I groups.googled and saw mention of a device called a "Speed Lever" (this

> is the
> > trademark name, apparently.
> >
> > Can anyone else recommend this or any other tool where I don't have to

> risk
> > puncturing the tire every time?
> >
> > I am convinced I will not ever be able to do this with my bare hands.
> >
> > Caroline
> > "Off to the Auto Parts store for some proper patch cement. *&^% buying a

> whole
> > new tire."

"Caroline" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm sick of puncturing inner tubes because I don't have that magic

touch (which
> I think is really manly strength) for replacing the tire on my

road bike.

> I groups.googled and saw mention of a device called a "Speed

Lever" (this is the
> trademark name, apparently.
>
> Can anyone else recommend this or any other tool where I don't

have to risk
> puncturing the tire every time?
>
> I am convinced I will not ever be able to do this with my bare

hands.

> Caroline
> "Off to the Auto Parts store for some proper patch cement. *&^%

buying a whole
> new tire."

I use Michelin tyre levers, they are nice and wide, a grooves to get
your rim and tyre casing into for good leverage. Use all 3 at once
with some practice. They are light and compact, easy to find when
you inevitablly drop them on the verge, and won't damage your rim,
tube or tyre.

Scroll down to this product at this link:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?Category=puncture kits

The Park Tyre Levers TL1C on the same link look pretty good too,
though they don't look as compact as the Michelin ones.

Caroline wrote:
> I'll have to design something and try to market it. I do a lot of my own work on
> my car and know of nothing that is such a bull--- design as this. Guess if a
> bicycle tire stretcher could launch weapons, the Defense industry would have
> solved this one long ago.
>
> I appreciate your input.
>

> "Floyd Sense" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>>I have one of those tools. It would still be easy to pinch the tube,
>>although not quite as easy as with regular tire tools. The problem with the
>>tool you mentioned is that it tends to hang up when installing a new tire
>>with it due to the tackiness of the rubber. If you apply talcum powder to
>>the bead, it works fairly well, but still takes a bit of force to get the
>>tire over the edge of the rim.
>>
>>"Caroline" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>I'm sick of puncturing inner tubes because I don't have that magic touch

>>(which
>>
>>>I think is really manly strength) for replacing the tire on my road bike.
>>>
>>>I groups.googled and saw mention of a device called a "Speed Lever" (this

>>is the
>>
>>>trademark name, apparently.
>>>
>>>Can anyone else recommend this or any other tool where I don't have to

>>risk
>>
>>>puncturing the tire every time?
>>>
>>>I am convinced I will not ever be able to do this with my bare hands.
>>>
>>>Caroline
>>>"Off to the Auto Parts store for some proper patch cement. *&^% buying a

>>whole
>>
>>>new tire."

don't reinvent the wheel just
yet..http://www.parktool.com/tools/TL_10.shtml

"mrbubl" <[email protected]> wrote
> don't reinvent the wheel just
> yet..http://www.parktool.com/tools/TL_10.shtml

Now that's engineering!

Have you used this?

I'll be checking bike stores in my area tomorrow morning. If I can't find it
locally, then, shucks, I'll manufacture one myself using the photos at the site.

Thanks mrbubl, JH, Floyd and Bob for your input.

Caroline said:
"mrbubl" <[email protected]> wrote
> don't reinvent the wheel just
> yet..http://www.parktool.com/tools/TL_10.shtml

Now that's engineering!

Have you used this?

I'll be checking bike stores in my area tomorrow morning. If I can't find it
locally, then, shucks, I'll manufacture one myself using the photos at the site.

Thanks mrbubl, JH, Floyd and Bob for your input.

Shop around for a "Quick Stick". Its a tough, Nylon tire tool that works like the Park tool, only it can be carried along on rides. It doesn't pivot on the hub as its held by one hand but it functions jusk like it.

I had a tough set of tires on my mountain bike that were impossible to mount/dismount with any levers. This tool worked like a charm. The only problem was after 2 years, the tool eventually cut the beads but by that time, the tires were toast.

"Caroline" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm sick of puncturing inner tubes because I don't have that magic touch (which
> I think is really manly strength) for replacing the tire on my road bike.
>
> I groups.googled and saw mention of a device called a "Speed Lever" (this is the
> trademark name, apparently.
>
> Can anyone else recommend this or any other tool where I don't have to risk
> puncturing the tire every time?
>
> I am convinced I will not ever be able to do this with my bare hands.
>
> Caroline
> "Off to the Auto Parts store for some proper patch cement. *&^% buying a whole
> new tire."

Check out: http://www.thebiketool.com/en/

I started using one of these recently and it works great.

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 22:23:47 GMT, "Caroline"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm sick of puncturing inner tubes because I don't have that magic touch (which
>I think is really manly strength) for replacing the tire on my road bike.
>
>I groups.googled and saw mention of a device called a "Speed Lever" (this is the
>trademark name, apparently.
>
>Can anyone else recommend this or any other tool where I don't have to risk
>puncturing the tire every time?
>
>I am convinced I will not ever be able to do this with my bare hands.
>
>Caroline
>"Off to the Auto Parts store for some proper patch cement. *&^% buying a whole
>new tire."

The Speed Lever is by Cranks Brothers-

http://www.gearhead.com/gh/staffreviews.htm?sid=526022K3942593&secid=0&itemid=92

http://www.cambriabike.com/tools/crank_bros_speed_lever.htm

You still have to be careful about getting the tube out of the way,
but it is safer than using regular tire levers. It is somewhat flimsy,
but once I figured out how to push it properly it worked for mounting.
Then again, I used it for mounting just once as a test- I can use my
hands, so maybe anyone without the hand strength to mount a tire
wouldn't be able to use the Speed Lever?

The Park tool someone else posted looks like a much more solid version
of the Speed Lever. The only advantage to the Speed Lever is that it
collapses and could be carried on the bike.

Caroline wrote:
> "mrbubl" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>>don't reinvent the wheel just
>>yet..http://www.parktool.com/tools/TL_10.shtml

> Now that's engineering!
>
> Have you used this?
>
> I'll be checking bike stores in my area tomorrow morning. If I can't find it
> locally, then, shucks, I'll manufacture one myself using the photos at the site.
>
> Thanks mrbubl, JH, Floyd and Bob for your input.

Yup sure have and it works great when your fingers are not enough. Not
stocked by your LBS but available for order. Got mine as a gift and
continue to use it in wonder why i waited so long to get one. Better
than the crank bros unit (have one of those too)

mrbubl

> The Speed Lever is by Cranks Brothers-
>
> http://www.gearhead.com/gh/staffreviews.htm?sid=526022K3942593&secid=0&itemid=92
>
> http://www.cambriabike.com/tools/crank_bros_speed_lever.htm
>
> You still have to be careful about getting the tube out of the way,
> but it is safer than using regular tire levers. It is somewhat flimsy,
> but once I figured out how to push it properly it worked for mounting.
> Then again, I used it for mounting just once as a test- I can use my
> hands, so maybe anyone without the hand strength to mount a tire
> wouldn't be able to use the Speed Lever?
>
> The Park tool someone else posted looks like a much more solid version
> of the Speed Lever. The only advantage to the Speed Lever is that it
> collapses and could be carried on the bike.

And the Speed Lever is only $5.99 in all of the mail order catalogs
like Nashbar and Performance and Colorado Cyclist, etc. So it pays to
try it first. I have the Speed Lever and it works fine. I have used
it to mount tires on my Campagnolo Vento wheels. Campagnolo boutique
wheels are notoriously hard to mount tires on. You need lots of thumb
strength to do it without a tire lever. The Speed Lever still
requires strength, but not as much and the force is applied
differently. So the thumb strength to roll the tire over at the last
moment isn't as important to operate the Speed lever.

Next time you order from a catalog, buy the Speed Lever and try it.
If you don't like it, send it back. No harm done.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
>I'm sick of puncturing inner tubes because I don't have that magic touch

(which
>I think is really manly strength) for replacing the tire on my road bike.
>I groups.googled and saw mention of a device called a "Speed Lever" (this is

the
>trademark name, apparently.
>Can anyone else recommend this or any other tool where I don't have to risk
>puncturing the tire every time?
>I am convinced I will not ever be able to do this with my bare hands.

The speed lever works ok if your tires are not of the really tight fitting
variety. If they are tight fitting, then the speed lever sucks. You may
want to look into getting a set of Var tire levers. You can use them to
put even the most stubborn tire back on the rim without pinching the tube.
---------------
Alex

Your best bet is to partially inflate the tube (just enough to make it
round, not stretch the rubber). this will help keep folds of tube from
being pinched between tire and rim.

Make sure all the tube is inside the rim and carefully push the tire
bead over it, again, being careful not to get any of the tube in between
tire and rim.

Use the heels of your hands, your wrists are much stronger than your
fingers. Work in opposite directions and move them towards each other,
otherwise you will end up chasing the bead around the wheel. DO NOT USE
TOOLS. As you near the last few inches, let a little air out of the tube
if necessary to make it easier to get them over the side of the rim.

Make sure the bead is seated around the entire tire, push the valve stem
up into the tire to get the thicker part where it's connected to the
tube up inside the tire (you'll feel it pop into place). Inflate the
tire, again making sure the bead is properly seated and won't blow off
at full pressure.

- -

"May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Update:

Bought the Crank Brothers Speed Lever. I am very pleased with it.

Detail:
After studying what people said and the links to which people sent me, and after
speaking to one bike shop, I (finally) figured out the Crank Brothers "Speed
Lever" is just a collapsible, lightweight version of the Park TL-10. (The photos
show it collapsed, so I was confused about how all it worked until I looked
closer at some of the drawings and what people like Dan said.)

I couldn't find the Park TL-10 locally. One store (of about ten) in my area had
the Crank Brothers Speed Lever. I didn't want to wait a week using mail order.
Also, as Russell suggested, I figured I could return the Crank Brothers Speed
Lever if I was careful with the packaging and any attempts to make it work. The
shop said that would be fine. Lastly, the Speed Lever is a lot cheaper than the
TL-10, at under $10 vs. over $20.

With a lot more baby powder; a little more air in the new inner tube; and
adjusting the air in the inner tube as needed as I checked for an even fit all
around the rim as I pushed the outer tire into place, the Speed Lever made
installation much easier. IMO there was much less risk of puncturing the tube.
One still has to be careful, as several of you said.

I did both wheels today, as the other wheel's outer tire was very worn so I
replaced it, too.

My blood pressure is way lower from my efforts yesterday. ;-) Overall I'm
pleased enough that I'm thinking of *starting* to carry a spare tube and my new
Speed Lever with me on all bike trips. I never did that before, mostly because
it was a roll of the dice as to whether I could do the reinstallation without a
puncture. Consequently, yesterday on an otherwise beautiful, flat, 30+ mile ride
along the Rio Grande yesterday, I rode with a flat for the last five miles(!)

I think I'll wipe the slate clean and start fresh again on another river ride on
Monday.

For the archives (and as some measure perhaps of what wheels the Speed Lever
works well on), my 1986 Vitus road bicycle's wheels are Mavic MA-40, taking 700
x 25 tires.

Thanks also to Weisse, Chris, Jonathan, Alex, Dan, Russell, and g. Daniels for
posting since I last posted. All the input helped me to make what I think was a
good decision.

"Russell Seaton" <[email protected]> wrote
Dan wrote

Caroline wrote:

> Update:
>
> Bought the Crank Brothers Speed Lever. snip....

For future reference if you have some really tight tires as spares,
mount them for a couple of days then take them off and they will be much
easier when you really need them. Found this out the hard way in the
middle of BF nowhere without prior experience. Found out the hard way
what you really need in the way of "necessories" should include a folder
for those glass bottles that don't know when to say stop along with a
tube patch kit pump.....etc.....

mrbubl