Tools for Seating Tire Bead

"mrbubl" <[email protected]> wrote
> Caroline wrote:
>
> > Update:
> >
> > Bought the Crank Brothers Speed Lever. snip....

> For future reference if you have some really tight tires as spares,
> mount them for a couple of days then take them off and they will be much
> easier when you really need them.

Indeed, I should have mentioned that, had I not also been installing a brand new
outer tire, the difficulty would have been much less. (I tried installing the
old tire to experiment a bit, expecting it to be easier, and noticed this.)

> Found this out the hard way in the
> middle of BF nowhere without prior experience. Found out the hard way
> what you really need in the way of "necessories" should include a folder
> for those glass bottles that don't know when to say stop along with a
> tube patch kit pump.....etc.....

Ya, I forgot I'll have to go buy a bike-mountable pump. Or get back the old
boyfriend who used to carry one for the two of us(!) ;-)

Caroline
"Dames... "

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> Caroline Wrote:
> > "mrbubl" <[email protected]> wrote
> > > don't reinvent the wheel just
> > > yet..http://www.parktool.com/tools/TL_10.shtml

> > Now that's engineering!
> >
> > Have you used this?
> >
> > I'll be checking bike stores in my area tomorrow morning. If I can't
> > find it
> > locally, then, shucks, I'll manufacture one myself using the photos at
> > the site.
> >
> > Thanks mrbubl, JH, Floyd and Bob for your input.

> Shop around for a "Quick Stick". Its a tough, Nylon tire tool that
> works like the Park tool, only it can be carried along on rides. It
> doesn't pivot on the hub as its held by one hand but it functions jusk
> like it.

I'll second this idea. For about 6 years I have used a no-name plastic
version which collapses to about 120 mm length. It is great for mounting
tight tires (like old Continentals) on shallow rim beds (like Mavic MA2)
with thick rim tape (like Velox).

In article <[email protected]>, "Caroline"
<[email protected]> writes:

>I am convinced I will not ever be able to do this with my bare hands.

There is one thing you should consider. It is possible to produce just a
little more slack in your tire, which in many cases will make it possible for a
mere mortal to get the tire on.

1. Patially mount the tire, working it on until it becomes tight.
2. While holding the wheel and tire up against your stomach with that last bit
of unmounted tire facing away from you and the far side up against a wall or
tree or something (spouses aren't very good for this) start squeezing the
(right and left) beads together toward the middle of the rim on the side
closest to you.
3. Continue squeezing them together as you work toward the far side.
4. When you get to the unmounted portion attempt to slip the tire the rest of
the way on the rim.
5. At this point try pulling the tire away from the rim by holding the body of
the tire with your hands rather than using your thumbs (OWWWWW).
6. If it doesn't work on the first try go back to step #2 and start over.

What you are doing is positioning the beads in the middle of the rim where it
is generally a little lower than the outside edges where the bead seats which
generates just a little slack, which is often enough to get the job done.

Do make sure you don't have any tube trapped under the beads, and be prepared
for a little (more) frustration, but it does work with all my tight tire and
rim combos, including one on which I have broken tire levers. It is much
easier on an older tire than it is on a nice sticky new tire.

Even if the above doesn't appeal and the tire tool you might have purchased by
now does all that you want, try the technique when you are removing a tire.
Simply squeeze the beads together all the way around and then try the tire
levers. It is always easier for me that way.

Tom Gibb <[email protected]>